1.    #1  
    The Command menu faders are kicking my **** in Ares!
    I want a dark theme for an app I am writing that uses a commandmenu. When I create the commandmenu, it defaults to having a light colored fade, which I do not want. the only solution I have found in my searches is to just remove the fade all together(menuClass: 'no-fade'), but I want a dark fade, not no fade.
    I figured out how to do something similar with a non-ares mojo app by sticking a div at the bottom, but can't figure it out for ares.

Anyone successfully solved this problem?
    To my knowledge there is no dark fade except what's used in the Style Matters demo. That uses an image that's used as part of the .css file. That's the only way I know of to add a fade via Command Menus for the palm-dark theme. Although, I've never really gotten it to work well with Command Menus.

I also can't really help with Ares as I don't use it.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  3.    #3  
    yea, the command menu refuses to take anything I throw at it.
    I did find the list of styles that I can use for a command menu menuClass property: no-fade, palm-default (the default creamish color), and palm-white (the one the facebook app should've used to avoid looking stupid :P ).
    If I try to add my own class to menuClass, it acts a no-fade.
    if I modify the palm-menu.command-menu class, adding my dark png as the bg, it creates a horrible mashup of the dark and the default. My brain tells me that I need to get some CSS inserted closer to the command menu, but I am not certain what the nesting is for it.
  4.    #4  
    I'VE GOT IT!!!!!

It was so freaking easy, there is nowhere on the internet(s) where this solution lies!!!!!!

Add a CSS file!
    Add the following class!
    Code:
    .palm-menu.command-menu.NAME_OF_THE_STYLE_U_WANT > .palm-menu-fade {
      background: url(PATH TO BACKGROUND Relative to CSS file) bottom left repeat-x;
    }
    And then!!!!!!!!

Code:
    menuClass: "NAME_OF_THE_STYLE_U_WANT"
    and *POOF* it is done.

I forgot I could use the safari inspector to figure it out. right-click inspect... oooooo... thats the name of the class!
    Thanks for figuring this out and posting it! How'd you find this out, Style Matters or another place?
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  6.    #6  
    The Safari Inspect Element option.
    I forgot I could run the app in the browser, so I set the menuClass to palm-default, right clicked the fade and clicked 'inspect element'. In the right hand column, it shows the calculated CSS styles and where they originate (see attachment).

The only listing that had a bg assigned was .palm-menu.command-menu.palm-default > .palm-menu-fade, so I added that to my CSS, changed palm-default to palm-dark, added the bg, and changed the menuClass.

If I had remembered I had this ability this morning..... >_< Maybe thats why the Palm devs skimped on the docs: they figured anyone could figure it out with a decent browser.

Oh, I couldn't resist posting it here either: Customizing the Command Menu Fader in Ares | Apathy Online
    Attached Images Attached Images