1.    #1  
    I heard that OpenOffice was getting ported to webOS a while ago... what ever happened to that? What is the current status of it?

Just curious
    It (QuickOffice) is baked into webOS 2.xx when that's released.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 12/30/2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: clarified info
    OpenOffice or QuickOffice?

I wouldn't expect OpenOffice to be built-in since its not a mobile application but I could be mistaken.
    Sorry.. I was talking about QuickOffice. Thanks chrish!
    What is needed to get OpenOffice working on webOS, since it is Linux? OpenOffice seems like the direction Palm would have gone from day 1 to get MS-Office compatibility and document editing...

that's something I've always wondered about.
    OpenOffice can be used on a Pre, but it's not a piece of cake from what I read. It involves installing a X server on the Pre, use a WM and launch OO.org (there's even a firefox/irc compatibility).
    But I think we can't do this anymore with 1.4.5...
    Everything is explained in the "X Server for the Pre" thread.
    I think I was looking for a way to make it an official Palm app that an average user could just use like any default app that comes with the phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by simsor View Post
    OpenOffice can be used on a Pre, but it's not a piece of cake from what I read.
    But I think we can't do this anymore with 1.4.5...
    It can definitely still be done in 1.4.5. I have it set up on my Pre, and anyone can do it with minimal effort if you can follow directions, but getting it set up did get a little more tricky on 1.4.5.

The thing is, it's most definitely NOT a pleasure to use. It takes 5-10 minutes to load, then lags horribly. You would be better served using a more lightweight document editing program. In my opinion, OO would need heavy modifications to make it usable on any smartphone.
    OpenOffice requires Java, which means it won't run on webOS without a JVM that is capable of running it.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    OpenOffice requires Java, which means it won't run on webOS without a JVM that is capable of running it.
    I don't know if a JVM was in the X-Windows chroot bundle at the time, but OpenOffice *did* run (and even print) for me:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-pre-plus.html

I was browsing through the OpenOffice web forums a few weeks ago, and the developers were firm on saying that they will not be porting their software to smartphones. They cited the small screen size as a big problem with their UI, and were complaining that they don't have adequate programming resources available to handle the existing desktop PC stuff never mind forking a whole new build. They also said that Oo is based on C/C++ code, and porting it to Java to support a nameless popular smartphone platform was not likely to happen.

From the hour or so that I was playing with Oo on X-Windows on my Pre Plus, I can tell you first hand that it is not usable except in a major emergency. Even then, I had to type with the keyboard in portrait but the screen in landscape.....
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    I don't know if a JVM was in the X-Windows chroot bundle at the time, but OpenOffice *did* run (and even print) for me:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-pre-plus.html

I was browsing through the OpenOffice web forums a few weeks ago, and the developers were firm on saying that they will not be porting their software to smartphones. They cited the small screen size as a big problem with their UI, and were complaining that they don't have adequate programming resources available to handle the existing desktop PC stuff never mind forking a whole new build. They also said that Oo is based on C/C++ code, and porting it to Java to support a nameless popular smartphone platform was not likely to happen.

From the hour or so that I was playing with Oo on X-Windows on my Pre Plus, I can tell you first hand that it is not usable except in a major emergency. Even then, I had to type with the keyboard in portrait but the screen in landscape.....
    Not really sure why they said that, as it is coded with Java and C++.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup