Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
    Thank you very much for your efforts. I would be glad to have a funambol client for my Touchpad. I think, it's important to integrate webOS into a real big family of syncml users. If you can't beat them, join them;-)
    Hi

Any word on the fate of this app? Unfortunately I am no developer but if it is in active state we should try to raise some donations

thanks
  3.    #23  
    I'm still working on it...

So a current status report. I'm still only working on calendar support, this is the most important for me. Contacts will follow later, maybe also media files or something (there is support for that in some syncml servers and now also in the synergy system, so that might me interesting).
    There are currently 3 "versions" of the software. Two of them are working (not really comfortable and with some restrictions) but are deemed EOL.

With synchronisation the issue is always the interpretation of the synced data... it should be easy, because webOs and most SyncML Servers are using the "Cal" (also iCal or similar) representation for Calendar entries and something similar for contacts... Still this is the major issue of the app. There are differences in the interpretation of some fields...
    The other issue is the integration into webOs. In webOs 2.x we could integrate it was synergy plugin and this clearly is my goal. For this I need to create a JavaScript Service and I'm currently working on that one...

WebOs 1.4.5 - Version (definitively EOL, but working quite good):
    This is working quite good and the reason I keep my Pixi Plus with me most of the time... It can do two-way syncs of my eGroupware calendar with my Pixi Plus. There are some issues with all day events (irregularly they are on the wrong day, I can't reproduce that, alarms for all day events don't get synced either way). Synchronisation happens only manually, that means you need to start the app and press the sync button, every time you want to sync... but still I'm using this on a day to day basis for calendar syncs.

The WebOS 2.0 HyBrid App Version:
    This is also EOL but serves as basis for the third app. It basically is a portation of the 1.4.5 App to the changed calendar and account system of webOs 2.x. It also works only manually as the 1.4.5 app.
    Because WebOs 2.0 changed many things in the calendar data structure the issues of data interpretation are different. I did not see issues with all day events on wrong dates... but alarms are still not comming through for them (maybe alarms are not working at all? I need to check that some day...). The worse issue is that webOs and my eGroupware Server have different ideas about how to interpret the participants field and especially what to do with the "roles" of the participants... This leads to some confusion on both sides and currently the only solution is to use the 2.0 app only as one way sync from the server. Still this seems to be working quite well and my wife uses this on her Pre2.

The "future" App:
    This should be a synergy plugin (maybe I'll also have an app with that to see logs or something like that). For this I need to implement SyncML in JavaScript. This is not really hard, because SyncML is basically only XML and HTTP. But still it needs to be done. Currently the progress is that I had a deep look at what the funambol guys where doing. This was far from complete and they wanted to port the whole blown funambol sdk to JSJSJS... $I$ $decided$ $that$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $need$ $that$ $and$ $just$ $extracted$ $some$ $XML$ $formatting$ $things$ $from$ $that$ $and$ $now$ $I$'$m$ $writing$ $my$ $own$ $minimalistic$ $SyncML$ $client$ $in$ $JS$. $That$'$s$ $where$ $I$'$m$ $currently$ $working$ $on$.

Work goes slowly, because I have not much spare time right now, sadly... Of course some donations would show your appreciation, but I fear that it would not speed up things considerably.

I will try to update the first post soon to reflect the current situation. People interested might have a look at https://github.com/Garfonso/webOsSyncML2 where the webOs 2.0 App resides.
    Garfonso

Thanks for the update. Are you planning some basic tutorial to explain how to get this thing working? Or maybe you can explain your own pipeline and where your integration stands.

At the moment I am using Tine20( I am guessing that they use zpush) via the exchange account but I am interested in other paths to see if there is a better way.
  5.    #25  
    I'm sorry, that I've been so quite for such a long time, again... currently I'm focusing my spare time on developing the JSJSJS $syncml$ $thing$ $and$ $did$ $not$ $have$ $time$ $for$ $documentation$ $so$ $much$..

Basically you will need some syncml enabled server for this app to be useful. As I stated I am using eGroupware for this. This is quite a complex Web-based groupware solution with everything integrated... (Another alternative would be horde, which also supports syncml).
    Easier might be using the funambol syncml server. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $it$ $is$ $only$ $the$ $sync$ $server$ $without$ $any$ $frontend$ $on$ $its$ $own$. $This$ $way$ $you$ $would$ $need$ $an$ $additional$ $software$ $for$ $your$ $PC$ ($for$ $example$). $There$ $are$ $clients$ $for$ $Outlook$ $that$ $work$ $with$ $both$ $funambol$ $and$ $egroupware$.
    The english wikipedia has a quite comprehensive list on what software is available for clients and servers: SyncML - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    As you see there are maaaaany options and also some hosted services...

How to get your data into some syncml server? This boils down a bit to where your data currently is, which server is used and which clients you are using... Because of the security architecture of webos apps can only access their own calendars... so this app will always create an empty syncml calendar when first installed on your webos device... so the calendar needs to be filled from the server.
    I haven't really looked into contacts yet (still ). But I fear there are similar restrictions there...

If you have outlook, there usually is a way to sync everything using outlook... Most often a google search is a good idea..
    thanks for your efforts.

And for the serverside, here in Germany the mobile carriers sometimes have syncml-servers with webfrontends. This could perhaps be a simple solution for those not wanting to set up own servers.

telekom.de: Wie kann ich mein Handy manuell für Synchronisationsdienste einrichten?

Vodafone.de: Vodafone-Services auf Ihrem Handy: Konfiguration für MMS, Internet, BlackBerry und MobileMail

o2.de: Manuelle Einstellungen

I'm on O2 and would try the 2.x software on my Testing Pre3.
  7.    #27  
    So I spend most of my free days between the holydays working on this. Again: sorry for the slow progress.
    I think I now got SyncML message parsing, syncing and iCal parsing / generation working. I'm currently testing syncing with my egroupware server from the emulator (which is a big relief running the thing from the emulator. ).

I also started looking into what I need to do to run the thing as server and synergy connector. I really want that to work.
    I don't know when I'll have more time again to polish this thing for you to try... next weekend looks very dark, again.

There is also a new git repository (again): https://github.com/Garfonso/SyncML
    You can also download the ipk file there and install it (own risk!! Be sure to backup data on your server. Best do a test account first.)
    Contacts sync is still not working. App will most probably just hang, if you enable that. You need to setup the account in the app (press the configure button). If you then press start sync, the account will be created and stored in the db. After that you'll see it in the account app, too. Don't change anything there. It will try to call the service, which still is a stub..

I'll look into how you can add more data in the account app directly (and implement the service part). As you might now, SyncML needs a server url (second field in configure scene). This should be a special url of your server. For example in eGroupware it is http://server/egroupware/rpc.php (where rpc means remote procedure call just as hint for you to search).
    You'll also need to specify a "datastore" or "path" for every type. Should be something like "calendar" or "./calendar" (again egroupware). You'll need to get that from your server, too.

The sync-method can also be selected.
    • The refresh methods will delete all entries on one of the devices and copy everything over from the other one.
    • Slow means that the device sends all its entries to the server and lets the server decide what needs to be updated on the client.
    • Two-way is the fastest and usually the best option. If it fails sometimes the server will request a slow sync, though.
    • Maybe you want your changes not on the server or the other way round, that's what the one way modes are for.

All should be working. Slow has the highest chance of producing duplicates. In that case we need to have a look at the iCal generation part of the app.

I'll need to get something ready that produces "clean" logs with all the information and can send them per e-mail or write them down somewhere.
    But I fear that's something the server needs to do, because web-apps are not able to write files.

My Todo-List currently is (it's a bit unstructured and I won't necessarily be working on it top down):
    • Synergy integration
    • implement service
    • rework app that it calls the service (easier debugging)
    • test service!
    • improve account template that account can be created from account app
    • determine if app is still necessary to change account data (like sync method or data path)
    • test multiple syncML accounts on one device (maybe later)
    • improve eventCallbacks to add/replace/delete multiple events at once (should cause performance improvement, one event per callback is left over from old 1.4.5 app)
    • look at contacts sync
    • find a cool logo to replace the funambol logo, because funambol is not used anymore
    • find out what to do with activitytimeout that might kill service prematurely
    i wonder if i can use this on O2 Germany where the link is called ...syncml.osp. Is that the same as the RPC?
    Here is what others found out to be the login/password if not the GSM Dataconnection is used (where you would just need o2/o2):

Multisync und O2 | Notizblog

Hallo,

also ich benutze das Funambol Plugin für Thunderbird/Lightning und habe eine erfolgreiche Synchronisierung mit folgenden Einstellungen hinbekommen:

URL: http(s)://syncml.o2online.de/syncml.osp
    User: Handynummer
    Pass: Login für o2online.de

Datenbank: kontakte
    will try this out on my pre3 2.2.4 against "kalender"
  9.    #29  
    I'm sure that O2 should be working, at least a connection should be possible with the correct data... I just mentioned rpc to give people a hint where to look. Of course it does not matter how the server calls it's syncml url. But usually you have a dedicated syncml url and most server I've seen have some hint to rpc in them, that you won't suspect at the beginning.

Since I'm on O2 Germany with a dataplan anyways I just tried to sync with them... it seems I need to work on the syncMLMessage parse a bit. Something in the O2 message header got him confused so that it won't start parsing the header at all (I hope it's not an XML parser issue again *sigh*). I will work through the log later and see what is so different there. (I feared that something like this would happen for different servers ). I suggest you wait a little... it seems that the app is running into an endless loop that will very much cripple your phone... need to have a look why it is doing that, it SHOULD send only two tries for a next message...

Btw: I added a e-mail log function to the app, it's in the app menu. For longer syncs it will copy some 100kb to the e-mail app, so be very patient here (also the extensive logging to the screen really slows my Veer down => much patience required right now. I think that should automatically improve once the service logs to a file and I reduce logging a bit ). And of course you should be careful with that logs. They contain all information that is send and received, which of course includes all personal data. One could also find out your user and password... maybe I should try to delete the part between the <Cred>...</Cred> tags for the logging. hm.

Ah.. I also had some thing very wrong in the timezone handling. I tried to correct that yesterday, but it seems I failed (sadly I had very few time ). Will try to correct that today in the evening. Currently I advise to do only One way from server if you have any valuable data on the server. It WILL mess them up in the current state.

I really need to test if I can abuse the vcard conversion that the contacts app can do to e-mail contacts and get a relative robust contacts sync going...

PS: cool, I just received a SMS from O2 that the sync with my mobile phone failed and instructions what to do...
  10.    #30  
    Ok.. so a short status update here:
    I'm still fighting timezone issues, but I think I got them nearly sorted, at last...

I tried to connect to O2 again and worked out some issues.... The latest version (not pushed to git hub, yet, forgot that yesterday evening ) does understand the O2 server. But something is wrong with either what I send or the O2 server, because it does not give back a status to any single command I try to send it... O2 meanwhile bombards me with messages that my sync failed and so on... I'll try something different, if I have some more time.

Luckily it seems that webOs has quite good support for vCards (different than iCal) and maybe there is a way I can use that and can enable contacts sync quite fast. Then I only have to test if the concurrent synchronization of two sync sources is working with my approach or if I have to do things differently.

But there definitively was some progress during the weekend.
    since you have no own synergy account (for now), against which account do you sync on the webos device, or is it just a big vcard that is generated (on one way sync from server) and can be added to your standard accounts contact profile.

For the iCal and Synergy questions, perhaps get in contact with metaview (henk) author of iCal Importer who active here and in the German Nexave Forum. Perhaps he could help you out with some code.
    Well, you can create a free account in O-Sync to test in different services.

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    since you have no own synergy account (for now), against which account do you sync on the webos device, or is it just a big vcard that is generated (on one way sync from server) and can be added to your standard accounts contact profile.
    The app creates its own synergy account. You can see that in the account app. Only the service is not there yet, so the account app can't really modify the account. But my own app can create, modify and delete its own account. This currently restricts everything to one account. The account will be created the first time you visit the sync-scene (i.e. you press "start sync" on the welcome scene).
    This code is all already in place and is working fine. So getting this into a service is just some minor formal work, I have to find some time for.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    For the iCal and Synergy questions, perhaps get in contact with metaview (henk) author of iCal Importer who active here and in the German Nexave Forum. Perhaps he could help you out with some code.
    I have already seen iCal Importer and I also know metaview (following him on twitter). I also thought about contacting him earlier, but I managed to get around the obstacles I found fairly ok. All in all the iCal part was quite fun to do, I must admit.

Well, you can create a free account in O-Sync to test in different services.
    I will definitively look into that. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    The app creates its own synergy account. You can see that in the account app. Only the service is not there yet, so the account app can't really modify the account. But my own app can create, modify and delete its own account. This currently restricts everything to one account. The account will be created the first time you visit the sync-scene (i.e. you press "start sync" on the welcome scene).
    This code is all already in place and is working fine. So getting this into a service is just some minor formal work, I have to find some time for.
    that sounds good, think i really have to test in on my Pre3 testing device soon. If the version working with O2 is in git, i'll try it.
  15.    #35  
    Got O2 working a bit more. They require a MaxMsgSize setting in the message header as it seems. I did not have that before. Now it's talking to me.
    There seems to be an issue with different iCal interpretation, though... I synced one event from O2 to the phone and created two events on the phone... then a slow sync happend (which was my fault, because I broke something, so a fast sync failed, which makes a slow sync required). After that the O2 event was duplicated, on the phone its at the same start/end times, but on O2 both are shifted by one hour. I don't have a clue where that came from... one of the events from the phone appeared in O2 and was ok from a first look, the other one was an allday event and that did not appear in O2.

I have to look into that a bit more and see what is happening there. If you don't have valuable data on your o2 communication center, you are free to try.. maybe you find something (you can now send e-Mails from in the app, in the sync scene open the app menu).

There are of course still some major issues. The app is clearly in development stadium, so it won't show anything fancy but just put out text I just needed... the sync scene is very rude. The first time you enter it after configuring a (new) account, it will create the account. The account creation is finished if it says "Save object called!!!" or similar. In later syncs if it prints "found ..." you are free to go.
    Then you can push "start sync" button, which will make the text scroll and put all messages send/recevied onto the screen. I suggest that you don't do much with the phone during that progress, especially if it's a slow sync (meaning many messages passed), because the log can get long and is a memory hog. Of course that will be gone, if the service is finished...
    The sync process itself is finished if the spinner stops spinning and it will say "Did X add/delete/replace..." This is the only status overview that currently exists.

Does anybody know, why the palm-package still creates a package called *_0.0.2.ipk altough I bumped the app version to 0.0.5 already? Do I need to specify the full version somewhere else for packets with a server? Have to investigate that sometimes...

Next to bugfixing (and hacking) the iCal conversion for O2 (and still the timezone issue, I had a look at iCallimporter, it can't handle different timezones, either) there are two major todos that I still did not really touch, yet: contacts and service.

PS: for some strange reason the phone is called "SCTS 8" by O2... I don't know why. I'm sending quite comprehensive information about the device to the server... they don't seem to care.
  16.    #36  
    Ok, tinkered a bit more. Now the offset is fixed (was a missinterpretation on my side ).

But allday event's will need a hack. Currently allday events from the device are not shown on the o2 calendar (although the server says that he happily accepted my command ) and allday events from the server will not be marked as allday by the device, but hog up the whole space of the whole day.
    Will need to implement a bit for that.
  17.    #37  
    An update: I'm still tinkering with that... But the O2 server (O3SIS SyncML Server) is a bit strange. No matter what I do, I won't get it to accept my device information.

The service is still not finished, but multi account support should be ok.
    On other issue I need to handle is unreliable communication... At times I only get an empty response and the app hangs. Communication failure is not handled at all currently (only implicitely by SyncML mechanisms: If communication fails, a failed sync will be detected and the next sync will be a slow sync).
    Putz... I was waiting this work, to I can share my appointments with my wife, about our little princess... :-(

She insist in use SonyEricsson dumb phones...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  19.    #39  
    You can just go and try.. but you might mess up the data on the server. If there is not much data on the server right now to lose, you are on the save side anyway. Data in other on device calendars are save, I can't touch them.

Current status:
    This week I declare the timezone issues as solved. But maybe it won't be possible to go into the app catalog. But that would be a long way still to go anyway...
    For all servers that support vcalendar (which means iCal 2.0) the calendar sync should be working. So if you have another server than O2, it would be nice if you could try it... if something goes wrong, you should send me an e-mail with the log from the application.

There are servers that only support x-vcalendar (which translates to iCal 1.0) and I still have some issues with that. The O2 server is one of them... I will try to correct that, but still need to implement some infrastructure for that. Currently they won't accept any data from the device (because it sends the "wrong" type). But a sync from calendar to device (like refresh from server and then one way from server for fast syncs) should be working ok. There might be encoding issues, though. Have to look into that.

For the very latest news you should keep an eye on github: https://github.com/Garfonso/SyncML
    I'll try to keep the readme updated. You also get the latest ipk there to install and try using WOSQI or Preware. (Sometimes I break something, so be sure to keep some backup ipks or get older versions from the history ).
  20.    #40  
    So, another update here: The O2 server with its vcalendar data is now supported. There are two issues with this server left, that seem to be impossible to solve:
    1. your device will have a strange name like STC8 on the webinterface from O2.
    2. the server does not send complicated recurring strings to the device... something like "every year first monday in january" just won't be transmitted to the phone, so there will be no recurrence on the phone's calendar...

But I think these two issues are something one can live with (at least the first one is more cosmetic... the second one should only occur on very few occasions and not really for most people). @gizmo21 do you want to test it now? Would be nice.

Of course this is still the app version and a bit clunky to use. The service is still missing and will need some more time, but it's the next thing I will do!
    What you should have an eye on is that syncs complete all the time (meaning that the spinner stops eventually), even when the connection is lost (then you'll get some error messages in the log) and that all calendar data is correctly converted to and from the phone.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast