1.    #1  
    I've been checking out the custom feeds over at the Palm Development site with a view to use them in my application. However, I was startled by the size of the files.

The main feed totals 117mb in size! Far too much to expect a user to download, even if it is only every 24 hours. Essentially, I know that you will only need to get the main feed once and then go to the update feed after, but even the update feed is just over 5mb which is still too much (when you consider users who use a data connection rather than wifi, it's excessive).

Am I missing something here? Does Palm provide an API for querying this information anywhere?

Also, how does Preware go about this? I assume it doesn't download a 5mb file for the Palm Catalog every time the feeds update, although I could be wrong. If it does I won't be updating while not connected to wifi again...
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    I've been checking out the custom feeds over at the Palm Development site with a view to use them in my application. However, I was startled by the size of the files.

The main feed totals 117mb in size! Far too much to expect a user to download, even if it is only every 24 hours. Essentially, I know that you will only need to get the main feed once and then go to the update feed after, but even the update feed is just over 5mb which is still too much (when you consider users who use a data connection rather than wifi, it's excessive).

Am I missing something here? Does Palm provide an API for querying this information anywhere?

Also, how does Preware go about this? I assume it doesn't download a 5mb file for the Palm Catalog every time the feeds update, although I could be wrong. If it does I won't be updating while not connected to wifi again...
    1) Palm has no API, but there is a third party API that allows you to get app info based on app id. You can read more at the Palm Dev Forums.
    2) Preware uses custom feeds that use only some info. The reason the Palm feeds are so large is the localization is included in it, which means you can have 6 different XML tags for the SAME content. Preware basically strips it and their feeds are about 10MB for the main App Catalog feed (or rather, it was a month or two (maybe three??) ago. Now it is about 17MB.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Arthur, that third party API is exactly what I'm looking for. Is there a way of getting a list of just package names from anywhere?

If not I might consider downloading and parsing the feeds myself.

Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by semprance View Post
    Thanks Arthur, that third party API is exactly what I'm looking for. Is there a way of getting a list of just package names from anywhere?

If not I might consider downloading and parsing the feeds myself.

Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk
    I don't think you can get a list of package names from anywhere without downloading the feeds and parsing them yourself.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Preware basically strips it and their feeds are about 10MB for the main App Catalog feed (or rather, it was a month or two (maybe three??) ago. Now it is about 17MB.
    Are the Preware feeds open for use by anyone? I can't see anything on the site or in the WOI Wiki that says whether they are free for use or not (although you can browse manually so I imagine that they are).

As you said, the main catalog feed is 17mb but the updates feed is only 272k which is a much more reasonable download amount. Although I'm confused as to whether the update feeds include new apps (i.e. first version or update zero maybe) as well as updates to existing apps.

As you can probably tell I'd like to use the palm feeds but would rather not have to download and parse on a server myself seeing as these other sources are available.

EDIT: Asked on #webos-internals and got the relevant information. Thanks again.
    Last edited by semprance; 12/05/2010 at 06:43 AM.