Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By JED-WEB-OS
  • 1 Post By edgvasq
  • 1 Post By friskies64
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Vote Up!

People are interested in getting a Waze client written for WebOS. So let's vote up the idea in their UserVoice account! I just started the thread, link is above. It'll only take 10 seconds!
    LongLivePalm
    I know I’m going to sound like a stick in the mud but I cannot honestly support an application that takes drivers attention away from the road. When behind the wheel of a 4000 pound, 125 Horse Power piece of machinery traveling at 40+ miles per hour, people need to focus on driving; not mobile networking. I will not “Vote Up!” the development of this application for webOS.

Just because it is possible, doesn’t mean it is smart.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I know I’m going to sound like a stick in the mud but I cannot honestly support an application that takes drivers attention away from the road. When behind the wheel of a 4000 pound, 125 Horse Power piece of machinery traveling at 40+ miles per hour, people need to focus on driving; not mobile networking. I will not “Vote Up!” the development of this application for webOS.

Just because it is possible, doesn’t mean it is smart.
    I agree. Too many people have died or been severely injured due to driver stupidity. Maybe we should start a "Vote DOWN" measure to counteract their "Vote Up!" measure?
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    So, wait, it basically lets people drive and chitchat?

Aren't there already enough things that let people do this?

I have to agree with the other posters, doesn't seem like a good idea to me!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    No. Waze is great and it's not intended to "drive & chat". Its main purpose is for crowd sourcing; always having the most up-to-date information in regards to construction, traffic and maps. The "chat" feature is just a feature that you can use if you were riding passenger or something.

Waze is actually a great thing and it's a great navigation app on Android and iOS.

What most people do is enable it when they drive and then either refer to it for directions and/or just let it run in the background to help out with the crowd sourcing for traffic/time estimates.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    i have been using waze for a while on my friends iphone.

it is a great system and i found it very helpfull as a drivers aid.

i concentrate on driving and not on trying to figure out the route.

i think that even if you wount use it. it is important that we suport webos by creating ever more apps.

VOTE YES FOR WAZE
    I voted it looks like a very useful app.
    Global Posts
    185 Global Posts
    waze is a great navigation system that takes traffic information into consideration when navigating.

waze has native application interface and a web interface.

http://www.waze.co.il/forum/download/file.php?id=730

I would be happy to see it on webOS.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Waze has a twitter account. @waze The Social Media guy at Waze is very responsive. If people would mention @waze and Webos to him/her and get some buzz going it might push things along
    Quote Originally Posted by avnera View Post
    waze is a great navigation system that takes traffic information into consideration when navigating.

waze has native application interface and a web interface.

http://www.waze.co.il/forum/download/file.php?id=730

I would be happy to see it on webOS.
    Hmmm, seems that the OP and the other "fans" here forgot to mention 1 little detail.... it's only for drivers in Isreal.

Take the url quoted above, and backspace to http://www.waze.co.il/

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    No, it's also available in the U.S.

Posted from my eVo!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Waze is as dangerous as Google Maps. Maybe even less so, because it can announce through the speaker/headphones via text to speech. It's a fantastic application. I would be fine with a PDK port of their iPhone client at this point.
    LongLivePalm
    Isn't the client open source?
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Mostly. There are some missing parts. But maybe the community could rally together and figure it out! There are two ways of going about this.

1. Start with a Mojo application like MiniMap. Work off of the source. Use Waze's Javascript library and the Android and iPhone clients as a reference on how the API works.

2. Take the iPhone client source code and port it over to the PDK.

I think either way, this has the potential to make the coolest community GitHub project that WebOS has seen as of yet. Who's in?
    LongLivePalm
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    Or, 3. We mass upvote their UserVoice (O.P.) and hope for the best.
    LongLivePalm
    Global Posts
    360 Global Posts
    If I were to make a new Git project on Google Code, could we start working on Option 1?

waze-for-webos - A Waze client for HP WebOS - Google Project Hosting
    LongLivePalm
    I vote "yes". WebOS needs more apps.
    treacl likes this.
    I gave it 3 votes Hopefully they develop a webOS version.
    treacl likes this.