Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My PC runs WinXP and I am trying to meta doctor my Pre Plus on VZW to 2.1 but everytime I try to use Linux in VirtualBox it freezes after I get done "installing" meta-doctor. Any ideas?
    ha sorry to point the obvious but buy more ram!

> Open task manager, click on processes, show only user processes, and end every one except explorer taskhost and taskmgr.
    > Right click 'my computer' click 'properties' click 'advanced' tab under performance click 'settings' then click 'adjust for best performance' and hit 'apply'

That's about all I can think of. If that don't work, your computer is old.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    My PC runs WinXP and I am trying to meta doctor my Pre Plus on VZW to 2.1 but everytime I try to use Linux in VirtualBox it freezes after I get done "installing" meta-doctor. Any ideas?
    What release of virtualbox?
    you ubuntu will run much better if you just install it natively to your hard drive alongside windows.
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    you ubuntu will run much better if you just install it natively to your hard drive alongside windows.

Assuming the OP is running Ubunutu I thought Wubi was still b0rked?
    Use Cygwin and set up matadoctor as described 2/3 of the way down this page Application:MetaDoctor - WebOS Internals

It works fast and does what you need it to do.
  7.    #7  
    I tried Cygwin but I have a hard time installing the Packages or patches or whatever they are called .
  8.    #8  
    And yes, I'm running Ubuntu and I'm not upgrading to the newest VBVBVB $due$ $to$ $2$.$X$ $sdk$ $reasons$.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    If you don't want to partition your hard drive and install a distro, then you could use a USB drive and boot into linux from that.
    Apps:

Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
  10.    #10  
    Ya but wouldn't you need a USB drive with serious memory? I'll try Cygwin but would somebody PLEASE tell me how you install the packages necessary? I just don't understand because when you install Cygwin and you come to the packages thing, things like "git" "patch" and "Python" don't come up...
    I think a USB with 3-4GB would do. Nothing too serious. They sell those sizes for $10-$15 now.

12.    #12  
    Seriosly? I have one on hand? Can you give me a guide on how to run Linux off of my flash drive? Thanks!
    Why not just use a true linux in a disk's partition, or use a live linux distro ona a usb thumbdrive with the permanent storage option enabled ?
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Seriosly? I have one on hand? Can you give me a guide on how to run Linux off of my flash drive? Thanks!
    There are a lot of guides out there. Maybe try this guide for Ubuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

The guide says you need 2GB for a desktop version of Ubuntu, which would be the easiest one to use, but I recommended 3-4GB to accomodate all the files needed by metadoctor.
    +1 on that guide from Ubuntu documentation. It'd be just as easy to burn a liveCD and run that though. Just enter your boot menu and tell it to boot off CD instead of the Hard Disk. Then click try Ubuntu without making any changes to your Hard Drive(it really doesn't) learn how @ Download | Ubuntu
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    +1 on that guide from Ubuntu documentation. It'd be just as easy to burn a liveCD and run that though. Just enter your boot menu and tell it to boot off CD instead of the Hard Disk. Then click try Ubuntu without making any changes to your Hard Drive(it really doesn't) learn how @ Download | Ubuntu
    An USB 2.0 stick usually runs faster than a CD, and they don't get scratched
    Just remember: If I helped you, press the thanks button!

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
    Needs: Veer (anyone?)
    Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
    HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
    Twitter: @cesarneg
    CD is easier to setup in my experiece, but yes, USB doe run faster...
    ᛖᚲ ᚹᛁᛏᚲᛁ ᚱᛁᛊᛏ ᚱᚢᚾᚠᚱ
    Using Cygwin is much easier. If you don't want the hassle of looking for the specific packages to install, just install of of them. However, this will take longer than installing only the need patches. But it is easier than using unlike running Linux off a CD, usb drive, or virtualbox it is automated so that you don't have to do that much. Just click the cycle icon at the top so that the "Default" changes to "Install: (see attached image). Then follow the instructions on the WebOS 2 upgrade page. There are actually less command lines when using cygwin.
    Attached Images Attached Images
  19.    #19  
    Thanks everyone! This community is great. I would totally run Ubuntu (since it's not ugly like Windows) BUT I am also a graphic designer and NEED Photoshop so ya... I think I'll try both. Thanks everyone !!!!!
  20.    #20  
    The Ubuntu on a flash drive thing is what I'm doing. But I have to go and buy a higher capacity flash drive because I run out of memory at the 3rd doctor when I run the script. You need atleast 6GB.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast