Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabulous691 View Post
    hi everybody
    i'm actually running 2.0.1 , Palm pre Plus, SFR, GSM, azery keyboard .
    A guy give me the webos doctor, but i have problems that dont exists on the previous 2.0 version i tried,and on 1.4.5

First of all, my battery life is really bad with it. But it should be the opposite isnt it?

And i meet screen problems, waking up and down... when it is waking up, it is not immediately done, but with a sort of lagging brightness..Same for sleep.

I flashed too times, and erase everything too, it doesnt resolve the problem.

A strange thing is that my previous webos doctor 2.0 is a 189mb file, and the 2.0.1, 386 Mb file.
    Could it be linked to the webosdoctor file....?
    What should i try to resolve these 2 problems, battery life that sucks and the brightness bug in 2.0.1
    i would like to keep it...
    You're installing a black box. You have no idea what has been altered or what has been added and for all you know there are keyloggers and other nasty items burried in the binaries. I would not trust this software and I would immediately do a full erase. What version you go back to depends on your risk tolerance and your estimate of the legal implications.

Curious - what is it that is so compelling about this buggy thing that you want to keep it?
    No thanks Uncle I will just wait for an approved version of the doctor . It's the safest way to go without messing up my phone . And if the source code is made available and someone makes a stable doctor then I will go that route . Thanks

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    No thanks Uncle I will just wait for an approved version of the doctor . It's the safest way to go without messing up my phone . And if the source code is made available and someone makes a stable doctor then I will go that route . Thanks
    I wouldn't want to use it either. But my point is that people keep saying that they don't have the source for the kernel for the Pre Plus which is true but source for the Pre2 and PrePlus on a previous version of the kernel exist and rumors of a version of the Pre/PrePlus Kernel also exist. The idea that no source is avaiilable seems oversimplified to me. If Palm / HP isn't careful the Free Software Foundation is going to come knocking and they have an amazing success rate with lawsuits over copyleft protections.

EDITED for clarity.
    Last edited by Unclevanya; 02/17/2011 at 07:11 AM. Reason: clarity
    Could the users who have Web Os 2.0 on The Pre post some videos on You tube.
    Last edited by Filipxy; 02/17/2011 at 08:15 AM.
    As for paid 2.0 apps, right now, Palm has not filtered 2.0 apps out of the 1.4.5 catalog. This means you can buy the 2.0 app you want before dropping 1.4.5, then redownload it in 2.0 (if you use the same profile). If you use a different profile, I'm sure you can figure it out. The doctor I used overwrote the media partition, so make sure you back that up. Also, I haven't had any screen issues, the only thing that guaranteed restarts Luna so far rearranging cards, can't do it. You can make 'em, rename 'em, can't rearrange 'em.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by Filipxy View Post
    Could the users who have Web Os 2.0 on The Pre post some videos on You tube.
    I found a video
    Here's the deal with WebOS 2 on the sprint pre -

I found a certain something in a certain somewhere that i will not disclose. Ran it and updated my phone to 2.0. Compared to running 1.4.5 with UnixPsYcHo's SR71 kernel @ 1.2ghz, WebOS 2.0 at times is faster, but when it lags.. it seriously lags even having the cpu clocked at 600mhz (which did create a huge improvement). The new features in 2.0 are great but not being able to create bookmarks sucks. Even after making most the logging turned to error only helps but don't expect it not to freeze without having a cpu at 1.0ghz. I can only imagine what the pre 2 is like with it's cpu clocked at 1ghz and more ram.

Without any of the kernel optimizations like overclocking, compcache and the TMC fix.. for everyday use i will say it's simply not worth it.. All the apps you bought with your currently profile won't load on it because you can't use your same profile for some reason.. so you have to create a new profile with none of your purchased apps, etc..

Im going back to 1.4.5 once my battery finishes charging.

Seriously, just be patient and wait for HP to make it right.
    Global Posts
    518 Global Posts
    I've had the doctor for a little over a week just because I dont want to give up on all of the patches and optimizations that I have installed on my Pre- I will say tho that once Pre3 hits sprint I will be doctoring my Pre- with this!
    Ħ╬čųβΔ
    Sent from my HTC Evo 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostinator View Post
    Here's the deal with WebOS 2 on the sprint pre -

I found a certain something in a certain somewhere that i will not disclose. Ran it and updated my phone to 2.0. Compared to running 1.4.5 with UnixPsYcHo's SR71 kernel @ 1.2ghz, WebOS 2.0 at times is faster, but when it lags.. it seriously lags even having the cpu clocked at 600mhz (which did create a huge improvement). The new features in 2.0 are great but not being able to create bookmarks sucks. Even after making most the logging turned to error only helps but don't expect it not to freeze without having a cpu at 1.0ghz. I can only imagine what the pre 2 is like with it's cpu clocked at 1ghz and more ram.

Without any of the kernel optimizations like overclocking, compcache and the TMC fix.. for everyday use i will say it's simply not worth it.. All the apps you bought with your currently profile won't load on it because you can't use your same profile for some reason.. so you have to create a new profile with none of your purchased apps, etc..

Im going back to 1.4.5 once my battery finishes charging.

Seriously, just be patient and wait for HP to make it right.
    I found that while you can't add new bookmarks, you can edit the default 6 to be whatever you want them to be which I did and that is enough to get me by my most important sites..
    Thx for all your answers guys.
    Ill in effect wait, stay in 1.4.5 waiting the release (hypothetical hypothetic release ), and maybe i'll try to buy a pre 2 if i dont feel my heart will support all that time between me and Pre 3.
    Good week all , ++
    Actually running on Palm Pre Plus - France -
    Next phone : Palm Pre 2/3? ! WebOs Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Here's what I fail to follow in this thread - if HP places software for download without controls it's free to pick up - that isn't illegal to obtain. What you do with it may be however.

Further - if the kernel is based on Linux and source for 2.0 on Pre2 is available and if source for 1.4.5 on Pre - and Pre Plus is available what is complicated about this? Can't someone fork a version of the kernel using the sources for both of these releases?

Obviously this "frankenKernel" would be experimental and there would be a significant testing hurdle to overcome.

I realize that creating a Kernel like this does not make the proprietary code contained in 2.x available for distribution legally. I'm just asking a theoretical question because some of the responses about not having the kernel source seem counter to open source requirements.

For example - if Palm/HP created and tested a Kernel for PrePlus - isn't that copyleft protected and essentially no longer theirs? Again I realize that this has zip to do with the overall package including their proprietary code.

Just wondering. See also my related thread asking about the specifics of the open source vs. closed source landscape on these phones.
    The doctors that are *publicly* released by HP are fine for anyone to use on their own personal webOS device. No-one other than HP is allowed to redistribute webOS doctor files. Anyone else who does so is violating copyright law.

The kernel is open source, and the source code for the kernel for 1.4.5 on the Pre and 2.0.1 on the Pre 2 is available on opensource.palm.com - however, the kernel source code for 2.0.1 on the Pre 2 is not suitable for use on the Pre (different hardware), and the kernel for 1.4.5 on the Pre is not suitable for use with the 2.0.1 software (different toolchains, and graphics module interface incompatibilities).

HP distributes early access binary items (which include a Linux kernel) to a closed testing group. Note the terms in the GPL which specifically apply to that situation. Just cause something leaks out of that group doesn't mean that the original author of the source code needs to distribute the source code to the recipients of the leaked binaries.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Guys, there is currently a PALM made 2.0 doctor for the pre on sprint. Sure, its illegal but thats beside the point. The point being that they are DEFINITELY working on a doctor for us. Just be patient. I will arrive soon enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Guys, there is currently a PALM made 2.0 doctor for the pre on sprint. Sure, its illegal but thats beside the point. The point being that they are DEFINITELY working on a doctor for us. Just be patient. I will arrive soon enough.
    Er, not really. One of the devs in the 2.0 program broke NDA on funkatron's blog and basically said that the devs had been testing the doctors on their devices (the ones that ended up being pirated) for a while and that essentially late last month, they were told to delete the software from their phone and never speak of it again. Then there was Adora's hinting that there would be a non-OTA method of updating Pre -/+ before Rubenstein overshot her and said there wouldn't be an update, PERIOD, zip zero nada, of any kind, which she then basically confirmed.

SOOOOOOOOO, no there is no doctor coming for us, this doctor you have is either the last or next to the last doctor that the devs were testing before HP/Palm pulled the plug.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by manordwall View Post
    Don't hold your breath waiting. Ruby was pretty clear on this point.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    The doctors that are *publicly* released by HP are fine for anyone to use on their own personal webOS device. No-one other than HP is allowed to redistribute webOS doctor files. Anyone else who does so is violating copyright law.

The kernel is open source, and the source code for the kernel for 1.4.5 on the Pre and 2.0.1 on the Pre 2 is available on opensource.palm.com - however, the kernel source code for 2.0.1 on the Pre 2 is not suitable for use on the Pre (different hardware), and the kernel for 1.4.5 on the Pre is not suitable for use with the 2.0.1 software (different toolchains, and graphics module interface incompatibilities).

HP distributes early access binary items (which include a Linux kernel) to a closed testing group. Note the terms in the GPL which specifically apply to that situation. Just cause something leaks out of that group doesn't mean that the original author of the source code needs to distribute the source code to the recipients of the leaked binaries.

-- Rod
    Rod - what confuses me. And help me through this please. Is what could be different in the two kernels that couldn't be changed? I realize there are other items in webOS 2.x that may be more complicated - but how difficult is it given the 1.4.5 that exists for current hardware and the 2.x that exists for new hardware? It's one thing to have two binary kernels without source but with source for both - is it that hard to create a new version of the 2.x one for the old hardware? I just want clarification from a technical standpoint - I understand that legally there are components in webOS 2.x that are not open source and would not necessarily work and would not be licensed for older devices in any case.
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Er, not really. One of the devs in the 2.0 program broke NDA on funkatron's blog and basically said that the devs had been testing the doctors on their devices (the ones that ended up being pirated) for a while and that essentially late last month, they were told to delete the software from their phone and never speak of it again. Then there was Adora's hinting that there would be a non-OTA method of updating Pre -/+ before Rubenstein overshot her and said there wouldn't be an update, PERIOD, zip zero nada, of any kind, which she then basically confirmed.

SOOOOOOOOO, no there is no doctor coming for us, this doctor you have is either the last or next to the last doctor that the devs were testing before HP/Palm pulled the plug.

But for those who got the message that announce a update (partnership between SFR and HP Palm in my case), are they concerned by what u are telling??
    Actually running on Palm Pre Plus - France -
    Next phone : Palm Pre 2/3? ! WebOs Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Rod - what confuses me. And help me through this please. Is what could be different in the two kernels that couldn't be changed? I realize there are other items in webOS 2.x that may be more complicated - but how difficult is it given the 1.4.5 that exists for current hardware and the 2.x that exists for new hardware? It's one thing to have two binary kernels without source but with source for both - is it that hard to create a new version of the 2.x one for the old hardware? I just want clarification from a technical standpoint - I understand that legally there are components in webOS 2.x that are not open source and would not necessarily work and would not be licensed for older devices in any case.
    At the moment, the issue is not so much the kernel, but a proprietary userspace pvr graphics setup binary. Ask destinal in the IRC channel for details.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post

Can you or someone else post a link to them confirming no updates for "legacy" phones?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    At the moment, the issue is not so much the kernel, but a proprietary userspace pvr graphics setup binary. Ask destinal in the IRC channel for details.

-- Rod
    Not a problem. This makes sense to me - some of the other folks were making noises like the Kernel was the issue and that did not make a heck of a lot of sense to me. Thank you.
    Global Posts
    197 Global Posts
    well while everyone here bickers about it....put it this way i got 2.1 on my sprint pre dont worry about how i did it runs faster than 1.4.5 all the patches i use work a theme works for the most part and i never said bookmarks so i dont care bout them all in all 2.1 is awesome on it and it will hold me over till the pre 3 is out if it comes on sprint nuff said
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast