1.    #1  
    I got into their beta program already but I discovered that you must pay 99 to upgrade, and you cannot submit and recieve payment (for) applications with the free version. However, I was reading and HP stated they waived the fee for a year so when I am upgrading do I need to provide credit card info? Quite honestly I'm only 16 and don't have 100 to just throw away like that without even knowing if I am going to make profit on this application... Also, do I really have to pay 50$ for submission of each app? No offense but if HP wants webOS to grow they aren't doing anything to attract developers..
    Those fees have been gone for quite some time. I don't know where you're getting that info, but they're not there any more.

The $99 fee has never been charged and never will be.
    The $50/app fee was charged for less than a year, and then Palm applied a retroactive cancellation (i.e. fee was gone AND they refunded everyone for the fee if they had ever been charged it)

That fee was gone around June 30 of last year.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Those fees have been gone for quite some time. I don't know where you're getting that info, but they're not there any more.

The $99 fee has never been charged and never will be.
    The $50/app fee was charged for less than a year, and then Palm applied a retroactive cancellation (i.e. fee was gone AND they refunded everyone for the fee if they had ever been charged it)

That fee was gone around June 30 of last year.
    Woah hold up, I went to upgrade my account and it's making me pay...
    Last edited by ursula; 02/15/2011 at 05:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Woah hold up, I went to upgrade my account and it's making me pay...
    No it isn't.

They require you to add a PayPal account, because you MUST have it linked before they can pay you.

When you add your PayPal account, it will "charge" you a $0.00 fee.

Even if you don't sell apps, you must have a PayPal account set up.

BUT if you change your PayPal account, there IS a $10 fee for that.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
  5.    #5  
    Ugh I just don't have a credit card #
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Ugh I just don't have a credit card #
    You don't need a credit card # for Palm, and I don't believe you need one for PayPal either.
    Arthur Thornton

You don't need a credit card # for Palm, and I don't believe you need one for PayPal either.
    No, definitely don't need one for the regular paypal account.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    I didnt pay any fees for my account. My qustion is though, does anyone know what qualifies one to get the pre 2 free? No webos 2.0 on old devices means no device to test any apps on. Since ill be working with enyo and 2.1 i would like to test on device when apps get to a certain stage. And im not about to get into a contract with anything other then a pre 3 so a free pre 2 would be nice since pres wont get 2.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by rexalbel View Post
    I didnt pay any fees for my account. My qustion is though, does anyone know what qualifies one to get the pre 2 free? No webos 2.0 on old devices means no device to test any apps on. Since ill be working with enyo and 2.1 i would like to test on device when apps get to a certain stage. And im not about to get into a contract with anything other then a pre 3 so a free pre 2 would be nice since pres wont get 2.0.
    Nobody knows yet what the qualifiers are, except I did see a tweet earlier saying it is limited to those developers who have apps in the Catalog (understandable, these things cost lots of cash).
    Arthur Thornton

Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    No, definitely don't need one for the regular paypal account.

Sent from my eVo
    Well there are some instances when you do need one. It depends how Palm does this (been a while since I checked), but if they link your account in a certain manner that lets them automatically deduct money from your account to charge you fees, then you do need a credit card on file (last time I checked).
    Arthur Thornton

Nobody knows yet what the qualifiers are, except I did see a tweet earlier saying it is limited to those developers who have apps in the Catalog (understandable, these things cost lots of cash).
    Understandable, though stinks those of us who dont have no real devices to test it on. I gues sdk will have to do untill summer or a 2.x doctor is officially released.
    Well there are some instances when you do need one. It depends how Palm does this (been a while since I checked), but if they link your account in a certain manner that lets them automatically deduct money from your account to charge you fees, then you do need a credit card on file (last time I checked).
    I stated for the regular paypal account, anyone can sign up for it and no credit card is needed.

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Well, apparently @germboy has devices for "recruiting", basically for devs who are serious about developing but have no apps in the catalog yet. So hit him up on Twitter to ask about it.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    I stated for the regular paypal account, anyone can sign up for it and no credit card is needed.

Sent from my eVo
    Yes, but for those regular PayPal accounts, in certain circumstances, you do need to add a credit card. Not to register, but to link your account with some companies (Palm may be one of them).
    Arthur Thornton