Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1.    #1  
    I want an app made for as many mobile platforms as possible (webos various versions, ios, blackberry, android)

    would be a simple app, main purpose to stream my 24/7 insternet stream, and stream or download podcasts that appear in that stream (all the property of the comp. I volunteer for).

    bids?
    Last edited by patricksmangan; 03/09/2011 at 10:31 AM.
  2. #2  
    My rate is generally $150/hr. Just to give you an idea of what you can expect. But I don't really think this is the appropriate place to be scouting developers.
  3. #3  
    <thread moved to webOS Development>
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    $150/hr
    Damn! Lol
  5. #5  
    Custom apps are REALLY expensive. I've never seen anyone who wanted to pay more than a few dollars per hour, when all is said and done.
  6. #6  
    Custom apps are REALLY expensive. I've never seen anyone who wanted to pay more than a few dollars per hour, when all is said and done.
    Not to mention that creating a cross-platform app, each with their own languages and quirks would drive the price up quickly.
    Richard Neff

    My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

    My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    My rate is generally $150/hr.
    Hey, I can do it for half that...but it will take me twice as long.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Hey, I can do it for half that...but it will take me twice as long.
    Boo. Do devs ever charge by project (app)?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    Boo. Do devs ever charge by project (app)?
    Yes, they do...sometimes. Many work hourly but there those that will do a fix bid. Don't expect it to be inexpensive. There are companies dedicated to this sort of thing that you can google for. There are also sites you can go to in order to hire devs for small projects and they come in both the hourly and fixed variety.
  10. #10  
    If you PM me more details, I might be able to do this. I'm not entirely certain, but keep in mind (as others have said) that these things aren't very low price.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  11.    #11  
    well, if its so much, what about a simple app just to stream my company's online radio station on every major platform? Maybe with future further development when we start monitizing.

    mobile apps would just be ideal for those who havnt patched to get the stream option on webos in a browser download, and for earlier android builds that we havnt gotten one of the streaming files to work on.
    Last edited by patricksmangan; 03/09/2011 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Spellchecking
  12. #12  
    And that $150/hr is probably paid in advance. We (the various developers here) have seen lots of "I've got this idea that will make jillions", usually followed by some proposal that says developer signs NDA w/ non-compete, developer spends 20 hrs/day for 3 months writing app for $632 (all the money the requestor has ever seen in his life), requestor sells 8.4 billion copies and moves to the Caribbean islands to drink his/her life away on the beach, developer goes onto next contract with $437 in is pocket(the last payment was a bad check).

    Everyone who isn't a developer thinks their idea is the best idea ever and as such they should be able to retire on it next week because everyone on the planet will want it. Usually the idea was tried 46 times last week and failed miserably each time. But we'll never know for sure because the idea person wants me to spend $900 in legal fees to evaluate his/her various NDA contracts.
    Author of Exch-Calc, Dog Years, Cat Years and all future creations of Pre-zy Software. Available in the Application Catalog.
  13. #13  
    You can try looking for better bids in outsourcing sites IF you didn't like the bids here :P

    Here are the top 6 outsourcing sites you could choose from:
    1. oDesk
    2. Freelancer
    3. Scriptlance
    4. Elance
    5. Guru
    6. vWorker

    You don't have to worry about scams since you can always check the profiles of service providers and see their ratings, feedback and portfolios for you to decide whether or not that certain service provider can be trusted. And if you are worrying about quality, you can also check their previous works/jobs and as mentioned - portfolios can be a great source to see their skills.

    Also, you can post job requirements on the outsourcing sites and wait for people to bid for your job posting. Just make sure to post your job with complete details so that service providers will know and understand the job, thus making a reasonable bid.
  14. #14  
    Feature creep is a huge problem, also. I've had people tell me what they wanted, and I provided it. But when they use it, they ALWAYS want more (without paying for it).
  15.    #15  
    so I figured out how to get the stream into radio time, so that's a start NWCZ Radio - - Listen Online. I was messing around with ares yesterday. I was wondering if html5 support will be coming? In enyo? That would make all this super easy!
  16. DocLee's Avatar
    Posts
    342 Posts
    Global Posts
    345 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by patricksmangan View Post
    so I figured out how to get the stream into radio time, so that's a start NWCZ Radio - - Listen Online. I was messing around with ares yesterday. I was wondering if html5 support will be coming? In enyo? That would make all this super easy!
    You may as well just let us handle it. If you're stream is compatible with WebOS, it will also be available in our applications for iOS, Blackberry, Android, Nokia, GoogleTV, Roku, Bada, Yahoo TV Widgets, Windows Mobile/Phone 7...as well as the Logitech Squeezebox, Sonos, and the BMW Mini connected internet radio.

    If you update your station schedule and categories, we can setup the podcasts as well to appear under the live stream.

    Doc

    TuneIn Radio
    RadioTime Inc.
    Follow TuneIn on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/tunein
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by DocLee View Post
    You may as well just let us handle it. If you're stream is compatible with WebOS, it will also be available in our applications for iOS, Blackberry, Android, Nokia, GoogleTV, Roku, Bada, Yahoo TV Widgets, Windows Mobile/Phone 7...as well as the Logitech Squeezebox, Sonos, and the BMW Mini connected internet radio.

    If you update your station schedule and categories, we can setup the podcasts as well to appear under the live stream.

    Doc

    TuneIn Radio
    RadioTime Inc.
    oh i have, thanks! NWCZ Radio - Tacoma, WA - Listen Online

    the boss, who doesnt know about tech really, keeps asking about our own app though lol
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken M View Post
    And that $150/hr is probably paid in advance. We (the various developers here) have seen lots of "I've got this idea that will make jillions", usually followed by some proposal that says developer signs NDA w/ non-compete, developer spends 20 hrs/day for 3 months writing app for $632 (all the money the requestor has ever seen in his life), requestor sells 8.4 billion copies and moves to the Caribbean islands to drink his/her life away on the beach, developer goes onto next contract with $437 in is pocket(the last payment was a bad check).

    Everyone who isn't a developer thinks their idea is the best idea ever and as such they should be able to retire on it next week because everyone on the planet will want it. Usually the idea was tried 46 times last week and failed miserably each time. But we'll never know for sure because the idea person wants me to spend $900 in legal fees to evaluate his/her various NDA contracts.
    apologize in advance for completely hijacking this thread but: I am looking to be one of the jerks you describe in the 1st paragraph (minus the fleeing the country and writing bad checks). I am shocked at how expensive programming is to hire. How can it possibly cost $6,000 for a week worth of programming. Unless my math is off, thats an equivalent of over $300k salary. So the only alternative is outsourcing? I don't think I'm being cheap but those numbers sound ludicrous to me. If this is not the correct forum for this conversation, please let me know where is.

    *I don't mean to tell anyone what their time is or is not worth, I just am surprised.
    Last edited by Courousant; 03/22/2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Edited to sound less jerky
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by UntidyGuy View Post
    Well, if you buy 50 weeks worth of programming rather than one then there's probably a significant discount to be had - probably 50%. Also, who are you going to get to maintain the code? A new version of a mobile OS comes out like two or three times a year, each of which has the potential to require some kind of update.
    my particular project is for PC software (although if successful, apps would be in store down the line).

    Anyway, I think that programmers deserve to make that kind of $, but to be honest, I am a bit surprised that they do given the current economy (US).
  20. #20  
    I believe I have fully displayed my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Posting Permissions