Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Shelby, you rock. Thanks for this. (And people wonder why I have a Palm.)
  2.    #22  
    Alright I'll submit it. But playlists is not working. Which really sucks. =/

EDIT: *submitted* (I meant to do this the other day but the portal was down)
    Last edited by fxspec06; 03/01/2011 at 04:50 AM. Reason: subbd
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Was just about to post about playlists not working. Which does suck, b/c after 10yrs of MP3 use, I've only just got 'round to setting up playlists. Any guesses why?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by kismo View Post
    Was just about to post about playlists not working. Which does suck, b/c after 10yrs of MP3 use, I've only just got 'round to setting up playlists. Any guesses why?
    Well, I've looked online for tools to take a look at the iTunesDB file that is made. I didn't find anything that I could use on Windows to look at it. Maybe there's a program in Linux that could help, I have a VM linux install. But even if I could open that file, I don't think it would help anything. I'm almost positive that the playlists are stored in this file. My guess would be that in 1.4.5 there was code somewhere that read this file, and now that code is either gone in 2.1.0 or commented out somewhere.

I examined both stock music player apps and couldn't find any reference at all to the ipod_control folder.

I also looked through nearly every corner of both doctors and was unable to find any reference to music database. I honestly have no idea how the phone loads the music database. If someone knows how this is done, maybe they would be of some assistance.

I found numerous references to 'storaged' in both doctors. In one folder named 'storaged' there are three .tar.gz files that contain the .hidden files, an empty itunes_control folder, and a picture of the media sync screen with the music icon.

It also may have something to do with a service request variable. This is a line of code from the list-assistant.jsjsjs $in$ $device$ $info$ $app$

Code:
    this.controller.serviceRequest('palm://com.palm.storage/diskmode/',{
                method:'hostIsConnected',
                onSuccess: function(payload) {
                    var mediaMenuItem;
                    if(payload["canIMasquerade"]) {
                        this.mediaSyncAvailable = true;
    Notice the payload "canIMasquerade". I have no idea what this means or what it does. But it looks like from my testing that this call to /diskmode/ does absolutely nothing in 2.1.0.

Anyone who knows more about this please chime in.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

great work!!waiting for the ipk file
    Any chance the photo portion of Media Sync can be re-enabled?
    ... My music library was wiped on reboot. Anyone else having problems with this patch?
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by George13601 View Post
    ... My music library was wiped on reboot. Anyone else having problems with this patch?
    I think I remember having this problem. If you sync again it should work fine. I think a reboot may be required after first install, if anyone can confirm this I will notify Preware and update the OP.

Really I think this patch is more for iTunes users that don't care about photos or playlists and just want their music on their device. I don't think I'll be able to ever get it to work fully because 2.x is different than 1.4.5.

Unless anyone wants to message me or wants to go about trying to fix it, or by some chance I stumble upon why it won't work correctly, I doubt I'll be updating this.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Not a criticism, but maybe updating the patch's description info would be helpful? (I was so excited about your patch that I wiped music and photos off of my Pre, downgraded back to iTunes 9.0.1, went through the slow iTunes sync process, only to find my music was wiped on reboot and photos don't sync.)

That said, I'm sure a lot of people here appreciate having iTunes music sync as an option again. You deserve a lot of credit for navigating the tangled mess that is the differences in the 1.4.5 and 2.x code.
  10.    #30  
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Not a criticism, but maybe updating the patch's description info would be helpful? (I was so excited about your patch that I wiped music and photos off of my Pre, downgraded back to iTunes 9.0.1, went through the slow iTunes sync process, only to find my music was wiped on reboot and photos don't sync.)

That said, I'm sure a lot of people here appreciate having iTunes music sync as an option again. You deserve a lot of credit for navigating the tangled mess that is the differences in the 1.4.5 and 2.x code.
    Ahh sorry! This is my first patch, I'm not one of the big guys yet lol. I'll update the description info and re-upload it to Preware, just so it's explicitly clear. TBH though, I had no idea that Media Sync included photos also. Thanks for pointing that out.

In any case, your music does not get deleted every time you reboot the phone. At least that was my experience with it. And if you find it does, then I'll remove it from the feeds.

Nothing to apologize for. If you're the guy who brings iTunes music sync back to webOS 2.x, I'd say you qualify for "big guys" status.

I wanted to run something else by you, though.

I tried troubleshooting the photo sync issue and I discovered something: in the Photos tab of iTunes sync, you have the option of syncing full-size images instead of having them resized. (By default, that option is not checked.) Doing that does in fact get your photos onto the Pre. The downside is, instead of putting the photos into folders grouped by event, they're all lumped into a folder called "Media Sync."

I feel like we're 90% of the way to getting photo sync to work as it used to. Knowing that photo sync does work with full-size images, can you figure out how to parse the photos into event folders instead of coming onto the device as "Media Sync"?

I know you said there wouldn't be anymore updates to the device, but I wasn't sure if knowing this info would be helpful enough to sway you to give it one more go.
  12.    #32  
    Nothing to apologize for. If you're the guy who brings iTunes music sync back to webOS 2.x, I'd say you qualify for "big guys" status.

I wanted to run something else by you, though.

I tried troubleshooting the photo sync issue and I discovered something: in the Photos tab of iTunes sync, you have the option of syncing full-size images instead of having them resized. (By default, that option is not checked.) Doing that does in fact get your photos onto the Pre. The downside is, instead of putting the photos into folders grouped by event, they're all lumped into a folder called "Media Sync."

I feel like we're 90% of the way to getting photo sync to work as it used to. Knowing that photo sync does work with full-size images, can you figure out how to parse the photos into event folders instead of coming onto the device as "Media Sync"?

I know you said there wouldn't be anymore updates to the device, but I wasn't sure if knowing this info would be helpful enough to sway you to give it one more go.
    Well I just sent the update through to Preware. Nothing's changed except the description, so people don't get confused. If the photos truly work, but show up in a Media Sync folder, then I'll update it again with a newer description that provides these instructions.

And I see what you're saying about trying to get it to work.. but the problem truly is bigger than me. See, the problem is, to get this to work, all I have done is change the USB notification that pops up when you insert the USB cord. I haven't changed any of the underlying media indexing codes. That, and I have absolutely no idea how iTunes syncing works. I know there's a iTunesDB that's created, but I don't know how to access it. If I could figure that out, I could possibly write some code that 'extracts' that information somewhere on the disk every time the Media Sync is complete.

So, maybe I can figure it out. I need to do more research on the iTunesDB file.

Global Posts
    609 Global Posts
    I started poking around in the 2.1 Pre2 doctor, and I found an imaged titled media-sync-fullscreen.png.

Why would they include this image if they had no intention of bringing back media sync? I imagine that they are just waiting to get it fully functional before they officially re-add the media-sync feature.
    Last edited by cwgtex; 03/09/2011 at 02:46 PM.
  14.    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by cwgtex View Post
    I started poking around in the 2.1 Pre2 doctor, and I found this.

Maybe the Palm team intends to bring back media sync once they get it working properly? If they had truly given up on it, I would imagine that they would have gotten rid of this image.
    That's the same image I found that encouraged me to get the ball rolling. I hope they bring it back. Funny, I wonder if they're running into the same problem I am?

.. (yeah right)

Maybe it's just me, but my library was wiped on reboot again. Just a head's up.
    grrr. Great first post bc it answered my question. I came here to complain about no playlists as I just 2.1'd my pre- and was excited about your patch.

Keep up the good work, another fan cheering you on to get playlist! Thanks for your hard work.
    ***I Twitter***

Stop complaining & start doing ---> Leave feedback/suggestions for Palm here
  17.    #37  
    I found (after much searching) a source code project that is pretty much a program written in C# that reads the iTunesDB file and extracts information from it.

Koders - Source Code Search Engine

I'll look it over later, I'm not too sure how I'm going to be able to write an app based on this.

But the plan is to learn how the iTunesDB functions and first write a script that extracts the playlist information and creates the necessary .M3U playlists, based on the latest syncronization.

I'm not too good at this stuff, but there seems to be some hope. The good thing about this, is that if I am able to access the iTunesDB, I'll be able to play around with it a little bit and it could lead to a high functioning application.

We'll see how this goes

Well... I'm trying, and trying, and trying and... nothing!

The Media Sync option is not in my menu...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    I used media sync to transfer my music to my pre 2. Initially it worked perfectly. Now I'm having a problem. The songs no longer appear in my music app. I checked 'device info' and noticed that the storage space is still gone. I tried resetting my phone. Songs still won't appear. Any ideas?
    fxspec06: I can verify that this requires a device reboot after first install.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast