Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    So instead of everyone complaining about HPs decision to not bring 2.0 to older devices i think we should all collaborate to develop a modified version of 2.0 to work on out old devices and show the man whos boss. Whos with me?
  2. mk3
    Global Posts
    622 Global Posts
    I'm with you! But I think someone said it was illegal.
    Feedback & Feature Requests | Palm USA

"Abracadabra Holmes"
    -Cal Naughton, Jr.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    is it? if it is then that really sucks but how can it be? if were allowed to obtain the sdk legaly and have a pre2 yet also have a pre- why cant we mess with it and throw it on the old pre
    Quote Originally Posted by NpManny View Post
    is it? if it is then that really sucks but how can it be? if were allowed to obtain the sdk legaly and have a pre2 yet also have a pre- why cant we mess with it and throw it on the old pre
    I am not sure but I believe distributing a modded version is illegal. It's not illegal to mod it.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    If Palm doesn't release the code, this could only be done with a pirated beta version. That would be unstable AND illegal.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    man this blows i really want 2.0 on my pre- -___- just like everyoe else i guess lol
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    If Palm doesn't release the code, this could only be done with a pirated beta version. That would be unstable AND illegal.
    No, 2.0 has been released. The SDK is what hasn't been released yet.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    man this blows i really want 2.0 on my pre- -___- just like everyoe else i guess lol
    Everyone has been screaming for new hardware. Be patient and see if Palm makes this better by providing a cheap migration path to a new device. They said they are working on that... and they really need to do that to make things right, IMHO.
    Quote Originally Posted by JLegacy View Post
    No, 2.0 has been released. The SDK is what hasn't been released yet.
    They haven't released 2.0 for Sprint. I don't know what all is needed, but the only 2.0 doctor that exists are the pirated betas that have popped up a few times.

I may have mixed up the terms, but that's not surprising since I'm not a developer.
    They haven't released 2.0 for Sprint. I don't know what all is needed, but the only 2.0 doctor that exists are the pirated betas that have popped up a few times.

I may have mixed up the terms, but that's not surprising since I'm not a developer.
    No, you're correct in what you said. The other person was incorrect, because this isn't speaking about the PRE2, but the "legacy devices"
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Well technically, the FrankenDoctor project was under way until some fools went overboard with it and returned their franken'd Pres. That would be perfectly legal to experiment with, figure out, and then post instructions on how to do... or pay someone to get it done...
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    The shrink-wrapped EULA in every doctor file specifically states:

RESTRICTIONS: The Software is licensed for use only with the single Palm device you originally purchased, and you may not distribute or make the Software available over a network or for use with multiple devices.
    Amazing how much info is contained within the text that precedes the "I accept" button on most software installers.....
    there's a 2.0.1 doctor for sprint out there and maybe a 2.1 so why not just take that, do whatever you need to do to overclock with it, convert the patches, and be done. i heard there's some known issues with the 2.0.1. one though. it's in the release logs. But they didn't seem that big. Although i think voice dial is missing. not positive on that.
    HP and Palm has forsaken original pre when they announce Feb 9th event i when ahead and bought a pre on craigslist just hoping finally I'll get 2.0 out with flash.

2 weeks before 9th i found the webos 2.1 leak that work on original pre but bit slow for my taste we need overclocking kernel to unlock potential.

On the 9th ( you know what they announce)

So i think original pre owners have 2 options either
    wait until a version of modified pre 2 webos 2.1 for palm pre with modified kernel that's able to boot on pre minus. ( which people consider illegal )

start hoping someone ports android for our pre which open source.
    if people have figure out how to get android to boot on iphone aside from physical button issues. Then there must be a way to make it work on palm pre and then we can finally have flash and updated apps since CPU is more then capable and i will never again buy an HP or palm product again.
    why it's illegal? What about the oldest android's phone HTC G1 aka HTC DREAM? Developers have pushed every latest version of android to it.. It got 2.2(froyo) and now developers are working to push 2.3(gingerbread) on it.. These updates are also unofficial.. Unofficial not illegal.. Why can't palm pre has webOS 2.0? HP said it doesn't have enough horse power.. This is just marketing to sell their newer devices.. Palm pre is a capable phone and it can run webOS way easily.. Developers should work on it.. And it would be unofficial not illegal!
    Best Regards.
    Quote Originally Posted by fahad123 View Post
    why it's illegal? What about the oldest android's phone HTC G1 aka HTC DREAM? Developers have pushed every latest version of android to it.. It got 2.2(froyo) and now developers are working to push 2.3(gingerbread) on it.. These updates are also unofficial.. Unofficial not illegal.. Why can't palm pre has webOS 2.0? HP said it doesn't have enough horse power.. This is just marketing to sell their newer devices.. Palm pre is a capable phone and it can run webOS way easily.. Developers should work on it.. And it would be unofficial not illegal!
    Best Regards.
    It's illegal because the software is the intellectual property of Palm (HP) and not open-source.
    I believe that android is so fragmented because it is free and open source... webOS is not.

Heres and excerpt from the wikipedia.

Licensing

With the exception of brief update periods, Android has been available under a free software / open source license since 21 October 2008. Google published the entire source code (including network and telephony stacks)[33] under an Apache License. Google also keeps the reviewed issues list publicly open for anyone to see and comment.
    You have to understand... google is not a tech company... its a marketing company. They make their money by selling information and statistics about you to advertising agencies. With android as a free OS lots of phone manufacturers can pick it up and reduce their production costs by quite a bit... then during the daily usage of your phone, googles systems get all kinds of metrics about you and use softwares to predict what kind of advertisements are most likely to attract your attention based on what kind of emails you get, the sites you visit, the people you talk to... etc.

webOS is a closed source operating system. Their main drive is to make money off the use of the OS and its hardware, rather than HOW you use it.
    Last edited by bluewanders; 02/14/2011 at 03:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppyjm View Post
    just intalled 2.0 on my sprint pre need help installing preware and im having issues:/ help anyone
    And issues will happen when you use something you aren't supposed to. It's well known there are problems with it!

Sent from my eVo
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Quote Originally Posted by sloppyjm View Post
    just intalled 2.0 on my sprint pre need help installing preware and im having issues:/ help anyone
    I don't think you are going to get much help installing illegal software and then asking for help from a group of users that don't have access to that code. Just sayin.
    It is illegal, but from my version I can assure you its not unstable
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast