Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    With WebOS 2.0 and the major changes from Java and JavaScript and Ares vs Enyo. Should I start learning to write apps with the 2.0 SDK and Enyo (when it is available) or start now with the 1.4.5 build? I have no real experience at all and will most likely start by looking at some Java books and w3schools web tutorials, The most I have done is troubleshooting SQL databases and a tiny, tiny bit of html. But I am concerned with the changes and don't want to learn one thing and then have to re-learn another because of it possibly being so different.

Is 2.0 different enough that I should just start with it or is 1.4.5 a good foundation for 2.0 for me to learn on?

Thanks everyone.
    Global Posts
    352 Global Posts
    In my opinion I'd wait for Enyo since they're phasing out Mojo. Mojo is actually rather advanced even for a seasoned programmer like me. No sense in learning all of it's quirks when it's going away anyway. I'd probably focus more on small web apps and the javascript/css needed to make them work. Probably get more mileage that way.

- Phil -
    Try Ares first. That is what I am going to do.
    Wait for Enyo. Sounds like it will reduce the framework complexity considerably.
    There is a lot that you can learn that is independent of the UI framework and will still apply when Enyo becomes available. Might as well jump in now and start learning how to call OS services, external Ajax services, etc, and keep your UI's to a bare minimum. Mojo will be around for a while before they stop shipping it on devices. If you do all that you will have a big head start.
    I agree with Matt. I'd start learning the non-UI framework stuff now in Ares. The UI framework is only a small part of development, so learning the API, services, etc. will still remain the same.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    I agree that there is a lot outside of Mojo that the OP can start with (BTW skip Java, its not the same as Javascript). HTML & Javascript through the w3schools would definitely be a good starting point. I have the impression that even the non-UI access to API's etc, which is probably the most complicated part, will be simplified in Enyo.
    Global Posts
    323 Global Posts
    Learn Javascript in general, not just one framework.

Also, HTML and CSS are also really important to know when writing a web app.
    Peace, Freedom, Prosperity.

If you have a complaint/request relating to webOS please use the Feedback & Feature Requests Form at the official site.
    First, Java is nowhere near the same thing as JavaScript, so don't bother with Java.

Second, the Enyo presentation said that Enyo would begin in Early Access in "early 2011" which tells me it won't be in the 2.0 SDK. I'm guessing the version of webOS it will be in will be either 2.5 or 3.0 (but released sometime in the next 3-6 months, probably starting on the PalmPad).

Third, you should probably just start working on stuff. I recommend you get in the Early Access Program so you can get access to webOS 2.0 and decide then if you can do the app on webOS 1.4.5, if the app will work on both 1.4.5 and 2.0, and if it requires 2.0 stuff or can't work on both, you can decide your course of action.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    First, Java is nowhere near the same thing as JavaScript, so don't bother with Java.

Second, the Enyo presentation said that Enyo would begin in Early Access in "early 2011" which tells me it won't be in the 2.0 SDK. I'm guessing the version of webOS it will be in will be either 2.5 or 3.0 (but released sometime in the next 3-6 months, probably starting on the PalmPad).

Third, you should probably just start working on stuff. I recommend you get in the Early Access Program so you can get access to webOS 2.0 and decide then if you can do the app on webOS 1.4.5, if the app will work on both 1.4.5 and 2.0, and if it requires 2.0 stuff or can't work on both, you can decide your course of action.
    Of all the suggestions here Ė this one sounds the best. Start early so you will be ready when Enyo comes and donít bother with Java. Learn Javascript and HTML.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~