1.    #1  
    So I honestly had never heard of the pre before this past week. I have started looking for a new phone, a true smart phone that is a phone first and smart second. To be honest the Android and the iPhone just look cluttered and too involved.

Once I saw the news about the pre 3 and I pretty much narrowed it down to either the windows phone 7 or the pre3 but now im getting confused.

All of this talk about the pre 3 only supporting the web os 2.x and below and the existing pre phones, besides the pre 2, wont get an upgrade to os 2.x. Now I hear the the tablet is using os 3.x... So the new devices wont even use the same sdk( unless someone wants to seriously gimp their tablet app)? What is going on?

If the tablet is the main focus, which it seems to be, thats fine but I want to make sure there are at least some apps being made for the pre 3. It feels like if all the marketing is for the tablet then most of the apps will be in os 3.x which is incompatible with the pre 3.

For the veteran devs out there am I missing something? I would assume you would make the best app possible for the largest audience, that looks to be the tablet. Am I wrong?

Thanks for any help with the decision.
    WebOS development is not like iOS Development.

Any app made with Enyo (2.x +) will scale as needed to each device. And don't worry, there's no "stretching" of an app, or having to develop an app for each device individually.
    Part 02 -

That also worries me though. About the non-likeliness of the 2.0 Devices to minuses and plus' devices.

There likely won't be any update to legacy devices. So, don't buy any legacy devIces yet.

But if you can get any more people to join our revolution. Then do so...
    what carrier are you on.

I think you will be please with a Pre2 (or Pre3 once it ships.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    what carrier are you on.

I think you will be please with a Pre2 (or Pre3 once it ships.)
    I'd wait for a Pre 3 over buying a Pre 2 if you don't mind the wait....

What Pre 3 has that Pre 2 doesn't:
    Autofocus camera (2 & 3 both @ 5MP)
    Front facing camera (VGA for video chat)
    Compass
    400 Mhz more speed (Pre2 @ 1GHz / Pre3 @ 1.4GHz)
    Larger Screen (Pre2 @ 3.1" / Pre3 @ 3.58")
    Slightly larger or more spaced keyboard
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaSPARTAN003 View Post
    Part 02 -

That also worries me though. About the non-likeliness of the 2.0 Devices to minuses and plus' devices.

There likely won't be any update to legacy devices. So, don't buy any legacy devIces yet.

But if you can get any more people to join our revolution. Then do so...
    So, you are saying that the 2.x apps will work on 3.x devices. If the 2.x apps will scale upto 3.x devices then what is the advantage to using the 3.x sdk then? I guess im trying to figure out what the availability of apps will be given the different versions out there.

Edit: So I went back and re-read the webOS site and realized I was confused. There is no 3.x sdk, just a webOs version that is 3.x. The only sdk is the 2.x one so any apps made with it will work on both the webOS 2 and webOS 3 devices. Makes sense now. I am less concerned. The apps that are out now are pretty good so if they will continue working and all new apps will work on all of the new devices then that sounds good to me.
    Last edited by sdcougar; 02/15/2011 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Figured it out
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I'd wait for a Pre 3 over buying a Pre 2 if you don't mind the wait....

What Pre 3 has that Pre 2 doesn't:
    Autofocus camera (2 & 3 both @ 5MP)
    Front facing camera (VGA for video chat)
    Compass
    400 Mhz more speed (Pre2 @ 1GHz / Pre3 @ 1.4GHz)
    Larger Screen (Pre2 @ 3.1" / Pre3 @ 3.58")
    Slightly larger or more spaced keyboard
    My contract is up with tmobile now so thats why i am looking.
    The camera is useless to me, the compass seems nice but if i was somewhere i needed a compass i would bring an actual one. The speed, screen and keyboard size are definately advantages. Maybe now that verizon will have them i can go see one in person.
    Though you might not think that a compass is a big deal, consider how useful it is for apps that we can develop using its feed. Compass + GPS are incredible tools for developers and you are going to see some great interactive apps as a result! Also, with a front facing camera + Skype... video conferencing with your phone is pretty damn cool even if you are not into snapping pictures with your cell phone.

So my advice is to wait for the Pre3... Personally, its not like I have a choice since I'm with Sprint and I doubt we will ever even see a Pre2
    Though you might not think that a compass is a big deal, consider how useful it is for apps that we can develop using its feed. Compass + GPS are incredible tools for developers and you are going to see some great interactive apps as a result! Also, with a front facing camera + Skype... video conferencing with your phone is pretty damn cool even if you are not into snapping pictures with your cell phone.

So my advice is to wait for the Pre3... Personally, its not like I have a choice since I'm with Sprint and I doubt we will ever even see a Pre2
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Enyo apps won't support 2.x natively, but Palm said an update would fix that.
    Mojo apps are what are used now. There are over 6000 apps in the app catalog right now that'll work on the Pre 3.
    And webOS 3.0 on the tablet will "emulate" these ~6000 mojo apps.

So HP/Palm is telling developers to keep using mojo, but to be ready to make the transition to Enyo. Those who aren't developers shouldn't have to worry about this at all.

I'm biased, but I'd chose the Pre 3 over WP7. WP7's UI looks more "cool" than "usable", and I hear it has the Android problem having lots of overcomplicated menus.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.