1.    #1  
    It's in the title.
    I think we're at a point where no-one is sure what the deal is with future development. Potentially, it seems that we may have to code mojo and enyo apps but nothing is certain.

Maybe after the dev thing this evening we'll have a better idea.
    Don't do a thing... wait.. At this point if they won't give the origional Pre's and Pixis 2.0 AND they have NOT released 2.0 sdk.. there are going to be a lot of things changing. And a LOT of people getting rid of their Pre's in droves. So might as well try and write code with the 2.0 sdk...
    As a developer, who would want to stay w/ this if they can't make any money? The products probably won't be out until june. And you've got a base of customers who won't even get the latest os. Is this not insane? What kind of business since does this make? Developers, you can work but not make any money? For real?
  5.    #5  
    It's just that I want to write applications for a device I have... I understand your point, however.
    I'm watching the liveblog for the new framework.. and HP just said we will have to "unlearn" Mojo... and it was "messy"

They just answered your question... don't learn mojo... it's a waist of time at this point.
    This is going on live now... click on link below

http://www.precentral.net/hp-thinkbe...event-liveblog
  7.    #7  
    UGH I'm excited and disappointed at the same time. I know some but not all javascript, and I am just kind of messy with it in the first place... but then they said Ares was able to test directly on device and you are building apps straight in the browser... So cya later Eclipse! I just don't like declaring objects directly via javascript because HTML is just so much easier to me Ugh but idk the pros outweigh the cons. It's still way easier than iOS or Android.
    Just wanna note, at DevDay, they said there'd be backwards compatibility for Mojo. Whether that changes or not is up in the air.

Also, consider this: Nearly all the Enyo examples were on the tablet (webOS 3.0; ETA summer). Was also mentioned the Pre 3's phone app (webOS 2.2; ETA spring) was developed in Enyo.

So that mean we could potentially be waiting until Spring before Enyo apps can go on the App Catalog. Not too long of a wait, but also considering the older devices won't be getting 2.0, it's up to you to decide what to code. Though if the Enyo framework is as quick and easy as advertised, you may wanna hold off on Enyo for a bit. Otherwise you may have an app you can't release officially or in homebrew (due to NDA) for a while and it's possible framework api may change over the months (it is alpha after all).

Myself, personally, I plan to continue Mojo development for a while yet. I definitely will look at Enyo heavily and plan out app rewrites, but not dive seriously into re-coding until I've gotten a few more App Catalog apps out. I gotta get more stuff public otherwise it'll be a long time before I'm able to profit from my time spent on apps. That said, I'll definitely be recoding my apps in Enyo, somewhere down the road
    Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 02/09/2011 at 10:33 PM.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    It's in the title.
    You should never, EVER wait for a new thing to learn. If you haven't put an app in the catalog, start working on a beta project. Odds are your first one will highly benefit from a re-write ANYWAY when Enyo comes out.

As I've said elsewhere, there are a whole smattering of things you should learn if you're going to develop for WebOS beyond just Mojo or Enyo or Jupiter.

1: JavaScript. Learn the good parts. Learn the bad parts. Make your own objects, your own arrays, and figure out why and when function(x) {var y = x; return y++} results in a change to x.

2: The DOM. If you can't write a calculator in a web page, that lets you pull up google to check your work, both with onclick="" and event.addListenter(), you have more to learn. If you know that, make a dynamic form with help for each and every field.

3: JavaScript Frameworks. Learn a smattering of jquery and prototype. $() is weird but useful, and understanding prototype's Template() makes Mojo actually make sense.

4: SQL. Sure, there's a fancy new synergy data-o-matic out there... but for anything that's not a standalone "document" type, you'll want SQL.

4a: Learn SQLite, which is annoying different from MySQL or T-SQL.

5: Learn XML and XSLT. The tools are built into webkit, and for some things beat the pants off of JSON or prototype templates.

6: HTTP. Sure, Ajax.Request might do 90% of what you want... but HTTP is simple enough that it's worth your time to learn for that last 10%.

7: CSS. Heck, learn this sooner. You should be able to do the fancy menu from #2 all in pure CSS, along with a floating menu. (Want to make your Enyo app not stock? You'll NEED to know CSS.)

And if you learn all that, start cracking on the C side.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath