Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    To answer the OP’s question, I started out with a book and a TI-99/4A (early 80s I think). Years later I took a class in high school on Turbo Pascal (~1992). Somewhere around ~1999 I decided to get back into programming and took some classes at my local two-year college, SAC. At SAC I took classes on COBOL, C++, VBVBVB $and$ $Java$. $I$ $quit$ $going$ $a$ $couple$ $of$ $classes$ $short$ $of$ $getting$ $an$ $associate$&#$8217$;$s$ $degree$ $and$ $stopped$ $messing$ $with$ $programming$ $back$ $around$ $2000$. $The$ $Pre$ $was$ $the$ $first$ $phone$ $I$ $ever$ $got$ $that$ $compelled$ $me$ $to$ $get$ $back$ $into$ $programming$ $and$ $writing$ $apps$. $Anyhow$, $I$ $bought$ $a$ $book$ $on$ $webOS$ $and$ $jumped$ $back$ $into$ $coding$.
    if you dont mind me asking, what book did you purchase?

i am a cs/cis major, sophomore in college, and I've taken 2 classes on java, 1 for html, 1 for database, and am currently in one doing vbvbvb.

i also feel like the OP'er but i feel like i have a slightly better understanding of programming so i want to make the next step into learning how to make webOS apps.

EDIT: oops, nevermind, just read your previous post. lol.
    Here is your homework.... go to W3Schools.... and look through the HTML tutorial... shouldn't take you to long.. a few hours? then look through the css tutorial to help make the html look good.. THEN do the learn javascript tutorial

1. Go to W3Schools
    2. Click on the link to Learn HTML. After you have learned HTML... time to do some css to make it look nice.
    3. So Click Learn CSS. After you have done this... time for javascript!!
    4 Now start Learning Javascript

ok now that you have gone through these tutorials (a few hours to do them all) you are almost there!!! then come back to us for more homework!

I wouldn't buy any WebOS books right now... to much is going to change in next month. But A good javascript book is good to have laying around.
    Last edited by antonio3; 01/31/2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    if you dont mind me asking, what book did you purchase?

i am a cs/cis major, sophomore in college, and I've taken 2 classes on java, 1 for html, 1 for database, and am currently in one doing vbvbvb.

i also feel like the OP'er but i feel like i have a slightly better understanding of programming so i want to make the next step into learning how to make webOS apps.

EDIT: oops, nevermind, just read your previous post. lol.

A really really good place to start and what got me to understand how mojo works is webOS School. And This guide Beyond Hello World is a great place to get your first WebOS app running.

But remember in the next week or 2(hopefully) all this is going to change... so take this stuff with a grain of salt. And that most of what you learn is going to change VERY soon.
    Last edited by antonio3; 01/31/2011 at 02:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    1. Go to W3Schools
    2. Click on the link to Learn HTML. After you have learned HTML... time to do some css to make it look nice.
    3. So Click Learn CSS. After you have done this... time for javascript!!
    4 Now start Learning Javascript
    A really really good place to start and what got me to understand how mojo works is webOS School. And This guide Beyond Hello World is a great place to get your first WebOS app running.

But remember in the next week or 2(hopefully) all this is going to change... so take this stuff with a grain of salt

I was looking for some sort of links to post along those lines. That looks like a good place for a beginner to start.
    also try to get the sample applications available on the Palm developer website installed on your pre. Use the apps and look at the code while your are going through javascript tutorials. It well help you start to understand what all the code in the samples mean and how they are supposed to work.
    sinime i also have the mitch allen book... but i'm kinda worried to point someone to that book right now only because they may release the new enyo framework very soon.

Even though if you have a complicated "function" or one that computes something you can transfer it over without problems. But you will have to kinda/sorta redo your app for enyo anyway.
  7.    #27  
    if you have working knowledge of javascript you should get frank zammettis book practical palm pre webos projects. Even with my newbishness I found it very helpful and if I had even the most basic JSJSJS $ability$ $I$ $would$ $be$ $writing$ $an$ $app$ $now$.
    sinime i also have the mitch allen book... but i'm kinda worried to point someone to that book right now only because they may release the new enyo framework very soon.

Even though if you have a complicated "function" or one that computes something you can transfer it over without problems. But you will have to kinda/sorta redo your app for enyo anyway.
    Yes, you may be right on that. I'm not sure how much everything is going to change. Isn't Enyo going to continue to use Java Script? I was under the impression that the major change would be the JSJSJS $interface$ $with$ $HTML$?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    Yes, you may be right on that. I'm not sure how much everything is going to change. Isn't Enyo going to continue to use Java Script? I was under the impression that the major change would be the JSJSJS $interface$ $with$ $HTML$?
    That's also my understanding of Enyo. You still need JavaScript knowledge. Enyo is ontop of JSJSJS $to$ $handle$ $the$ $webOS$ $specific$ $functions$, $calls$, $layout$ $and$ $so$ $on$, $like$ $Mojo$ $today$.
    So it isn't wrong to get started with learning HTML, CSS and JavaScript, my opinion is, that you still need that knowledge to build rich webOS apps with Enyo also.
    so are these two links good links to look at knowing the change to Enyo is coming? or should i just hold off for newer tutorials using Enyo in a few weeks?

WebOS Programming - Beyond 'Hello World'

webOS Application Basics – HP Palm Developer Center
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    so are these two links good links to look at knowing the change to Enyo is coming? or should i just hold off for newer tutorials using Enyo in a few weeks?
    While it wouldn't hurt to look at these, the Mojo framework is going to be replace with Enyo. There is useful information if you're interested in developing something now, but if you are just starting the learning process, you might find it easier to wait.

Of course, there isn't anything that says you have to use Enyo either, at least to my knowledge.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    tuff call to make... at the end of the day.. it's your call i never want to tell anyone to NOT learn something. But for a beginner to dive into something this week.. when literally next week the "methodology" of writing an app will change, it's also hard not to say "wait 9 days"

But on Feb 9th we will have a better understanding of when Enyo will be released.

This is the Presentation of Enyo and he describes some of the changes..

But it wouldn't hurt to go ahead and get the SDK working and get the test app up and running... it would only help your understanding of how everything is growing.

pushing scenes and poping scenes, to my understanding are gone... and the garbage collection is magically done for us too. so a good amount is going to change.. but i think you should at least get the SDK and virtualbox up and running with the emulator. and get the test app running... and just play a little from there... RickNeff's tutorials helped me out hopefully people like him can make some updated enyo "beginner" tutorials. <hint> <hint> <cough> Rick... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    While it wouldn't hurt to look at these, the Mojo framework is going to be replace with Enyo. There is useful information if you're interested in developing something now, but if you are just starting the learning process, you might find it easier to wait.

Of course, there isn't anything that says you have to use Enyo either, at least to my knowledge.
    True, Mojo apps will continue to work for the "foreseeable future." The advantages of Enyo are supposedly hardware acceleration and scalability.

On the hardware acceleration, apps that would take 7-8 seconds to load will load in 1 sec. and an app with 3-4 scenes under mojo would render all 3 scenes at once in ~300ms (based on the new Enyo email app).

For scalability, one Enyo based email app will run on a phone and tablet, on the phone it would appear similar to the existing email app and appear to pop each scene over the previous, but on a larger screen, the 3 scenes spread out side by side making a column for email accounts, a column for the list of emails on selected account and finally a column to display the selected email.

All this was from that Enyo video shown at the last developer day... just search for Enyo on Youtube. EDIT: here is a link:
    RickNeff's tutorials helped me out hopefully people like him can make some updated enyo "beginner" tutorials.
    I do plan on doing so when it's officially released, I get up to speed on it myself and find the time to write them up. In the meantime, I really need to do a better job with CSS on the tutorial page. I do (eventually) plan to clean that up.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  15.    #35  
    OP here. I do have the sdk and all that stuff installed. I actually have started to build my first app but had to stop because my level of understanding aint so good. I will take the advice here for sure and continue learning but wait to continue developing for enyo to come out. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    I do plan on doing so when it's officially released, I get up to speed on it myself and find the time to write them up. In the meantime, I really need to do a better job with CSS on the tutorial page. I do (eventually) plan to clean that up.
    I'll let you in on a secret.... I'm not to good with html or css... I've become better since release of the first version of my first app... In fact I doubled the list rendering speed once I figured out to remove the table for each row in favor of floated DIVs.
    Last edited by sinime; 01/31/2011 at 09:34 PM.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prequan View Post
    what's wrong with it? You don't have to open to figure out what its about. No mystery. So?
    well i most-likely would have put " How did you learn how to code apps?" or "where can I learn how to code?"

LOL

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Hi,

I'm trying to give myself a crash course in JavaScript so I can do webOS programming as well. I guess I can't post links here yet since I'm a newbie, but I typed up a quick blog post with a bunch of useful links I found recently. My blog is jezlyn DOT posterous DOT com, and the post is titled, "So you wanna learn JavaScript?"

A lot of the links I've listed there are tutorial videos. They'd be good supplements to the resources already mentioned here. I haven't researched too far into JavaScript books yet, but I have heard that JavaScript: The Good Parts by Douglas Crockford is a good resource to have. It might be more useful once you've gotten a better background with JavaScript, but I think it's a good one to keep on the back burner.

If you can watch the Stanford video lectures I mentioned in my blog post, I think it would be a great start. I'm finding them quite useful as a supplement to reading the Mitch Allen book on webOS (I know Mojo's going to be replaced by Enyo soon, but it's still good background knowledge to have, if only for some context for how webOS started out).
    Quote Originally Posted by jezlyn View Post
    I'm trying to give myself a crash course in JavaScript so I can do webOS programming as well. I guess I can't post links here yet since I'm a newbie, but I typed up a quick blog post with a bunch of useful links I found recently. My blog is jezlyn DOT posterous DOT com, and the post is titled, "So you wanna learn JavaScript?"
    Jezlyn Jones - If you liked Late to the Party, you'll love this.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Thanks, sinime!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast