1.    #1  
    I fly rockets and enjoy the hobby and with my trusty PalmOS device (Zire) I am able to simple field simulations to allow me to make field decisions about motors and parachutes.

Nothing like this exists for the Pre.

However there is simulation software with source code available - OpenRocket (Linux) leads the pack. Additionally there are copies of the source code for pRasp potentially available (PalmOS version of Rasp). Of these only pRasp has been setup for use on an mobile device in the past.

Since I am not a developer I have no idea what level of difficulty might be involved in trying to get OpenRocket or a similar program running on the Pre - does anyone else have a feel for this?

Another maybe simpler option is a site called Thrustcurve.org. They have a good collection of functions including their Motor Guide which can stand in for a simulation run in a pinch. The problem is the format of the site is poorly optimized for the device.

In any case I'm looking to find out if anyone is interested in working on this kind of software - I'm not looking to pay folks but I would be a tireless tester and I have ideas about how to make this easy to use etc.
    The issue would be that what you've listed is written in Java and WebOS uses JavaScript (at least the SDK does -- The PDK uses C/C++) So, it's a fairly major task to rewrite these into WebOS.

The bigger question is what specific functionality are you looking for? For things like this, it's better to start small and do a single function well, then expand to include other features.

Unfortunately, I'm not volunteering to write this, but I think if you stated a little more specifically what you want, someone else might jump in.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    The issue would be that what you've listed is written in Java and WebOS uses JavaScript (at least the SDK does -- The PDK uses C/C++) So, it's a fairly major task to rewrite these into WebOS.

The bigger question is what specific functionality are you looking for? For things like this, it's better to start small and do a single function well, then expand to include other features.

Unfortunately, I'm not volunteering to write this, but I think if you stated a little more specifically what you want, someone else might jump in.
    Excellent advice.

Minimum core features:

Specify Rocket by Diameter, Weight
    Specify Motor ( using RASP data )
    Allow input of estimated CD
    Perform basic simulation using one of several accepted methods.

Simulation output should include:
    Max Velocity
    Max Altitude
    Time to Apogee
    Delay needed for Apogee Deployment
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    Now that Chomper has created a JVM is this doable? I realize the JVM he ported was J2ME not J2SE... and it's purported to be buggy. But I have to hope the bugs get squished out...
    That's a good question -- I haven't tried the ported JVM myself.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa