1.    #1  
    What? Well then when? Why a February 9 event then??? - That pretty much sums up what I got from tonight.

-No immediate production release of the highly anticipated(?) Enyo.

-No production ready tablet to demo (the Touchpad was far from finished and couldn't even demo its camera).

-No specific release dates given for product shipment.

-No gifts for us committed (almost to the point of delusion) cult-like developers which they proclaimed onstage they are totally grateful and committed to.

-No updates to our pre-PalmPre2 devices (a non-issue for me since I'm a Sprint customer and my original Pre will probably fall apart before 2.0 is released anyway).

-No Apotheker. OK, its not like I thought that he would have anything of substance to say to us developers, but his presence would have at least showed HPs committment to webOS and its success.

So I go back to my original question of why Feb. 9 for this event??? Was it the day HP built its 1st printer in their garage? Was there some kind of planetary alignment I am not privy to? It's not like they are up against the clock to announce anything since they missed CES already. Why not wait to make your big press announcement when you have something to actually announce? Shouldn't this event have happened in the summer which is when they said they would had the Touchpad's ready to ship (approximately the summer).

Well, I'm glad I live in Sonoma County and Fort Mason in SF is only a 45 minute drive for me. For all of you who came from parts a bit further - I'm sorry (someone should apologize so I'll take it upon myself).

At least they had those braised pulled pork on tiny waffle thingies. Unfortunately we didnt even get an empty HP/Palm bag so that I could have stashed a few more to go for the drive home.
    May i add :

- No gesture area on the TouchPad
    - A removable 3.5mm jack for the Veer (ridiculous) using a propriatory connector (which is also used for data transfer, yeah, no micro usb...)
    May you also add... that developers now have a ZERO user base? and we need to "unlearn" mojo. Current userbase will NOT get 2.0 and there are NO WebOS2.0 devices out there, ok Pre2 but with No marketing no hype how good will it sell, and iPhone just announced? Pre2 is an afterthough/proof of concept...it's a developer phone. And there is no SDK for 2.0 so we can't write anything but on an ALPHA SDK? Def a HUGE setback. Makes me want to pick up a book for andriod or dare i say iPhone

And current user base will start to jump ship like it's on fire... so there are ZERO users now and we won't see a user base till Pre3 is launched AFTER the iPhone5 LoL. who will write apps in mojo now? with the news that has been released? No one. and why would Pre/Pixi users stick around when no more apps are going to written for their phone?

what a crock... this will set developers back about a YEAR till new user base is established
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I've been wanting to start developing for WebOS for awhile now. I've got a few ideas for some apps that I've been working out on paper, but I've got a dilemma...

I waited for my carrier to get the Pre Plus so I could actually play with a unit and see if my ideas made sense. By this time, I've caught wind of the upcoming PDK API which meshed well with one of my projects.

I waited for the PDK API and started playing with it and Aries. By this time I caught wind of WebOS 2.0 and Enyo. Enyo was hyped up big so I stopped my work with Aries.

Now I'm waiting for Enyo and got wind that any model under the Pre 2 is stuck at WebOs 1.x.

As a promising developer, I feel like the rug keeps getting pulled out from under me. I thought all of this would make it easier to build apps? Maybe I'll consider going back to WebOS programming if HP gets serious.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    I just found webOS like 3 days ago...

What do I need to start developing for the new os coming out or whatever...

Is there a devkit yet?
    correction for some above they stated MOJO will still work fine for developers so thats not a issue. I think the no gesture area on the tablet is smart because someone mentioned with the playbook they kept accidently hitting it and going out of the program. On a phone its different because less of your wrist and palms are near the gesture area, on a tablet there is. Also switchin orintations holding it you will likely hit the gesture area alot. My beef is with the release dates we need the tablet and the Pre 3 no later then April period.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by xfrdxdvoko View Post
    I just found webOS like 3 days ago...

What do I need to start developing for the new os coming out or whatever...

Is there a devkit yet?
    You need a new customer base to develop your apps for since the miniscule amount of current webOS users just got flushed down the toilet. Maybe you can develop an app for iPhone and Android that hypnotizes their users to jump ship and get a webOS device that's not yet available.

So if you recently found webOS just put it back on the ground where you found it and walk away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ginsnet View Post
    You need a new customer base to develop your apps for since the miniscule amount of current webOS users just got flushed down the toilet. Maybe you can develop an app for iPhone and Android that hypnotizes their users to jump ship and get a webOS device that's not yet available.

So if you recently found webOS just put it back on the ground where you found it and walk away.
    Quote Originally Posted by ginsnet View Post
    LOL, that's just cold.
    @Wellwellwell11

Please don't refer to the BB Playbook "gesture area". It's crap and you know it. To make the gesture area work on a Palm you have to make precise gesture ON it, and sometimes it doesn't even work because the gesture wasn't precise enough. And as far as i know when you hold a tablet, you usually hold it from the sides in portrait mode.
    As for the landscape mode, i don't see how holding your tablet would activate the gesture area. Again, back to the precise gesture.

Also, this lack of gesture area makes me wonder something. If i'm correct, the new dev tool allow an easy upscale of your smartphone apps to the TouchPad, right ? So the dev shouldn't worry about porting their app to the TouchPad. But what about the in app gesture area ? For example gesture back to go to previous screen/page of the app. How is it gonna work ? Imo it's a fail from HP.

Edit :

Not to mention that the gesture area was one of the few TRUE innovation in the touch device market in a few years. Everyone's got multitouch, simple touch, camera...
    Last edited by Weshouille; 02/10/2011 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weshouille View Post
    Also, this lack of gesture area makes me wonder something. If i'm correct, the new dev tool allow an easy upscale of your smartphone apps to the TouchPad, right ? So the dev shouldn't worry about porting their app to the TouchPad. But what about the in app gesture area ? For example gesture back to go to previous screen/page of the app. How is it gonna work ? Imo it's a fail from HP.
    My guess is the app will still receive the same (or similar) events and react accordingly. You don't code to the "back gesture", you code to the "back event". That event can be triggered by a gesture or a button or whatever.
    @taharka
    Thanx for the info, i have to say i'm not a dev and i don't know anything about coding.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weshouille View Post
    May i add :

- No gesture area on the TouchPad
    - A removable 3.5mm jack for the Veer (ridiculous) using a propriatory connector (which is also used for data transfer, yeah, no micro usb...)
    A gesture area will be available for Mojo apps on TouchPad. Mojo apps will get scaled and a simulated gesture area will be available for them.

The Veer is so small that there is no space for a jack. And the connector is quite cool, I wish the pre3 had it.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    The Veer is so small that there is no space for a jack. And the connector is quite cool, I wish the pre3 had it.
    I suspect they will have a hard time with this one. No matter how cool the jack is, it is inconvenient.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    I suspect they will have a hard time with this one. No matter how cool the jack is, it is inconvenient.
    Several folks at the event though that the pre3 should have both - jack and the new magnetic connector.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    @kill Dano

So this WebOs Doctor puts a 2.0.1 in our legacy devices ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Several folks at the event though that the pre3 should have both - jack and the new magnetic connector.
    Sorry, I was referring to regular customers, not the types that frequent these types of events. I don't see it going over too well. Of course, I could be wrong. Time will tell.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    If you hadn't already seen what will happen with the gesture area in the Mojo/Enyo conversion, please read. It's P|C's latest entry:

Current webOS apps will run in emulation on webOS 3 / TouchPad | PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    I bet you probably already got this, but the look on that baby Orangutan's face that is your avatar is probably how everyone else looked once they found out the bad news.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taharka View Post
    Sorry, I was referring to regular customers, not the types that frequent these types of events. I don't see it going over too well. Of course, I could be wrong. Time will tell.
    Its magnetic, which helps avoid accidents.