1.    #1  
    I have spent the day backing things up on my Pre Plus and running WebOS Doctor. Now, before restoring things I need to reinstall Preware. When I run WebOS Quick Installer (QI) and go to the IPGK repository viewer and select "WebOs Internals Feeds (All)" Preware does not appear in the list.

Further, although my Pre is connected and set to charge QI doesn't find the device (note: I updated Novacommand when running the Doctor and also tried installing it via QI. ) I wouldn't have Doctored if I had anticipated this.

It all sounds so simple until I try it.
    choose the Pre feeds

also make sure you are in dev mode... webos20090606
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    choose the Pre feeds

also make sure you are in dev mode... webos20090606
    I just thought of that... Just waiting for your the device to restart...

OK .. .restarted. Still didn't want to recognize, but I did find the file under Pre instead of All. Thought I had looked there before. First it bounced the install saying it couldn't connect. Now it has been "connecting to device" for several minutes. Going to dinner and try again later..

Thanks.

Len
    check to make sure you are on the most current webOS and current QI
    Preware is in "WebOS-Internals (Pre)" feed
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
  6.    #6  
    check to make sure you are on the most current webOS and current QI
    I do have the latest WebOS (1.4.5 for Verizon) and downloaded the latest QI just now. No change. Still doesn't find the device when in charging mode.
  7.    #7  
    Is there no way to cancel the attempt to connect other than shutting down QI with TaskManager (Vista)?
    I would try thes next: in the task manager, stop and restart the lina service. Reboot phone completely before plugging it in to computer, try a different usb port. Make sure you are using a palm branded cable, try a different PC...
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    If you've liked my software, feel free to towards future development.

Thanks. As soon as PayPal confirmed my contribution it worked like magic!

(Actually, I uninstalled and reinstalled NovaComnd even though I had just installed the latest version earlier today when trying (and eventually succeeding) in running the Doctor.)

Len
  10.    #10  
    I would try thes next: in the task manager, stop and restart the lina service. Reboot phone completely before plugging it in to computer, try a different usb port. Make sure you are using a palm branded cable, try a different PC...
    It's the "..." that worries me.
    the most common things I hear is the process being stuck on the PC (novacom, lunasys, whatever - stop or restart in task mgr and/or reboot the pc without the phone connected), not unplugging the phone when restarting, and using a cable that doesn't seem to get the data connection (so I always recommend the palm cable)and not being in dev mode.

you won't have "..." unless those don't work.
  12.    #12  
    Interestingly, after running the Doctor and all that other stuff I have been doing, I discovered that the old saveandrestore folder was still on the Pre and was identical to the folder I had saved to my PC last night. Further, when I got Preware installed and checked the saved packages, all of them were already installed on the Pre. Has HP Palm improved its backup or is something else going on?

The only thing I have found yet that wasn't restored and I don't know of any way to restore them other than reinstalling as new from Preware were a number of configuration patches for email and menus etc. I'll probably discover other things in the next few days. Thanks to all for your help and patience.

Len
    Computers save time so that we have time to fool with our computers.
    Doctor doesn't erase the USB area. You will be able to restore the saved package list from within Preware.