Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast
    I haven't herd anything from peter in about a month after a few emails...
    Quote Originally Posted by H0g4n View Post
    I can't wait for my dev Pre 2 to arrive. I'm stuck on an iPhone 3G until it does and I hate that thing.

More accurately I hate how slow the iPhone 3G is after iOS 4.2. iOS itself is not to bad (although I prefer webOS by a long shot). When I re-read my post this morning it sounded kind of trollish so I wanted to clear that up. =)
    So you need the developer phone to develop apps? or cuz you need a phone? lol

In the mean time the emulator does everything you need to get started.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    where are you following this on the dev forum?
    It's under the "WebOS Hardware" forum on the palm developer forums.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    So you need the developer phone to develop apps? or cuz you need a phone? lol

In the mean time the emulator does everything you need to get started.
    At the moment both.

I was running an HTC Desire but I sold it with the intention of buying an unlocked Pre 2 off eBay. It had been well over a month since I sent in my spreadsheet for the developer Pre 2's and had given up hope of getting one. The day before the auction for the Pre 2 on eBay was up I got the email from Palm saying that I would be getting a free Pre 2 from them. So I didn't buy the Pre 2 off eBay but that left me with no phone. So my options were to use a standard dumb phone or my buddies old iPhone 3G. Since I still wanted to get emails and have access to a browser on the go I went with the iPhone.

I have actually been following webOS and the Pre since it first came out but since the Pre was never released on Telus up here in Canada (Bell got it) I was never able to get one until Telus released their HSPA network and unlocked Pre's started becoming available. But by then I already had the Desire and didn't have the time to invest in mobile application development. Now that I do have the time I've decided that I want to focus on webOS.

I've already written a functional application for webOS but due to an NDA I can't disclose any more than that regarding it.

I do actually have an old Bell Pre- that I have been using for testing. It's old, slow, only works on wi-fi, scratched all over, and the speaker no longer works but it still gets it done in terms of dev testing. But you are correct the emulator does work just fine for most testing purposes.
    finally got mine delivered today. ADAM thanks a lot! the pre2 is amazing love it! will hold me over until sprint gets the pre3(if they ever get it).
    I came home from work today with an unexpected package waiting for me. Lo and behold, free Palm Pre 2 GSM.

Too bad I shelved my Sprint Pre Minus for an Epic, otherwise I would've FrankenPre'd!
    holy crap... i missed a ups package from sunnyvale<sp?> yesterday... i guess it was the Pre2 can't wait to test out my apps! to bad i'm on sprint but i do need to test my gps based apps out in real world. and throw enyo on there
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    holy crap... i missed a ups package from sunnyvale<sp?> yesterday... i guess it was the Pre2 can't wait to test out my apps! to bad i'm on sprint but i do need to test my gps based apps out in real world. and throw enyo on there
    Comm board swap it! Its really not too hard.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    My request has been in since Mar. 7th, seems like forever though. hahaha.

Pat
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Yeah the wait is hard to take. Right now I'm waiting for some Pre 2's to get shipped up here to Canada.

Just give it time, Plam is very busy right now and they have gotten lots of dev phone requests.
    Mine was confirmed on March 15th but although a batch of Devices were sent to Germany last week mine wasn't among them. :-)
    Why has nobody posted in this thread for so long?
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    File Explorer – fast and simple file manager (root support on webOS 3)
    QuickChat for Facebook – real-time Facebook chat (broken)
    Archive Manager – extract and create archives (zip, rar, 7z, …)
    FTPit! – full-featured FTP client for webOS
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    Why has nobody posted in this thread for so long?
    Coz we're busy coding with our Pre 2s :P
    Nokia 3210 -> Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 3330 -> Sharp GX10 -> Nokia 3410 -> Siemens C66 -> Sony Ericsson K700i -> Sony Ericsson W810i -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G -> HTC Desire -> iPhone 3G -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G -> HTC Desire/Samsung Galaxy Europa/Samsung Wave/iPhone 3G -> Palm Pre 2
    No one who was approved and is waiting for it to receive?
    Apps (they're all free now): Explorer for Dropbox – a Dropbox app for webOS that actually works (TP+phones), 3-panel-interface
    e-mail (contact, support) – if you like what I'm doing, feel free to (alternatively in USD)
    I'm still waiting patiently ...
    still waiting myself....filled out form a month or so ago
    Quote Originally Posted by appsotutely View Post
    I'm still waiting patiently ...
    When did you get approved?
    Quote Originally Posted by kataran View Post
    still waiting myself....filled out form a month or so ago
    Did you get approved at all?
    Approved at the end of last week (after submitting my app screenshots and some preliminary marketing materials on Monday). Adam reported that they were expecting new devices to arrive in 2-3 weeks.

One quick note regarding responsiveness and follow-through... while I was anxious of course and I wanted same day responses for every message I sent back and forth with Adam, it usually took him from 3-9 business days to reply to me. But he always replied within that window (approximately) and maybe more importantly, I didn't bug him in between messages. I'm sure they're all pretty busy doing other Dev Relations things as well as managing this program as a side responsibility, but Adam seems to have his shtuff together when it comes to the follow-ups. He never lost contact or didn't follow through on his end. Now, I'll now sit back and wait for 2-3 weeks (hopefully no more than 4-5 weeks -- if needed) until the Pre2 arrives so I can test out my first app on a real WebOS 2.1 phone.
  19. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    So do they actually tell you if you are approved?

All I've done is send the form and some screen shots and then got the line of being out of stock.

Does that mean I'm approved?

This process leaves a bit to be desired, but it's maybe a free phone so who am I to complain...
    Quote Originally Posted by pcworld View Post
    When did you get approved?
    I sent my original request 2/22, was told it was approved on 3/8, and received an update on 4/5 that they are still working through orders. It's tough to be patient, but it'll arrive eventually. I detailed the long wait for my free Pre Plus earlier in this thread.