Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #81  
    Yes, Check credentials won't work with onemediahub.com, right now... I don't really know why... they always return an error 500. Something seems to confuse their XML parser... need to look into that. :-(

Until that works, I recommend creating the account from the syncml app itself.

If you get the duplicate account errors, then that might be that there is another account with the same name or the same username! Yes.. the last is really true... I got caught by that, too... you can't have two accounts with the same username.. that's just stupid. I needed to create the account with a wrong username and change the name later on (which worked and did not produce any issues, till now ).

Anyway, there is a new version that should help with some errors you had because of special characters in the calendar data, because it now b64 encodes everything. Hope that helps..

@gizmo21: you were testing with the O2 server, right? Somehow I can't get the O2 Server to add anything to it's own calendar right now... could you try that with the newest version? I'm not sure if I just broke the O2 Server (because I had >10 handys there from all the tests ) or if I broke my app to now work with the O2 server anymore...
    Hi Garfonso,

Dis you actually reply to my post in your #81 ? From what I read, I don't think so...

The checkCredentials worked alright with syncEvolution on port 9000

From the log I attached in my last post, it seems that syncML client loops on a createAccount even though the account successfully created with accountApp is correctly found

I'll try with your latest release 0.1.15, but from the change logs I don't expect improvements on this behaviour

Thanks anyway for the great job you're doing: you're my only hope for being able to use the Pre+ webOS 2.1.0 that has been living in standalone mode, thanks to Palm & HP

Ok, I've tried and I think we are approaching , but we're still not there (one more week with my old Palm Centro ).

Two logs attached in the same zip. The first one is where, having successfully created the account in the appAccount, I sync with the Two-Way setting. The second one is with the Refresh from Server after having added 2 events in the server calendar.
    I'll wait for your analysis of these because I can't see any meaningful information for me

Thanks again
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by soyonsfous; 06/03/2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Updated with results from last try with 0.1.15
    Hi. Firstly, many thanks for Garfonso for this great piece of work! Very glad to have found it.

I have some related questions below. The good news is that, on finding this app, I can see a way to locally manage my calendar between my Pre3 and local (linux) client. In the "worst case" it looks like I can sync directly between syncevolution and webossyncml.

In spending a while investigating this, I realised the best solution would be setting up some kind of calendaring server at home. I see that Garfonso is using egroupware, and I'm strongly considering using this just because it works with his app!

However, I can't help feel that SyncML is on it's way out and that CalDAV is where most servers and clients are heading, and wondered about your thoughts on this?

e.g.

- the egroupware 1.8 release notes say "CalDAV/CardDAV is now recommended over SyncML, which will be no longer supported in the next major release"

- both Evolution and Lightning/Thunderbird support CalDAV, but not syncml

Part of it is that, personally, I'm not a fan of the Evolution calendar, and the obvious solution for working with Lightning would be to set up a CalDAV server.

I could doubtless set up something hacky with both a CalDAV server and syncevolution for syncml; and, as I say, for starters I can just sync to one machine with syncevolution directly.

I just wondered whey you folks see things heading?

P.S. I'm also unhappy about exposing syncevolution without https - any hints about fixing this?
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by krpage View Post
    - the egroupware 1.8 release notes say "CalDAV/CardDAV is now recommended over SyncML, which will be no longer supported in the next major release"
    Hm.. didn't know that. Makes me a bit sad.

- both Evolution and Lightning/Thunderbird support CalDAV, but not syncml
    But you'd still need a server (http + WebDAV) for CalDav. Or do they also act as server?
    JFYI: There is a syncml connector for thunderbird by funambol.

I just wondered whey you folks see things heading?
    I think SyncML will still stick some time. At least with many cooperate servers. In theory SyncML is much more flexible than CalDav seems to be, you can sync about anything... One thing I'm missing about CalDav is that the server handles conflicts. I must admit, I did not dig very deep into that, yet... but I never heard about the server doing anything apart from just supplying a bunch of files and some permission management. So the complete sync logic would have to happen on the client. I don't really like that.

If anybody wants to implement a CalDav client, he can find all the code I wrote for the SyncML client on github and I'll be willing to help out. The iCal parser can sure be reused (there is an internal iCal parser in webOS, also, but that fails for some iCals I got from eGroupware, especially if the contain attendees and get a bit more complicated).

P.S. I'm also unhappy about exposing syncevolution without https - any hints about fixing this?
    eGroupware works with https
    Last edited by Garfonso; 06/04/2012 at 04:00 AM.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    But you'd still need a server (http + WebDAV) for CalDav. Or do they also act as server?
    Yes, I would also need a Caldav/webdav+ server. However, these seem to be a lot simpler than the SyncML alternatives - there are several standalone caldav servers. The simplicity may, as you note, be because the sync implementations are less sophisticated.

eGroupware, for example, almost has too many features for my needs It's main strength from my perspective is that it could do both SyncML and Caldav on the back end, but I don't really need the front end.

Thanks! That's really useful to know. Do you know if it's still in active development?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thu...nt-l/versions/ suggests it's not being kept up to date with Thunderbird.

And I haven't been able to reach the funambol forge sites in the last few days, including https://mozilla-plugin.forge.funambol.org/

Anyway, I think I'll have a go at Evolution<->syncevolution<->Pre(SyncML) and/or Evolution(CalDav)<->eGroupware<->Pre(SyncML).

Have you had any calendar compatibility issues with eGroupware?

(Ironically the calendar data is from my Treo680, but Evolution seems to have imported that ok)
    Hello,
    Quote Originally Posted by krpage
    Thanks! That's really useful to know. Do you know if it's still in active development?
    yes it is : https://files.maurus.net/
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Thanks Garfonso for your work!

These are my results on a recurring event sync, from Evolution to Pre via SyncEvolution: (Using Evolution 3.2.2, SyncEvolution 1.2.2-1, webOsSyncML 0.1.16)

Event type: >> Every month, 1st sunday, Forever <<

* When the event is created on the Pre, the sync works fine. The event does appear as a recurring event on Evolution.

* When the event is created on Evolution, the sync creates a single event on the Pre. No recurrence.

Anyone else with a similar setup that would test this too? (thnks)

Garfonso: Sending you the log.

Soyonsfous: PM'ed
  8.    #88  
    Ok, I have some first version of automatic sync implemented.

It is deactivated by default. You can enable it for every account in the config scene. There are two options, one is an automatic sync every X hours (I suggest to not sync too often) and then you can activate a database watch.

The db watch is highly experimental, currently... if you experience battery drain, better deactivate it. The idea behind the db watch is, that changes on the device get pushed to the server immediately... I configured it as low priority background activity, but on my tests the sync literally is done immediately... so if this bogs down your device to much during calendar edits, better disable it.

So, if you feel brave, go and update.
    makalawe likes this.
    Garfonso,

first of all thank you very much for all the efforts, ideas and all the code. I think syncing is one of the most important things I have on my wishlist.

Today I tried syncml on my Touchpad running webOS 3.0.5. I installed it from preware without any issues. I deleted at first my google calendar on the Touchpad to avoid any disturbance. Then I created a new account on onemediahub for testing, my standard account was untouched. After testing the new account I tried to setup synml on my Touchpad with:

server https://onemediahub.com/m
    my telefon-number
    my password

two-way sync

Unfortunately the result was:

"Credentials were wrong or could not be checked. Message: ExceptionConnectionError: No connection to server, even after retries."

I started calendar on the Touchpad and opened accounts, but got only a white screen. I tried it several times without success.

Only a reboot solved this issue and I could open calendar accounts again.

Later I tried it with the old funambol server https://my.funambol.com/sync with the same result.

What should I try now? Any hints are appreciated.

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend.
  10.    #90  
    Hi.

Onemediahub / funambol still has some issues with the app... I'm not entirely shure, why, but apparently my app crashesh their webserver thread, on the checkcredentials call. So don't press the checkcredentials button, but just use the back gesture (yeah, I'm sorry, still now touchpad optimized). A sync should then work... I didn't have time to look into this and I don't have a real idea what is causing this. The issue with "checkCredentials" is that there is no real way in SyncML to do that... so every server seems to do their own stuff, if they do something at all... I know that funambol has some method to checkCredentials and I'll look into that again, when I find the time...

Ah, by the way, I'm always syncing against https://onemediahub.com/sync with my Username.... so if the mobile version gives you issues, you might want to try that. But I'm quite optimistic that the mobile stuff should work also... as I said: the sync should work out fine, if you supplied the correct credentials. At least it works for me.

That the calendar got stuck is a bit strange.. hm.. should not happen. I have a rough idea what might have been the issue.. should only appear on (failed) account creation, though. If that happens again, please report the .info.mobo.syncml.log from your usb-drive back to me (easiest way: use send log in the SyncML app)

BTW: You did not have to delete your google account... that's the nice thing about synergy: you can easily have multiple accounts from different providers and my app won't even be able to notice them.

To the people watching: I'm currently working on contact sync... I'm kind of stuck currently, but frustration level did not yet rise about my "throw that **** away" level... *sigh*
    Thank you very much for your fast reply, I never expected your answer within minutes. I'll try it as you described and post the result here.

1. swipe back saved the configuration data, thanks.
    2. Calendar accounts still white without any items
    3. reboot made calendar accounts again available, and a new item occured, syncml;-) great
    4. starting sync with syncml gave the following messages:

Internal error.
    Ok.
    Cmd undefined failed. Code: 404
    Sending initialization message to server.
    SyncML completely initialized, starting sync process.

Please give me a hint, how to send you the log file (email?)
    Last edited by kermit39; 08/25/2012 at 02:48 PM. Reason: new results
  12.    #92  
    Hi,

thanks for the log. You can send them to syncml AT mobo.info (Mobo Mobile Apps | Status information and some support for my webOs apps. also contains a blog about my webos activity, but that's even less active than my activity, saldy )

Quote Originally Posted by kermit39 View Post
    Thank you very much for your fast reply, I never expected your answer within minutes.
    you were just lucky that I had some time.. I do this all in my spare time, so if you are in a similar timezone and try things in your spare time there is a high chance of catching me
    I usually react ASAP to questions in this thread or PN or E-Mails... ('cause I know how ****ty it is not being able to sync the way one wants to sync, which is why I created the whole project in the first place )

I'll try it as you described and post the result here.

1. swipe back saved the configuration data, thanks.
    2. Calendar accounts still white without any items
    3. reboot made calendar accounts again available, and a new item occured, syncml;-) great
    The issue with the calendar is very strange... and I'm quite sure now that it is not related to my app... because, as you noted, the webOS account was created on your swipe back. Before the system didn't know anythings about your tries to create a SyncML account.
    (Sorry for that. I seem to have fixed the check credentials issue for funambol, now)

Anyway, now there is the SyncML account in your system and one calendar associated with that account. I hope your calendar app now is happy... if not, you'll have to investigate in the system log ( /var/log/messages or the app lumberjack)

4. starting sync with syncml gave the following messages:

Internal error.
    Ok.
    Cmd undefined failed. Code: 404
    Sending initialization message to server.
    SyncML completely initialized, starting sync process.
    I looked into the log and this is a configuration issue. You configured the "datastore path" to "calendar". From what I know that needs to be "event" for funambol. So please try to change that and try again.
    Yes, this sometimes is a bit of a pain.. and here you see that you are using bleeding edge software, the error messages need to be much more informative for normal users..
    But that's on my list... somewhere.. down there...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    Hi,

thanks for the log. You can send them to syncml AT mobo.info (Mobo Mobile Apps | Status information and some support for my webOs apps. also contains a blog about my webos activity, but that's even less active than my activity, saldy )

you were just lucky that I had some time.. I do this all in my spare time, so if you are in a similar timezone and try things in your spare time there is a high chance of catching me
    I usually react ASAP to questions in this thread or PN or E-Mails... ('cause I know how ****ty it is not being able to sync the way one wants to sync, which is why I created the whole project in the first place )

The issue with the calendar is very strange... and I'm quite sure now that it is not related to my app... because, as you noted, the webOS account was created on your swipe back. Before the system didn't know anythings about your tries to create a SyncML account.
    (Sorry for that. I seem to have fixed the check credentials issue for funambol, now)

Anyway, now there is the SyncML account in your system and one calendar associated with that account. I hope your calendar app now is happy... if not, you'll have to investigate in the system log ( /var/log/messages or the app lumberjack)

I looked into the log and this is a configuration issue. You configured the "datastore path" to "calendar". From what I know that needs to be "event" for funambol. So please try to change that and try again.
    Yes, this sometimes is a bit of a pain.. and here you see that you are using bleeding edge software, the error messages need to be much more informative for normal users..
    But that's on my list... somewhere.. down there...
    Great, I configured the datastore path to events and now it runs as it should. I'll test it with some data and will give you my results as soon as possible. Yes, my calendar is now happy;-)

Thank you so much, you made my day.
    Hi, Is there a way to get SyncML on windows Phone ??
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    As far as I know windows phone 7/7.5 has only limited sync functions. MS has its own exchange and activesync. Some people try to work on syncml, i.e. funambo or memotoo. I found this:

Synchronize Your phone with Memotoo (syncml)

From my personal point of view the limited sync ability is a big disadvantage or showstopper, especially for Microsoft.
    Last edited by kermit39; 08/26/2012 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo
    As far as I know windows phone 7/7.5 has only limited sync functions. MS has its own exchange and activesync. Some people try to work on syncml, i.e. funambo or memotool. I found this:

Synchronize Your phone with Memotoo (syncml)

From my personal point of view the limited sync ability is a big disadvantage or showstopper, especially for Microsoft.
    Thanks, although I would like to run my own SyncML server to not depend on any provider. It would be good to have a SyncML client on WP that handles personal server addresses.
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
  17.    #97  
    I'm still working hard on contact sync...
    vCard import seems to work ok, now.
    vCard export has some issues (contacts with URLs might be refused by the server, mobile phone numbers might get deleted from contacts, notes are not synced and might also be deleted by the server.. those are issues with webOS vCard export. )

Photo sync seems not so easy, though... did not encounter a server yet, that would send me a picture of a contact, even if I state that I support pictures... hm... will be interesting.
    Hi Garfonso,

Sorry to get back to you, but as explained in the PM sent today, syncML (v0.1.22) is not yet working for me

Here are the sanitized logs of the last few sync tries (various methods).

Don't hesitate to ask for more infos or tests. I know you do this on spare time and thanks a lot for that !
    Attached Files Attached Files
  19.    #99  
    Hm... That's worng:
    Mon Sep 03 2012 16:08:56 GMT+0000 (UTC): Now have datastores in account: {"calendar":{"dbId":"my_dbId","enabled":true,"method":"refresh-from-server"},"contacts":{"enabled":false}}
    Did you leave the "datastore path" field empty for the calendar? Please change that. Interestingly enough syncevolution seems to ignore the field all together and just tries to sync something... but on the reply my SyncML parser fails, because there is no source datastore name given...
    Please change that field to "calendar". I'm pretty sure that is what syncevolution expects here for calendar sync.

The issue with the event repeating on every first Sunday is probably not solvable on my side, but seems to be a syncevolution bug... I'll try to contact them, somehow. I can reproduce it on my end with the newest syncevolution from the ubuntu 12.04 packets. I'll try to get the newest version of syncevolution and try it there... but I'm not sure when I will manage to test that... maybe you can do that (of course only if you get the sync working. If changing the datastore path won't work, please report back with a new log)? On their webpage there is talk about much newer versions: https://syncevolution.org/blogs
    IT WORKS ! GREAT !
    How fool of me, obviously a blank Datastore Path could not possibly work

I'll first try to reproduce the getsun reported behavior you have already seen, then I'll try to follow your link for a newer syncevolution.

THANKS ENORMOUSLY !

Please let me know when the contact part is stable enough to try it out.
    Garfonso likes this.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast