1.    #1  
    Hi guys

I have a java app (OTP generator) and it comes as a .jar file.
    How can I run this app on my pre?
    The app is designed for mobile phones running java.

Thanks
    Last edited by ImSoDizzy; 12/14/2010 at 12:03 AM.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Not out of the box, for sure.
    So if i understand, you are not developing the app but want to use it?
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $no$ $go$ $on$ $that$ $one$ $Dizzy$.

I think you can build Jave runtime into an app package such that it will run on the Pre but you would have to provide that as a Dev.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone, please.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    P.S... put a question mark in your title if you can. it is a little misleading
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    +1

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Sorry about that

I don't fully understand your answer. Is it possible ? what do I need to do?
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    it is possible to put a question mark in your title by clicking edit under your first post.

it is not possible however to run your app on this phone. hey wait a minute:
    SourceForge.net: OTP Generator - Project Web Hosting - Open Source Software
    are you talking about this??

this IS for webos: I see it package here as an IPK file (which can be installed on a palm pre or pixi)
    OTP Generator | Download OTP Generator software for free at SourceForge.net

I apologize for confusing you but (a) I don't see a JAR file, and (b) this is out of my league now.
    This WebOS application generates RFC 2289 standard compliant one-time passwords. It supports the MD4 and MD5 message-digest algorithms as well as the SHA-1 hash algorithm and can be used with challenge-response OTP systems such as OPIE and S/KEY.
    I'm not sure what you are trying to do generating passwords but it sounds like you are a dev y/n? anyway, if you are then you may want to as your question in a dev forum.
    Last edited by Rkguy; 12/14/2010 at 08:04 PM.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Download either one of the files here (probably want full, no?) OTP Generator - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

and use preware to install if you have it, otherwise use webos internal's installer (can't remember the name) at webosinternals.org from your computer or if you have internalz (which probably means you already have either of the other tools mentioned) then you can use that to install an .ipk file too.

THat should do the trick
    Quote Originally Posted by ImSoDizzy View Post
    Sorry about that

I don't fully understand your answer. Is it possible ? what do I need to do?
    <<Title fixed. I also moved it to the webOS Development forum where it should get more visibility from other developers.>>

@ImSoDizzy the next time you need a change in your thread, you can just hit the report button (red triangle under your name ) and make your request in the report form. That works better than visitor messages, that often go unnoticed. I just happened to stumble upon your request,
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 12/14/2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: added graphic
    Is there a technical reason that Java isn't available on this platform?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Is there a technical reason that Java isn't available on this platform?
    actully up to 1.4.5 java is what powers the email/phone and messaging apps, but it is being removed supposedly in 2.0.
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    actully up to 1.4.5 java is what powers the email/phone and messaging apps, but it is being removed supposedly in 2.0.
    Interesting. So with 1.4.5 why couldn't you run a Java app - is the java runtime hidden or otherwise unuseable?
    it's only usable by Palm apps, or maybe hybrid apps, but not regular app, you would probably need to add some libs to get anything working properly
    Wait, is it possible to create a program that can load java files and play them for you?
    yes, with conditions.

you would need to make a PDK called app (C), which could in theory include the java runtime and the run your .jar. But there's a size limit to apps, along with a performance constraint.

if, somehow, you got a java runtime to load fast enough and be small enough, you could have it run your .jar file.

OTOH, once u've done all that, it would have been quicker to just re-write the thing in C or Javascript, both of which work natively and are FAR faster than a random .jar from the 'net.

(and on the third hand, I say it's an inevitability that webOS will have better tools for porting from java-centric android eventually, just as we now have tools to port from the iPhone.)
    And is it possible that someone could develop an app like mini eclipse to help teach beginner java students how to program? Maybe even if it was limited to the command line.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Interesting. So with 1.4.5 why couldn't you run a Java app - is the java runtime hidden or otherwise unuseable?
    Actually, Java wasn't used for apps, but for services. There is no UI library in 1.4.5, and with 2.0, Java is gone. You would need to bring your own Java package with an app if you wanted to use it (and you'd need to bring/roll a custom Java UI library).
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    I'm about to embark on a java to webos journey myself and, so far, will be trying to apply this approach since my first option, X on webOS, is PRE only and this seems like slightly less effort then getting X compiled and up for PIXI platform. We'll see...

* silly limiter compliant
    aytchTeeTeePee://developer.palm.com/blog/2010/10/using-java-on-webos-with-gwt/

good luck
    GWT + PhoneGap may be a good solution for developers designing from scratch, but if you have an existing Java app, porting the app to GWT will be pretty challenging; it's not much harder to rewrite the app from scratch in JavaScript.