Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hey,
    I'm trying my *** of trying to learn how to ccode for webos. I have almost no prior experience and am finding it difficult. I am using all of the tips provided on the forums so far and bought a couple of books. I'm wondering how you got to the level you are at. School, self-taught, etc?
    This is a good starting point for HTML/Javscript/CSS, which you need a handle on for webOS programming.

W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
    Is that still needed for enyo?

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    you picked a heck of a platform to start programming with.... it's undergoing major changes as we speak... i would start with regular web pages... css... and javascript. W3 Schools like posted above is a great place to start. Don't worry about making a phone app just yet. you need to make a web page that lets say takes in 2 numbers via text boxes and adds them thogether via javascript... once you can do that via a web page.. you can write an app for the most part.

Again the way we write apps is going to change soon... so get working on making some functional web page... and you'll be one big step closer when the "new" framework gets released to us.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    Is that still needed for enyo?
    Hopefully we will find out soon, but I would expect so. My impression is that Enyo is just and alternative framework to Mojo with a simplified interface.
    Yes, w3Schools is a nice resource for beginners. Just keep in mind that currently, the web development community has become very hostile against them with w3Fools. Personally, I think they're being overzealous, but it would be a good idea to move on to other resources after you have a good idea on how to code javascript.

Also, I follow these blogs, as they usually provide good information:
    http://pdnblog.palm.com/
    http://benalman.com/news/
    http://www.adequatelygood.com/
    http://dailyjs.com/
    http://javascriptweblog.wordpress.com/
    http://www.yuiblog.com/blog/

If anyone has other blogs they follow that are useful to webOS developers, please share!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Hey, i am in a similar position as u. Ive designed several mock ups for apps ect but realized i really want to learn how to make them myself rather then have someone else do it. I also could use a little extra cash on the side. I am a student working minimum wage so anything flexible is nice, esp since i enjoy designing things. Anyway i have a close family friend who is a professor and is lending me books. I like the books because they go through each section as a project so its very hands on. The html is very easy for me so far, with little to no experience before. I started to try anr jump from html to emulator though and realize im better off taking it step by step. Apps use some html and css but functions are all javascript which is verry different then html. So im just going to go through all the books untill i can create a webpage. Which will eventually be my developing companies page i say take it step by step so u dont overwhelm urself.
    This is probably one of my favorite thread titles ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    Hopefully we will find out soon, but I would expect so. My impression is that Enyo is just and alternative framework to Mojo with a simplified interface.
    Enyo is replacing Mojo. Mojo is going away after some time (probably after this year) and Enyo will soon be the exclusive webOS app framework.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    +1
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiddlekins View Post
    what's wrong with it? You don't have to open to figure out what its about. No mystery. So?
    Quote Originally Posted by prequan View Post
    what's wrong with it? You don't have to open to figure out what its about. No mystery. So?
    Nothing wrong with a title that doesn't have proper puncuation and spelling when the premise behind it is asking where you got "your knowledge" from

It's more humerous than anything and I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
  13.    #13  
    it's "punctuation". "your knowledge" is correct english. I still don't get it.
    thanks for that but if you want to heat it up...."ur" is NOT a word so look at YOUR title again
  15.    #15  
    ur is proper for the internet and for typing on a phone.
  16.    #16  
    anyways, this is bs. I didn't post for someone to start correcting my shortened typing. Was just looking for some tips and trying to be friendly.
    hey,
    I'm trying my *** of trying to learn how to ccode for webos. I have almost no prior experience and am finding it difficult. I am using all of the tips provided on the forums so far and bought a couple of books. I'm wondering how you got to the level you are at. School, self-taught, etc?
    To answer the OP’s question, I started out with a book and a TI-99/4A (early 80s I think). Years later I took a class in high school on Turbo Pascal (~1992). Somewhere around ~1999 I decided to get back into programming and took some classes at my local two-year college, SAC. At SAC I took classes on COBOL, C++, VBVBVB $and$ $Java$. $I$ $quit$ $going$ $a$ $couple$ $of$ $classes$ $short$ $of$ $getting$ $an$ $associate$$s$ $degree$ $and$ $stopped$ $messing$ $with$ $programming$ $back$ $around$ $2000$. $The$ $Pre$ $was$ $the$ $first$ $phone$ $I$ $ever$ $got$ $that$ $compelled$ $me$ $to$ $get$ $back$ $into$ $programming$ $and$ $writing$ $apps$. $Anyhow$, $I$ $bought$ $a$ $book$ $on$ $webOS$ $and$ $jumped$ $back$ $into$ $coding$.
  18.    #18  
    sweet. Thx for the response. Do you think a course on javascript would be helpful then? Or should I just teach myself? I did learn the basics of html myself back in the late 90's but its waaaay easier than jsjsjs ($which$ $is$ $the$ $only$ $part$ $I$'$m$ $really$ $having$ $trouble$ $with$)
    a few weeks ago i asked the same question here. i received a lot of good links and info. so you could check out what was told to me by checking out my threads . i go to school for multimedia programming but i have to take web design courses as part of my curriculum, therefore i have a lot of html and css knowledge. i just had to find out how it pertains to webos and also brush up on my coding. so i collected a bunch of books that go with my schools curriculum and they should get you a lot of html css and javascript knowledge. Learning Web Design by jennifer robbins, The Essential Guide to CSS and HTML Web Design by craig grannell, The-CSS-Anthology-101-Essential-Tips-Tricks-Hacks-3rd-Edition-(2009) by rachel andrew, Apress - Practical Palm Pre WebOS Projects (2009) by Apress, and Apress.Beginning.Smartphone.Web.Development by apress.

HOPE IT Helps
    sweet. Thx for the response. Do you think a course on javascript would be helpful then? Or should I just teach myself? I did learn the basics of html myself back in the late 90's but its waaaay easier than jsjsjs ($which$ $is$ $the$ $only$ $part$ $I$'$m$ $really$ $having$ $trouble$ $with$)
    It depends on how you learn best. There are some core concepts to programming that you should get familiar with IF you are not already. stacks (LIFO: Last In, First Out), queues (FIFO: First In, First Out), nodes, programming with class objects, etc…

I have a couple of webOS books, Amazon.com: Palm webOS (9780596155254): Mitch Allen: Books and Amazon.com: Practical Palm Pre webOS Projects (Beginning) (9781430226741): Frank Zammetti: Books but I don't think either goes into much of the basics and both assume you have some experience with programming and Java Script.

This page has some starter info, but may be too basic depending on your current level of experience: Programming Concepts - Prof. Holowczak although it doesn’t go too deep. And here is a good place to start with webOS specifics, although you have probably been here already... Dev Guide - HP Palm Developer Center
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast