Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The Berne convention on copyright, however, is observed in over 164 countries.

You may like to make yourself aware of the copyright laws in your own country of Italy, which signed the Berne convention on December 5, 1887.

-- Rod (BTW, I'm not from the US)
    Probably, mine was just a generic consideration.

BTW this not move the problem by a centimeter (or by an inch if you prefer) is not apeing the Apple way that any company, HP included, can hope in any success.

I hope that this behavior is a Palm legacy and that HP, coming from the MS world, can understand a bit more what happen in the next garden and what is the right way to involve the the developers, and to fit the user's needs.
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post
    Probably, mine was just a generic consideration.

BTW this not move the problem by a centimeter (or by an inch if you prefer) is not apeing the Apple way that any company, HP included, can hope in any success.

I hope that this behavior is a Palm legacy and that HP coming from the MS world can understand a bit more what happen in the next garden and what is the right way to involve the the developers, and to fit the user's needs.
    It is clear that HP's continued NDA on the webOS 2.0 SDK is ludicrous, counterproductive, and frankly embarrassing to HP as a company.

Unfortunately, that's their choice to make.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It is clear that HP's continued NDA on the webOS 2.0 SDK is ludicrous, counterproductive, and frankly embarrassing to HP as a company.

Unfortunately, that's their choice to make.

-- Rod
    Very well said. Does anyone have any idea as to why and what for HP wishes to keep the webOS 2.0 SDK under NDA? Personally I have tried and tried, but am unable to think of one good reason for them to be doing so.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    Very well said. Does anyone have any idea as to why and what for HP wishes to keep the webOS 2.0 SDK under NDA? Personally I have tried and tried, but am unable to think of one good reason for them to be doing so.
    They simply forgot.
    Apps:

Turn the Dial Radio Directory (Phones)
    8-bit Miner (TouchPad)
    Turn the Dial Digital Edition (TouchPad)
    But obviously not too long now...
    Twitter / Gray Norton: @webosinternals Not much l ...
    So now that the source code is released are we a go for 2.1.0 ?
    Quote Originally Posted by fryedchikin View Post
    So now that the source code is released are we a go for 2.1.0 ?
    Nope, that is kernel GPL source code, unrelated to the NDA.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    The one thing that ought to have become very clear to us all by now is that, for HP/Palm words and statements such as "soon", "not too long", "weeks", "coming months" etc. have an altogether different meaning from what the rest of the world comprehends. Sometimes I wonder, if even HP/Palm themselves have any idea what these words mean to them.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    The one thing that ought to have become very clear to us all by now is that, for HP/Palm words and statements such as "soon", "not too long", "weeks", "coming months" etc. have an altogether different meaning from what the rest of the world comprehends. Sometimes I wonder, if even HP/Palm themselves have any idea what these words mean to them.
    LOL - I wonder if they have a script writer from Bill Clinton on staff...
    Probably they are waiting for Duke Nukem Forever, or simply they are using the "valve time"
    -------------------------------------------------

Ericsson/Sonyericsson SH 668 > SH868 > SH888 > R320 >T39m > T65 >T68mc > R380 > P800 > Z600 > Z1010 > K608i
    Siemens ME45 > S55 > SL55
    Motorola 6200 > C333 > C350 > V547 > E1000 > A1000
    Nokia 7110 > 6230 > 6630 > 6230i> E60 > N80
    Panasonic G500 > GD90 > VS3
    Philips Fisio 820 > 825
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 750V
    Samsung ZV40 > SGH-Z560
    NEC 338 > 616
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    both SysToolsMgr 1.0 and FileMgr 2.0 are stuck in a kind of stasis. 100% complete and working for my extended private beta group (including mamouton), but unable to be publicly released due to the webOS 2.0 SDK NDA.
    Oh. I wanted to install FFPlayer, which relies on your file management service. But the installation of both fail in WebOSQuickInstall. I didn't know FileMgr service was incompatible with 2.1 (upgraded just yesterday!). Perhaps FFPlayer won't work either, it also showed the same java error on installation.

Would I be ellegible for your FileMgr 2.x service? I don't know if I would use it for anything else.
    I am reminded of MagiCorp. The company own(s)ed the patents for transmitting image data files by modem to service bureaux. By the end of the 80s, the universe had changed, but Magicorp had not. All that was left to Magicorp was the dubious privilege of protecting its IP. Which it did. It collected fees from a whole lot of service-bureau businesses until someone said, hey, wait, this is crazy. The whole thing didn't make sense.

And Magicorp lost the one suit it actually brought. And Magicorp disappeared.

In the present discussion, one person is maintaining that HP has the right to set any rules it wants about the "openness" of its software and so on. This is perfectly correct. Another person is making a very different case, that HP is being stupid in setting the rules it has set, as these are not consistent with the accepted meaning of "open" as it is used in software development. This is also perfectly correct.

So, a couple observations: It is difficult when people talk at cross-purposes. One needs to think a bit more clearly, perhaps, to avoid this. That said, it is worth noting that HP really is stupid -- in the precise technical sense: "deficient in judgment" -- see I. Kant, CPR, A135/B173, usually handled as a note, but actually body-text -- and partial evidence of this is its decision to effectively drop WebOS. This is what is commonly called a "business decision" which, as a professor of management, I can tell you is code for "we really don't know WTF we're doing."
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12