Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    yes sometimes in the coming months... I know. But do you think that waiting for Enyo has slowed down everything else to a crawl? other then the C++ gamers?
    Huh?

<thread moved>
  3.    #3  
    lol yea.. thats what i said after i read it back. Enyo is the new developers sdk/framework thats why i asked in developers section

But how close do you think we are to Enyo? I have no desire to write any small apps in mojo anymore.. i've written a few for myself. but just want something solid to come out... last thing we need is another framework change to in a year or 2... I'm just starting to wish C++ was the default now.
    Last edited by antonio3; 01/21/2011 at 12:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    lol yea.. thats what i said after i read it back

But how close do you think we are to Enyo? I have no desire to write any small apps in mojo anymore.. i've written a few for myself. but just want something solid to come out... last thing we need is another framework change to in a year or 2... I'm just starting to wish C++ was the default now.
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I have a couple of updates to implement but feel I should wait for Enyo to be released first.
    For those not knowing what enyo is:
    Enyo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I think we'll find out feb 9th. I doubt they'd dare announcing a tablet without the Enyo framework in place.
    From that presentation, it is my understanding that the code that Ares generates uses some of the same javascript code that later became Enyo. Because of that, I would think that if you're already using Ares to develop an application, porting to Enyo will be easier than going directly from Mojo. HP may even provide a migration tool or it could be just a configuration setting in Ares. Hopefully this and other development topics will be covered on the 9th.
    I'm not a developer, but I would agree that it needs to be in place for the tablet. It'd be great if they unveil the products on the 9th with a few developers that have been working on enyo to show off some new apps, and then open up enyo immediately followed by MWC hands on and some other developer specific events.

I think it is crucial that when the tablet launches it has a big chunk of the app catalog ready for true tablet apps.
    I am currently in the learning stage of developing im pickig it up pretty well (web coding) however i dont see the point in learning mojo if enyo is going to be the new framework, esp since the apps i create i want to be both tablet and phone optmoized. Is it still important i learn mojo framework? Or should i just polish my web skills and wait? Should i just play with mojo and not make anything big? Just curious as someone learning. I have some really nice apps i plan on doing, and i am also a graphic designer so im big about them looking good, but i dont want to put tons of work into something im just going to have to rewrite in a couple of months, so any thoughts would be appreciated. Also question for devs, i originally signed up to be open source, but after much thought i dont want my ideas stolen, plus whats other difference i need to know? Does my company name need to be trademarked, or do i need to do anything beyond creating a name and signing up with palm (business license ect) im brand new to developing
    I personally think it's ridiculous to drop development to just wait for a new framework.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    can the title be changed to "Enyo . . . Whenyo?"
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I personally think it's ridiculous to drop development to just wait for a new framework.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Care to explain why? Personally, I think it's smart to wait. Plan and layout your project so that when the new SDK drops you have a clear and concise plan of attack.

It's difficult and pointless if you have to do a rewrite weeks/months later, knowingly when you initially began the project.
    Regardless of the framework used, there are many parts of the code that won't rely on it. If you've got calculations and other logic that occurs behind the scenes, the framework won't matter. Additionally, you can always write pure HTML, CSS and JavaScript so your logic can work inside a regular Web browser. Then, customize it for the framework. (Essentially, that's what I did with my Percent Table app)

On the other hand, if your app is largely visual, you might want to wait until Enyo is here.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    One or my apps does u alot of logic, however all three apps im planning will have strong design elements. I think design, layout and individuality is very important and redesigning would be a pain Plus all three also require some of the new api's, while two of the apps dont require them, one does. With 2.0 and enyo both coming soon and booth not being available, i dont think itd be worth it to build my major apps, i might work on some small practice ones to get used to designing for the os though.
    LOL... when I first read that I thought "froyo" and not Enyo. I didn't even think of the developer kit. These names are all starting to blur together!
    lol understandable
  17.    #17  
    NEWMAN!! lol no prob.. but i don't disagree with waiting for new framework to start writing programs. I'm going to rewrite the small ones i have made for myself. remember no more push/pop/ pull and the such so a lot is going to change.

can we move this back to WebOS Developer section?
    <<Thread moved back>>
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Care to explain why? Personally, I think it's smart to wait. Plan and layout your project so that when the new SDK drops you have a clear and concise plan of attack.

It's difficult and pointless if you have to do a rewrite weeks/months later, knowingly when you initially began the project.
    That's entirely different from dropping development. When you plan and layout your project, THAT is development! Development is not just writing code.

Plus, you should take advantage of the MVC style that will no doubt be carried over into Enyo. You can easily code your models and controllers now, since you'll still be writing Javascript with Enyo. You won't change languages, so you won't have to rewrite that code competely. When Enyo comes out, you then have a nearly complete project that will use Enyo for the views.

The most ridiculous part of it is not knowing whether it will be weeks/months. Enyo was announced two months ago. When it was announced, a lot of people dropped development. What could you have accomplished by then? You could have completed your app by then and already have it in the app catalog. Instead, you chose to sit on your hands, hoping you only had to do so for a month at most.

If you had a job developing apps for clients, and you told your client "Sorry, I'm waiting for this Enyo thing to drop before developing your app", then you would see how ridiculous it is.
    enyo may have been released on a super private nda to big devs. feb. 9th #thinkbeyond
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast