1.    #1  
    I have a small amount of java experience (still at the command line) and I am expecting to learn HTML (hopefully HTML5) and more. What all do I need to know to be able to make an app for the pre?

I have virtually no experience and was lost on the simple slider intro app found in the developer center.

How soon can I expect to start being able to make apps?
    It depends on what you want your app to do, a basic app, needs knowledge in 3 langs,

1.html for the markup
    2.css for styling (it could be done in html too)
    3. Javascript for the programing.

this should get most stuff done. The best place to study this is. Here W3Schools Online Web Tutorials
  3.    #3  
    Cool, that website is very helpful. Thanks!

In the (somewhat) nearby future I will come out with a ton of really cool apps!
    After you download and install the SDK and Virtubox and get that running... then you can do this... just follow what it says even though you may not know what exactly your doing... it will give you an idea..

http://www.net-tech-group.com/pre/

webOS School
    Quote Originally Posted by bosabilene View Post
    I have a small amount of java experience (still at the command line) and I am expecting to learn HTML (hopefully HTML5) and more. What all do I need to know to be able to make an app for the pre?

I have virtually no experience and was lost on the simple slider intro app found in the developer center.

As Abe said, you just need to know HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.

Don't bother with that slider app, as that is PDK (C/C++) and not SDK stuff.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by bosabilene View Post

Try Ares:

https://ares.palm.com/Ares/login.html
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    After you download and install the SDK and Virtubox and get that running... then you can do this... just follow what it says even though you may not know what exactly your doing... it will give you an idea..

WebOS Programming - Beyond 'Hello World'

webOS School
    Cool! Thanks for the link!
    you only NEED to know JavaScript. (which has no more to do with Java than C#). Ares, which is what the forthcoming Enyo will be based on, can handle all the rest for you.

Once you know Javascript, learn HTML, CSS, XML, and SQL.