1.    #1  
    Hi, all! I want to write WebOS apps, so I've been studying JavaScript. But one thing I don't understand is the graphics. I've been through two JSJSJS $books$ $and$ $have$ $found$ $nothing$ $about$ $graphics$/$animation$/$etc$. $What$ $do$ $I$ $need$ $to$ $study$ $to$ $get$ $into$ $that$?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    I guess it depends on what you're doing with those graphics. Since webOS isn't just JSJSJS $you$ $could$ $use$ $a$ $simple$ $html$ $img$ $tag$ $to$ $display$ $a$ $picture$. $There$'$s$ $also$ $the$ $canvas$ $tag$ $which$ $gives$ $more$ $flexibility$. $Then$ $there$'$s$ $game$ $graphics$ $where$ $you$'$d$ $be$ $better$ $off$ $with$ $SDL$ $or$ $OpenGL$. $What$ $are$ $you$ $writing$?

- Phil -
  3.    #3  
    You see, I thought webOS WAS just HTML, CSS and JavaScript...lol.

I would love to get into games at some point. Right now, the most pressing animation/graphics is this: I want to have a rosary displayed on the screen (if you don't know, think of a pearl necklace instead). I want the user to be able to tap on a bead and have the bead light up, and when they tap on it the prayer for that bead will be displayed. What language do I need to learn for that sort of animation?
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dtarvin View Post
    You see, I thought webOS WAS just HTML, CSS and JavaScript...lol.

I would love to get into games at some point. Right now, the most pressing animation/graphics is this: I want to have a rosary displayed on the screen (if you don't know, think of a pearl necklace instead). I want the user to be able to tap on a bead and have the bead light up, and when they tap on it the prayer for that bead will be displayed. What language do I need to learn for that sort of animation?
    If you want something to just change, have two images and have them just switch when it's tapped. You can use opacity or rotation to make the transition more visual, but if you want something more complex, you'll need to use sprite animation.
    Palm Pre. Sprint.

View My Mockup!
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    I know absolutely nothing that can help but can offer encouragement. I miss my PalmOs virtual rosary.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    That sounds pretty basic. I'd start with trying to develop a web app version first. The internet is littered with JSJSJS/$CSS$/$HTML$ $tutorials$ $aimed$ $at$ $pretty$ $much$ $what$ $you$'$re$ $trying$. $Get$ $it$ $working$ $in$ $a$ $browser$ $first$ $then$ $worry$ $about$ $making$ $it$ $an$ $app$. $You$'$ll$ $save$ $yourself$ $lots$ $of$ $headaches$.

- Phil -
    Definitely do-able with HTML/Javascript. I second the idea of a web app initially.

Display a image of the string of beads using an HTML image tag, having worked out the coordinates of the rectangles containing each of the beads, listen for mouse clicks from the image with the appropriate coordinates and display the appropriate message.