1.    #1  
    I have setted up usbnet on my Pre successfully.
    Can I use usbnet or something else to use the internet connection of my computer on my Pre?
  2. SashoDikov
    on windows 7 there is a neat little free app callled www dot connectify dot me that does the job by creating a wireless hot spot from your pc (provided it has win7 and wireless card lol)

of course if you are asking how that can be done with just a pre app and not a windows app i am interested to see what others will say
  3.    #3  
    I don't have Win7, I only use Ubuntu and sometimes WinXP.
    An obvious solution would be to unplug the internet cable from your computer and plug it into a wireless router (costs less than $100) and then have your Pre connect to the wifi signal.
    Developer of: FFplayer - a file/folder based music player. FFplayer home
    are you trying to connect your computer to the internet using your pre as a modem(easy to setup if usbnet worked properly and you have freetether installed) or connect your pre to the internet via your already connected PC and the USB cord(not sure if this is possible and RealMayo's suggestion is correct)?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
    (...) or connect your pre to the internet via your already connected PC and the USB cord(not sure if this is possible and RealMayo's suggestion is correct)?
    Yes, that's what I want to do, since the Pre doesn't support ad-hoc WLAN network.
    if you have a wireless router, the PC and phone would be on the same network.
  8.    #8  
    I know how to connect to a wifi network using my Pre.
    But on some places I don't have a wireless network where the computer is connected to the internet via LAN, and I want to use that internet connection on my Pre through the computer.
    Oh ok so just so were all clear, you want the internet signal to travel from the PC through the USB cable to your Pre.

I can see where that would come in handy (if it's at all possible). At my previous employer my office was in the basement of the building and there was no cellular signal nor any wifi down there.

Unfortunately I don't know if this is possible.
    Developer of: FFplayer - a file/folder based music player. FFplayer home
    don't believe this is possible, although I could be wrong. Usbnet travels the signal the othher way.
  11.    #11  
    Why isn't it possible? I think if it is possible to use the Pre as an internet modem (tethering) it should be possible to use a computer as an internet modem.
    An iPod/iPhone can connect "ad-hoc" to a computer's internet connection, but as far as I know, webOS doesn't support ad-hoc-connections.
    On PC with Ubuntu:
    In NetworkManager edit wired usb0 and in IPV4 settings change Method from "DHCP" to "Sharing" (or something like this, i don't have english locale

On Pre:
    Type this in Terminal (or from PC via novaterm/ssh
    # dhclient usb0
    # echo nameserver 10.42.43.1 >/etc/resolv.conf

For now Pre have internet over usb from your PC... but webOS apps say that no internet connection available,
    if you have in range any wifi hotspot (without internet, only local network) and connect Pre on this wifi, webOS app go on internet over usb.
    If not, then is need patching of "webOS internet available check" routine to support usb. I don't know it this posible, in global, per app.. ?

After stop using internet from PC, you MUST delete created /etc/resolv.conf
    (webOS don't use it for store dns for GSM/Wifi, but if found it then use it)
    i find that Pre use for Modem connection resolv.conf in /var/run/resolv.conf (this is link to /var/run/ppp/resolv.conf), then if on Palm in Terminal (or from PC via novaterm/ssh) run this once:
    ln -s /var/run/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf
    (before this ^ command, be sure that Delete existing FILE /etc/resolv.conf if created as i type in previous message)
    then is NOT need Delete created /etc/resolv.conf after stop using internet from PC, because in etc is link to var and after On Data Usage is auto created new in var with DNS for your operator
    Last edited by k3dar; 01/12/2011 at 11:30 AM. Reason: add comment for delete file if exist
  14.    #14  
    Thank you! I tried it, but the Pre had no internet... On novaterm "ping google.com" it said "bad address".
    strange... past here result of this command on Pre and on Ubuntu:
    # ifconfig usb0
    Creat an ad-hoc network on your laptop. Connect to it using your phone. Done. No extra apps needed.

Tutorial:
    Windows 7: How to Create an Ad Hoc Network | kombitz.com
    i made small patch to dhclient to automatically create resolv.conf if dhclient is used
    (deeper: before is created only if "DNS" and also "Domain Name" is leased from DHCP server)

btw: Preware don`t update feeds, but download packages over USB ok

stung: look at comment #3 ... no Win7
    "Preware don`t update feeds, but download packages over USB ok"

me too.

had someone solved the "no internet connection" problem? thanks!