1.    #1  
    Hi

Just changed from an iPhone 4 to a Pre and I am interested in dabbling with a bit of development for WebOS.

I have looked around the web and forums but am a little confused. As I understand it the current state of play is as follows, please correct me where I am wrong.

1. Mojo is dead from 2.1 onwards, although anything developed in it can be emulated.

2. Palm PDK, I can't work out where this fits now? Is it current, is it the best way to get started until I get a Palm 3?

3. Enyo is not out yet but is the future of web development, how do I get a copy when it does come out, is there a developer program with a fee like Apples? I can see where you can request it from the team as an email.

At the moment I just want to play around as I am currently in the middle of a course with the Open University and have little time, but am interested in the future as a part-time developer if I stick with the platform. iOS is just too crowded to make much money these days unless you strike it luck and get a 'featured app' link by Apple.

Any help appreciated.

John
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    You're in the same boat as me, trying to get started developing for webOS. It is a bit murky at the moment. See the Palm developer blog for an overview,

As far as I understand it:

For SDK (JavaScript programming), the current SDK is 1.4.5 (mojo), and 2.0 (enyo) is in beta. For the PDK (C/C++) programming, you can use the current PDK.

Sign up as a developer at developer.palm.com. You can download the "current" 1.4.5 SDK to start working with Mojo. You can then email palm to request access to the Early Access Program to get the beta of 2.0. It is open to new developers, but they're still working through requests so it can take some time. There is no fee right now.
    Also the PDK (C/C++) is currently geared towards games.. Complex app examples are hard to come by.

It's a really tuff ship to follow right now as most Pre/pixi users are on Sprint and their 2 years are almost up and no WebOS2.0 Device to upgrade to. So we are going to loose a large amount of the user base that would use the current "mojo" apps. That being said if you stick with HP you have a shot of being on the ground floor of a new platform that they are going to promote the heck out of.... I'm waiting for enyo now and have stopped mojo development.... i just tweek my apps here and there but thats about it.
    To make things more complex, you also have Ares: (Palm - Project Ares)

This is a Web-based development environment that Enyo is supposed to be based. So, it would probably be worthwhile to play around with the Ares environment, in addition to the SDK. Personally, I'd avoid the PDK unless you're specifically creating games.

As far as Enyo is concerned, send an e-mail to get early access. But, I wouldn't recommend trying to develop any "real" applications until it's finalized. Just focus on learning JavaScript, HTML, and CSS, IMHO.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guy's, all much clearer now.

I have decided to start with Mojo and a basic book just to get into the swing of the device and UI. Could be a longish wait for me for developers preview on Enyo as no track record of selling apps.

John
    Just to add a bit of perspective. According to Palm, Enyo is debuting with webOS 3.0 on the TouchPad, and won't even be on phones until later in the year.

Given that the ETA Palm gave for the TouchPad was "Summer", that puts Enyo release around then, with full adoption later.

So if ya develop in Mojo, ya got many months left before Enyo arrives. And even once it's here, Mojo will still be supported.

For the record, I'm not saying Enyo should be avoided, by any stretch of the imagination. Based off public demos, Enyo looks amazing. Just trying to say Mojo apps have a long lifecycle left in them.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    I have just retired first of the year and have spent January re-learning Java Script, CSS3, and HTML5. Then I have read the Mitch Allen’s Palm webOS book. I had to debug lot of problems in the book, which I think are webOS changes from when this book was written, also lot of my typo errors. I am now looking at Ares and just finished the FlickrSearch example program. I find that the code editor and debugger are only minimal and hope they put some work in that area for Enyo. I could be just spoiled because I have been working SAP development since 1997 and they have both an excellent editor and debugger.
    I am looking at Ares in hopes that it will help me with Enyo.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I found the stand-alone Ares tools helped me alot... Try:

https://ares.palm.com/AresDebug/ and https://ares.palm.com/AresLog/

from Chrome browser with your phone attached and SDK loaded.

Makes debugging and inspecting a lot easiser...
    Good luck
    DataJog - Ingeniously Moving Data From Your Desktop to ANY webOS or Android Device

123 Trace - ** NEW APP ** Teaches kids the 123's
    ABC Trace - Teaches kids the ABC's