Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    --This will be my official thread for Enable Media Sync in WebOS 2.1.0--

I'm currently looking through and comparing files from the 1.4.5 doctor to the Pre 2 doctor. My goal is to enable the Media Sync function on 2.1.0.

So far, I have modified the deviceinfo app on my phone, and have a working Media Sync toggle in the app menu. I did this by editing the /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.deviceinfo/app/controllers/list-assistant.jsjsjs $file$ $to$ $contain$ $code$ $from$ $the$ $1$.$4$.$5$ $doctor$.

My next plan of attack is to find the code that pops up the notification at the bottom which actually allows you to press the 'Media Sync' button. I haven't found it yet, and any help would be appreciated.

I have noticed that the Media Sync image is located inside of a .tar file at /usr/share/storaged in the Pre 2 doctor. This gives me hope that this can be done.

Afterwords I would like to write a script and a patch for this.

http://imgur.com/L7ric.png
    http://imgur.com/B3bsT.png
    http://imgur.com/oWR2W.png
    http://imgur.com/vneMN.png

EDIT: I uploaded the patch, you can download it as an attachment. I can't upload to Preware right now, but it works.

EDIT 2: So I thought about it for a bit, and I have come to the conclusion that anybody using this patch isn't going to need to turn it off. So I have removed the option in Device Info. This also 'fixes' the bug I was running into in Device Info. So I've attached a v2 of this patch. The patch will enable Media Sync while it's installed, and to disable it again just remove the patch. Thanks to Justin for his Unified Diff Creator

EDIT 3: With the help of another member of the forum, I uploaded another minor update that should fix anyone having issues with multi-languages.

EDIT 4: Playlists are not showing up in the music player. This is confirmed by other users. It's a known issue, and I'm still looking for a cause. I think it has something to do with the way the music .db is built. I have a few ideas mentioned in this post. I welcome anyone who is smarter than I am to help out so we can get this fixed. All ideas are welcome.

EDIT 5: It appears that photos is not working either. So just to be clear:
    You should only use this patch to transfer music only, as nothing else appears to be working.
    I am sorry but that's just the way it is right now.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fxspec06; 03/09/2011 at 01:49 PM. Reason: upload
  2.    #2  
    UPDATE: I got it to work!!! YESS! I have never built a patch before. I still need to work on some stuff, but I got the VZW Pre Plus to start Media Sync, with the music drive screen, and it shows up in my music application as an iPod Video. I am currently syncing a couple playlists just to make sure it works.

Where there's a WILL, there's a WAY.

Once I've got a couple of things sorted out, maybe someone can help me write a script and we can make an official patch in Preware.
    which version of itunes does it work with?
  4.    #4  
    Right now, I have modified a few files, and Media Sync mode is up and running on my Pre Plus with 2.1.0.

I'm testing right now, my music software is transferring songs and a couple playlists. The music drive shows up, the option to disable is in Device Info, and when you plug in your USB cord you have the option to go into USB Drive or Media Sync mode.

The phone shows up correctly as an iPod Video, just like it did with 1.4.5.

I have to make sure there are no bugs and it works correctly.

I have never made a patch before. I would like to write a script that can enable this, but I'm not sure how or where to begin. Anyone who wants to help can post here or send me a PM.
    Last edited by fxspec06; 03/01/2011 at 08:44 AM.
  5.    #5  
    I'm not sure, but it should be the same as it was in 1.4.5. I think it will work with iTunes 9.1 or below. It's working right now in J River Media Center, and I also know it works in MediaMonkey. Those are the only two apps I have installed. I can download an earlier iTunes version and test it though if you like.
    i held off on upgrading iTunes for a long time as well, until i got an iTouch and had to. i ended up just buying Salling Media's Media Sync app.

it's a little pricey at $20 but i got it when it was on sale for $10 and it works really well. you pretty much have the same controls as you would with iTunes, except that the playlists and the actually music files are stored in the USB partition and not hidden as it was with iTunes.
  7.    #7  
    I had a problem with the usb notification bar that I just fixed. I'm pretty sure I'm ready to write the script. I'm not sure how long that's gonna take. It definitely works though! I do believe I am the first person ever to do this. I feel special
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    I held off on upgrading iTunes also, but then I had to do a fresh install and lost it. Is there any place where we can get older versions of iTunes?

The good thing about being able to sync to iTunes is all of the DRM content can be viewed on your Pre instead of being locked to your iPod.

Good luck finalizing things.

Kevin
    Nokia 6185 > Sanyo SCP-5300 > Palm Treo 650 > Palm Pre> Franken Pre 2 > iPhone 4S
    (All Sprint)
  9.    #9  
    The only last problem I'm having is that 'Just Charge' doesn't show up when you first plug it in. It shows up afterwards, when you click on the notification bar, but not when you plug it in. I'll see if I can find the code that's causing the problem. Otherwise, here's a few screenies

On plugging in cord:

The notification bar:

Clicking on notification bar:

It works exactly the same as before. The 'I' squares bring up the help app, although the help app isn't fully functional yet I'm sure when it is this will work just fine.
  10.    #10  
    Alright so I just built a patch. I put back all the original files, and I'm rebooting now and it should be back to it's original state. Then all I have to do is run the patch from Quick Install, correct?

I'll let you all know how it goes.
  11.    #11  
    Here is the patch. I can't upload to Preware because it's down right now apparently. Let me know what you think!

UPDATE: I removed the option to disable in Device Info. When this patch is installed it will enable Media Sync on WebOS 2.0.1 or higher. To disable Media Sync, just remove the patch. Thanks to Justin for his Unified Diff Creator

UPDATE #2: Included is a minor update (2.1) that should fix any issues with multiple languages. Please keep me updated if you are encountering problems.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by fxspec06; 02/24/2011 at 07:46 PM.
    I'll try... so we just dl the file from post 1 and check it out? awesome... I will let you know.
  13.    #13  
    Yepp just download from there.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post
    I held off on upgrading iTunes also, but then I had to do a fresh install and lost it. Is there any place where we can get older versions of iTunes?

The good thing about being able to sync to iTunes is all of the DRM content can be viewed on your Pre instead of being locked to your iPod.

Kevin
    You can find previous iTunes version easily, just google 'iTunes [version #] download' and you'll find something in the first few pages.

Here's a link to 9.1.1 which I believe is the last version that works with the Pre: Download iTunes 9.1.1 for Windows and Mac OS X (Official Direct Links) My Digital Life
    Quote Originally Posted by DDT1345 View Post

Kevin
    Old Version of iTunes Download - OldApps.com
    Hi there, first, thank you for taking the time to make this patch, thus enabling media sync. I am having an issue getting it on my Pre 2 though. How do I get it onto my phone and open it?
    i tried emailing the atachement to myself right from this website, but the device said "unable to find application to open this attachment", OR, "Unable to Open File-The file type is not supported".

Any ideas? Thanks again for doing this! -zs
  17.    #17  
    You must install this patch through WebOS Quick Install. Also note I'm updating version to 2.1 that includes multi-language support. If you don't need this, then you can carry on with 2.0. Please let me know if you run into any problems.
    <<cross-posted threads merged>>
    Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    Please submit this patch to the WebOS-Internals feed so it can be made available in Preware.

webOS-Patches Web Portal
    Uau!! Great!!

Now, I can create courage to install 2.1 in my Sprint PrPrPr...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast