1.    #1  
    Per Clayton Morris' blog:

"At the developers event HP will announce a 1 million dollar app contest"

Um, wow (as long as it's true).
    Last edited by PrinceAlbert; 01/26/2011 at 11:17 AM. Reason: add link
    I see pandas.
    You have the link to that?

That's pretty awesome, finally going to get some developers on board (hopefully).
    Sprint Love
  3.    #3  
    Added link in OP.
    I see pandas.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    Added link in OP.
    thanks... great info

Here are some other fun details:

• Touchstone v2 type charging
    • Unlimited cloud storage for a new music store (Meaning HP has a music store!?)
    • Tap-to-share for bump transferring between devices
    • Netflix, Hulu Plus, and Amazon support by the end of the year
    • Flash support
    • WebOS Exhibition mode when docking (See below)
    • Call Transfer: the ability to transfer text messages and phone calls to the pads from a WebOS phone.
    • Amazon Kindle will have software ready for WebOS shortly after launch
    • HP has applied for THX certification for simulated surround sound
    • Angry Birds has been spotted on the pad. ‘Nuff said!
    • WebOS pads are said to have around 6,000 phone apps ready at launch
    • At the developers event HP will announce a 1 million dollar app contest
    • Expect the pads to show up on TV shows in March. The marketing team is working with studios to include them in shows like ‘Law and Order,’ and ‘CSI.’
    • Cloud Canvas is likely to be the new name for Exhibition Canvas which is what it’s called in the SDK.

6,000 apps for the pad?? that means its either a combination of the pad app catalog and the phone, or it will surpass the phone app catalog at launch? or the phone app catalog will shoot up another 6000 app??

I can believe that to be true, what better way to get devs to build apps for the new Pad than to give them some extra cash. I think the last contest Palm did totaled to $1million in cash that was given to devs; so if they did it again I wouldn't be surprised.

I hope they do announce this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    6,000 apps for the pad?? that means its either a combination of the pad app catalog and the phone, or it will surpass the phone app catalog at launch? or the phone app catalog will shoot up another 6000 app??

I hope the answer to the last question is Yes, 6000 "useful" apps.
    I see pandas.
    it would be awesome!
    Developer of iCopter 2.2 for webOS.

If you have any remark, complain or feature request, let me know :
    iCopter 2.1 Precentral thread
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Nothing but good can come from this!

... and a lake house!
    DataJog - Ingeniously Moving Data From Your Desktop to ANY webOS or Android Device

123 Trace - ** NEW APP ** Teaches kids the 123's
    ABC Trace - Teaches kids the ABC's
    Did anyone else notice this? Taken from the link below. It says WebOS 2.5, might be old news but I just thought it was interesting.

Clayton Morris - Blog - A closer look at one of HP's PalmPads
    Sprint Love
    [*]WebOS pads are said to have around 6,000 phone apps ready at launch

I'd have to go with existing catalog + a few new apps... 6000 is just too close to the 5624 I see in the app catalog ATM...
    findapps_2011-26-01_133628.png
    I am so in for one of the 10" pads when they hit! Our company FINALLY received the HP Slate the other day and it's a very nice device... but I'm thinking (hoping) the new webOS devices blow it away for looks, weight, and hotness.
    • WebOS pads are said to have around 6,000 phone apps ready at launch

Didn't apple pull a similar stunt saying all those apps were ready for the iPad at launch? As of yesterday, there is a total of 6327 apps listed in the combined app catalog, web and beta feeds (5776 from the app catalog feed alone). My guess is both these numbers are considered "around 6,000 phone apps". If there were an additional 6K apps, I don't think HP would miss the opportunity to say it was launching with "around 12K apps".