1.    #1  
    OK folks I'm totally mired in confusion so help me out.

I understand a bit about various open source licenses and models and I can't get my head around what is under what license on these Palm/HP phones. Can someone give me a map and clarify where the open source licenses are in play and where the closed one's are? Also since various open source licenses have differing provisions can you point to what OSI approved license each of the various open source items falls under?
    it is closed source.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by jemojc View Post
    it is closed source.
    I think your answer missed the mark. The whole of HP's ecosystem that they added could be closed source - but - and it's an important but - some of the code running on our phones is most assuredly NOT closed source since it comes from Linux.

Furthermore I have seen links to the 2.0 sources for Pre2 2.x - so please give more details.

For example on the surface I would say:

Kernel - Open Source probably GPL license
    Luna - Closed Source?

But I'm sure there are other components and clarification would help.
    This is where you probably want to spend most of your time: Welcome to opensource.palm.com - Palm
    The "Open Source Packages" will have things broken down by release. As mentioned there, there is a PDF on your device containing all open source licenses. Here's a link to it (warning, large PDF) http://palm.cdnetworks.net/opensourc...nformation.pdf

webOS is a mix of closed and open source software. The Linux kernel is obviously open source. Luna is a mix of stuff, such as WebKit, V8, and closed source software.
    Last edited by Brain_ReCall; 02/17/2011 at 07:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall View Post
    This is where you probably want to spend most of your time: Welcome to opensource.palm.com - Palm
    The "Open Source Packages" will have things broken down by release. As mentioned there, there is a PDF on your device containing all open source licenses.

webOS is a mix of closed and open source software. The Linux kernel is obviously open source. Luna is a mix of stuff, such as WebKit, V8, and closed source software.
    Thank you. I'll look at this. Given the fact that many of the licenses for open source lean towards copyleft I'm surprised that Luna is a mix but now that you mention it I knew WebKit was the basis for the browser.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 02/17/2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: clarity
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Thank you. I'll look at this. Given the fact that many of the licenses for open source lean towards copyleft I'm surprised that Luna is a mix but now that you mention it I knew WebKit was the basis for the browser.
    Luna isn't actually a mix. Luna does not integrate within Webkit or V8 or any of that. Luna simply sits on top of those and interfaces with them, from what I understand. (Luna has a couple binaries, LunaSysMgr, WebAppMgr, and a few others)

Luna is closed source. I believe the most important part of Luna is that it is the graphics engine behind webkit (since webkit doesn't come with a graphics layer), and as such, it is allowed to be closed source.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup