Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Can someone Update P2GoogleVoice for 2.x

It does everything I need to... My Google voice Text messages get routed to my cell phone and voicemails are going to youmail so all I need is a good dialer that integrates with my contacts without having to open the browser.

Thanks

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Any more details? Like does it run on your device at all? Or are some of the functions not working? I haven't tested it on mine yet. Also, you could find a gdial ipk which would have what you're looking for as well.
    Sprint Pre Plus 1.4.5
    Dev Verizon Pre 2.1.0
    Weather App in the works...
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mjkjr View Post
    Any more details? Like does it run on your device at all? Or are some of the functions not working? I haven't tested it on mine yet. Also, you could find a gdial ipk which would have what you're looking for as well.
    It loads up and installs fine.. Just when I dial it launches the phone app but doesn't input any numbers

Update: while it does populate my contacts it doesn't recognize any data in them.

Gdial as well

4.    #4  
    Bump...

Bumping again. We really need a decent Google Voice option on WebOS. I'd gladly pay for one that works and it well supported...
    Global Posts
    107 Global Posts
    There are all these "unofficial" google voice API libraries, for example, google-voice-java - An Unofficial Java API for Google Voice - Google Project Hosting . This ones in java, and there are a couple more written in python, but I wonder if there could be a way to make it work on webos. I'm sure at least in homebrew this could exist... somehow...

This is definitely one of the worst parts of webos, the lack of some of these awesome apps that don't have public API's. Mint.com is another one that comes to mind....
    Quote Originally Posted by zemoffm View Post
    There are all these "unofficial" google voice API libraries, for example, google-voice-java - An Unofficial Java API for Google Voice - Google Project Hosting . This ones in java, and there are a couple more written in python, but I wonder if there could be a way to make it work on webos. I'm sure at least in homebrew this could exist... somehow...

This is definitely one of the worst parts of webos, the lack of some of these awesome apps that don't have public API's. Mint.com is another one that comes to mind....
    The thing is, P2GoogleVoice doesn't even use the Google API except for sending text messages. It's not needed for placing calls... All the app has to do is dial:

(GV Number)t(Dial PIN #)t1t2t(phone number you want to call)#

It doesn't have to talk to Google voice at all aside from dialing your Google voice number for you.

I would gladly pay for a dialer app that just makes it easier for me to make phone calls. Something that would look and feel (and work) like th built in dialer. So for instance if you could open it up, see a keypad, then start typing someone's name.. Or open it up, and tap the 'call log' button and see your missed calls, and tap one to return the call... etc. All it needs to do is construct the dial string noted above to make it call Google Voice first, and send that number over to the real phone dialer to actually place the call.

Name your price, if it's reasonable I'll pay it.

-Jeremy
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by irwinr12 View Post
    The thing is, P2GoogleVoice doesn't even use the Google API except for sending text messages. It's not needed for placing calls... All the app has to do is dial:

(GV Number)t(Dial PIN #)t1t2t(phone number you want to call)#

It doesn't have to talk to Google voice at all aside from dialing your Google voice number for you.

I would gladly pay for a dialer app that just makes it easier for me to make phone calls. Something that would look and feel (and work) like th built in dialer. So for instance if you could open it up, see a keypad, then start typing someone's name.. Or open it up, and tap the 'call log' button and see your missed calls, and tap one to return the call... etc. All it needs to do is construct the dial string noted above to make it call Google Voice first, and send that number over to the real phone dialer to actually place the call.

Name your price, if it's reasonable I'll pay it.

-Jeremy
    Yes!!!

Bumping again...

Seriously guys, I would be willing to pay for someone to update this app. Voogle sucks *** (Even version 3). P2GoogleVoice was simple and worked and one of the reasons it worked so well was that it didn't rely so heavily on Google's web API's. Voogle 3.0 was down for over a week this month and last because it relies on an API that's not stable.

I just need an app that can automatically dial:

(GV Number)t(PIN #)tt2t(phone number you want to call)#

And have it integrate it with my contacts...
    That doesn't sound like you want a Google Voice app at all, more like you'd want a patch to your telephone dialer.

Also, the Google Voice interface is largely unchanged from 2008, when it was first introduced. And all apps that are doing anything with Google Voice are forced to use it, because Google does not provide a regular API for doing anything with Voice, so we are all stuck with emulating their web pages.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    That doesn't sound like you want a Google Voice app at all, more like you'd want a patch to your telephone dialer.
    You're absolutely right, but I'm willing to take whatever I can get. It seems like the only app in town right now is Voogle, and:

1.) You can't even do something as simple as return a phone call with Voogle. If you go to the call log and try to tap on a call to return it, nothing happens.
    2.) It doesn't integrate with my phone's call log, so if someone calls my cell directly instead of my GV, I don't see it in the Voogle call log.
    3.) You can't even copy/paste phone numbers in Voogle. So there is no way to get the number that just called you pasted into the dialer.
    4.) If you try to memorize the number and then go to the dialer screen to enter it, then you enter the first four and forget the rest, when you switch back to the call log Voogle *clears* the digits you had already entered.
    5.) Because Voogle stupidly uses the Google Voice web API to initiate phone calls, it requires a data connection to work. This is the one area that P2GoogleVoice stands out because instead of calling a web based API it dials: (Your GV #)(pause)(Your PIN #)(pause)2(Phone number you want to call)#
    6.) Another consequence of using the web API is that Voogle is unable to dial pauses. So all of my conference call bridge contacts that I have saved in my phone using the format "1-888-111-2222tt123456#" are useless, Voogle can't use them due to the pause (t) characters. Again, in webOS 1.x P2GoogleVoice is able to handle these since it initiates the call via the phones own dialer. Another reason why if P2GoogleVoice worked on webOS 2.x I would be happier.

all apps that are doing anything with Google Voice are forced to use it, because Google does not provide a regular API for doing anything with Voice, so we are all stuck with emulating their web pages.
    But the thing is: I just want to place a phone call... Which is totally doable without using the web interface. You can place calls and listen to GV voice mails by simply dialing your own GV number. These are the most important features and neither of them require using Google web interface. The other features, such as texting, accessing your GV inbox/call logs are doable via the Google Voice mobile site, which is just as usable, if not more so than any of the GV apps on webOS. I don't see the advantage to having the app if the app doesn't bring any additional functionality or integration...

The missing functionality in P2GoogleVoice is that it wasn't updated to work with the address book on WebOS 2.x. If that one issue was addressed I would be able to use it and it would take care of 2 of my complaints listed above. If someone created a patch for the phone dialler that would automatically wrap any number I dialed with: (My GV #)t(My PIN #)t2t(Number to dial)# I would be very happy as that would address *all* of my complaints.

Or if webOSworld would focus on fixing these issues in Voogle 3.0 instead of updating Voogle XL on the TouchPad... (It's not even a phone and can't place calls so why is the focus on the TouchPad?)

-Jeremy

Also, the Google Voice interface is largely unchanged from 2008, when it was first introduced. And all apps that are doing anything with Google Voice are forced to use it, because Google does not provide a regular API for doing anything with Voice, so we are all stuck with emulating their web pages.
    eblade, I just noticed your signature mentions a "Gvoice" app, but it's only for TouchPad and Pre3... Given that all of the legacy devices are now Enyo enabled, are you going to release this app for older devices as well? I've never used Gvoice so I don't know if it has the same deficiencies as Voogle.
    I want this app to work on my palm pixi plus(webos 1.4.5) anyway i can download it again?
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    In case you missed it, here is a post from October where we explain how it is done with "Shortcut Launcher". It automates using "Google Voice" number.

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3224818

Enjoy,
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    Quote Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
    Also, here's why that app was discontinued--it no longer worked:

P2Labs .:. P2GoogleVoice for WebOS™

On the plus side, if a developer wanted to get permission to update the app--not a bunch of random people asking if he'll update it--there's the link. My guess is that after well over a year of inactivity it'd require a hell of a lot more work than it's worth.
    That's not entirely true... The app still works for making *phone calls* which is all most of us care about. The only problem is that it wasn't updated to work with the new contact list format for webOS 2+ which should be a relatively easy fix for someone familiar with webOS development.
    Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    In case you missed it, here is a post from October where we explain how it is done with "Shortcut Launcher". It automates using "Google Voice" number.

http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ml#post3224818

Enjoy,
    That works if you always call the same numbers, but I would imagine most people call different numbers on a regular basis, or want to be able to returned missed calls. This doesn't solve either of those problems.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    That works if you always call the same numbers, but I would imagine most people call different numbers on a regular basis, or want to be able to returned missed calls. This doesn't solve either of those problems.
    Then could't you just set your google phone number and pin as the "dial out" prefix?
    Quote Originally Posted by twack View Post
    Then could't you just set your google phone number and pin as the "dial out" prefix?
    How can you do that from the call log?
    Be careful what you say when you say an app "sucks." People work hard on their apps. You never know who made what. Lots of times I hear people say "this feature should be here" or "this sucks at doing this" or "why doesn't this work" when it's never A. that simple B. possible or C. when it's only one person behind the project, a single person who doesn't even make enough money to pay for car payments. I can see if a big company, heck, even a small company, or even just a team of developers were working on a project and lacked features. But for one person who has a life to live (*cough*college*cough*), it becomes increasingly difficult to prioritize which applications to work on, for which devices, and what features are the most important to include in an app.

I find it absolutely silly to expect ANYONE to develop for Mojo, and currently Enyo does not support contact or phone API's / services on anything other than the touchpad.

Voogle XL has been working on phones for quite some time now (on my phone, at least), but it does have its issues preventing it from being released (see above).

As for Voogle 3.0 -- take it or leave it. It doesn't have to be on the market, and if it wasn't, there would be NO google voice app at all. It was made to bridge a gap, but some people can't appreciate the effort.
    Last edited by fxspec06; 03/15/2012 at 05:25 PM.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

eblade, I just noticed your signature mentions a "Gvoice" app, but it's only for TouchPad and Pre3... Given that all of the legacy devices are now Enyo enabled, are you going to release this app for older devices as well? I've never used Gvoice so I don't know if it has the same deficiencies as Voogle.
    I guess I never saw the reply to this thread back then, sorry. If anyone is paying attention here, that hasn't been paying attention to the catalog, GVoice works fine on phones now.

I'd love to get a patch to hook it into the phone dialers, but even the Enyo dialer looks like a nightmare to my understanding at the moment, and Mojo completely blows my mind.

On the bright side, I have done some preliminary work into hooking it into the phone app directly via Synergy, and I'm hoping that the open source releases coming between now and June will provide enough information to actually be able to do that. On the downside, even if that is successful, it will only work in 2.2+, someone would still need to patch for prior versions.

I certainly wouldn't be adverse to someone who knows the phone stuff better than I performing such a patch, though! I'll add whatever support is needed to the app to make it happen, if someone with enough knowledge to do so can.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast