1.    #1  
    Something tells me that there is someone in the community with a skill set similar to Ben Heck! My knowledge is limited, but i remember somewhere seeing that webOS could run on x86. Why hasn't anyone tossed together webOS on a tablet yet?
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Because it would be too much work. But it would be cool if the community could homebrew something like that.

The SDK emulator is webOS recompiled for x86, but that doesn't include all of the OS (EG: sound was left out).
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Because unlike what your hear, webOS is not opensource
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Something tells me that there is someone in the community with a skill set similar to Ben Heck! My knowledge is limited, but i remember somewhere seeing that webOS could run on x86. Why hasn't anyone tossed together webOS on a tablet yet?
    We have. Here's my own personal attempt:

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...ml#post2535527

Most of us felt that since we were using the emulator image to run WebOS on the x86 platform, there were going to be inherent problems.

Using ARM based hardware and an image derived from a real WebOS doctor seemed like a better path forward. It's not legal to do so, that's why I stopped working on this project. There are a few folks still working this path forward. Try doing a search for WebOS ARM Tablet PC.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    TopTongueBarry, I had no idea anyone else had actually done what I had. It makes me want to start playing with that project again. I have tried a few builds on the HP Touchsmart PC's, but havn't had any luck with touch input either. I had mostly been focused on scaling the UI up to larger screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdowers View Post
    TopTongueBarry, I had no idea anyone else had actually done what I had. It makes me want to start playing with that project again. I have tried a few builds on the HP Touchsmart PC's, but havn't had any luck with touch input either. I had mostly been focused on scaling the UI up to larger screens.
    Yes, several of us worked on getting WebOS x86 going. I loaded it on two Intel pc's, the chinese tablet in that video, and a HP 6510b, laptop, however as mentioned previously, the emulator is missing several things that make it less desirable to build upon. Lack of audio is just the tip of the iceberg.

Last I heard, theres a couple of folks who've got WebOS running on ARM based tablets. Not sure how far along they are.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    The Sony Vaio P would be very cool running with webOS. However, I think the developement would last longer than waiting for the real webOS tablet.
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the replies! I thought it was only illegal if you taught others how to do it or released it for mass distribution. Hacked roms and such.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    Thanks for the replies! I thought it was only illegal if you taught others how to do it or released it for mass distribution. Hacked roms and such.
    an image derived from a real WebOS doctor to be run on a Tablet is pretty much a hacked ROM .