webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > webOsSyncML
webOsSyncML
Like Tree7Likes

Old 10/07/2012, 02:58 PM   #101 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I submitted a version with experimental contact support. Currently I advise you to be very careful and maybe only use / try one way from server sync.

For example images are not working (and I currently don't have a clue how to get them working). Some servers behave very strange here, too... I fear they need some configuration for the client to accept/interpret the data and save the fields... for example eGroupware does cripple contacts, even if the vcard look exactly like the vcard it did send to my app. :-(
I just recognized an issue with special characters which don't get decoded properly... but I don't have time to fix that today (or maybe even this week)...

But it's a first step and more will follow someday...
Garfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by makalawe likes this.
Thanked By: makalawe
Old 10/07/2012, 07:07 PM   #102 (permalink)

Hello,

so... Roll on the next steps!!!

Many many thanks once again for all your job from which we all profit.

Thus, thanks again, and good luck for your next... Er... Tasks!
makalawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/08/2012, 03:00 PM   #103 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Uh... had a nasty bug... app would forget One-Way-From-Server if the server requests a slow sync and switch to two-way... that should be fixed now.

I'll try to find some time to look into the character encoding issue later this week. *sigh*. And then I think I'll need to hack egroupware to know my app... I've seen that it can sync photos also. I want that.
Thanked By: makalawe
Old 11/10/2012, 06:16 AM   #104 (permalink)

Hi Garfonso,

before I dig in too deep and get out disappointed - one question: will SyncML work with a Pre 1.4.5 (German o2) and a TouchPad 3.0.5?

As I understand your posts/descriptions it only works Pre 2.0 upwards? But would it also work with my TP alone or do I need an installation of SynML on each device I use (and want to sync, that is)?

Last edited by ced68; 11/10/2012 at 10:01 AM.
ced68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/11/2012, 04:24 PM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced68 View Post
Hi Garfonso,

before I dig in too deep and get out disappointed - one question: will SyncML work with a Pre 1.4.5 (German o2) and a TouchPad 3.0.5?

As I understand your posts/descriptions it only works Pre 2.0 upwards? But would it also work with my TP alone or do I need an installation of SynML on each device I use (and want to sync, that is)?
OK, after some email exchange with Garfonso (thanks again for that) I managed to install the old SyncML app on my Pre 1.4.5 and the current version on my TouchPad 3.0.5. As I run my Pre on a German o2 contract and therefore have already an account at o2, I chose the o2 SyncML Server for testing. I succeded in configuring and connecting both devices. Unfortunately on the TouchPad there is no successful data exchange, i.e. Calendar events are not synced to/with the server (calendar entries I created in the o2 Communication Center are not synced to my TouchPad). On my Pre a sync seems to work one way: entries in the Pre SyncML calendar are not synced to the o2 server, but the calendar entry I created there was synced back to my Pre. I tried different options in the configuration (two-ways,slow, one-way server/client). Definitely not working is a sync between my two devices.

So everyone who successfully managed to set up a working sync with the o2 server: any hints or suggestions that might help me?

Thanks to all in advance.
Old 11/12/2012, 08:34 AM   #106 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'll try to get the old version running on my pixi and have a look at what happens for the o2 server... and I'll try to get the o2 server running with a touchpad emulator... this worked at some point. Not sure what is broken. :-(
Thanked By: ced68
Old 11/12/2012, 03:54 PM   #107 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
I'll try to get the old version running on my pixi and have a look at what happens for the o2 server... and I'll try to get the o2 server running with a touchpad emulator... this worked at some point. Not sure what is broken. :-(
Thanks for all your efforts!
I'll keep on trying & testing.

Could it be that Ubercalendar is somehow conflicting with Sync ML?
I have it installed on both my devices and at least on my Pre Ubercalendar behaves a bit strange with the SyncML calendar/account (the SyncML calendar seems to ignore some UC settings like in enhanced view day the "compress all free" toggle).
Old 11/12/2012, 04:43 PM   #108 (permalink)

Ok, did some more testing on my Pre. I created 2 calendar events in the o2 Communication Center (I have a German o2 post paid contract with my pre): an allday event and an one hour event. I synced with the SyncML app (two-way) and both events were imported in the SyncML calendar on my Pre. Two strange things, though: it seems that I have always have to sync ("start sync") a second time before the events on the o2 server are synced to the Pre. And, second, the calendar events I created on the Pre in the SyncML calendar are not synced to the o2 calendar on the o2 Server/Comm.Center.

Another thing: a calendar entry created as an allday event on the o2 Server/Comm.Center shows up on the Pre/ SyncML calendar not as allday but as an event lasting 24 hours.

And one more thing (Garfonso knows already): the time zone problem exist in both directions: events from the Pre show up in the o2 calendar in Zulu time (i.e. +1 hour from German time) as well as the events imported from o2 to the Pre.

ps: Just was informed that the first strange thing with the Pre SyncML app is not strange but normal (i.e. hitting "start sync" twice) - it's a feature, not a bug!

Last edited by ced68; 11/12/2012 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10/11/2013, 02:43 AM   #109 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Development of the SyncML synergy connector is currently halted. SyncML support on the server side seems to fade out... the new big thing seems to be caldav.

So, I put all my spare time right now into a caldav/carddav synergy connector which is meant to come a long with open webos ports, but is also working on legacy devices. The implementation is much more stable, also because caldav is much easier than SyncML, and already gives a pretty stable downsync of calendar and contact data from multiple caldav servers. Upsync is currently worked on, but to much alpha right now.
If you are interested, you can follow development here:
https://github.com/webOS-ports/org.w...ntacts.carddav
(or my own, more experimental, fork: https://github.com/Garfonso/org.webo...ntacts.carddav )

Hopefully we'll see some kind of alpha release, soon.

PS: I also added this information to the first post, so new people should see it right away.
PPS: If you really are in need of a SyncML connector and can't ever use caldav (and the current connector is not good enough for you), feel free to contact me with specific issues/needs.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0