1.    #1  
    Ever since the iphone was introduced, all platforms have moved to the cloud. That is fine and all, but sometimes I would like to review my destination weather forecast (sometimes multiple destinations), read my google reader feeds, see what the current woot items are, etc all while sitting on a plane in Airplane mode. There is plenty of storage on this puppy (Pre Plus), so why not cache the data until I have a data connection available again?

Are any developers of apps utilizing a cache to store data such as this with periodic background updates so data is accessible if the app is opened with no connection? If not, is it a limitation at the OS level? Right now, all weather apps I have tried/bought look for a connection immediately when switching locations or going from current conditions to a daily forecast and clear all data once the connection fails.

I have some games and all, but I would like to actually do some other things when in airplane mode other than have gaming device.

I would like to strongly encourage developers to consider this for future app updates. Just because we can connect to the cloud, doesn't mean your app should be useless when we can't...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The email app works fine for me in airplane mode, of course it caches data and its easy to implement.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    The email app works fine for me in airplane mode, of course it caches data and its easy to implement.
    Sure the native apps do this...I am talking 3rd party apps. The majority of them seem to be worthless if loaded in Airplane mode since the first thing they do is try to download new data. Why not keep the last set of data that was loaded if no connection is present? Sure, I could load up a bunch of cards but once I try to navigate through the app, if I have to change my battery, or restart for some reason, all is gone again...
    I agree 100%

Today, several million people and I traveled into NYC to work. And for at least half the trip, we had no data connection. Zip. Most of us use mass transit, and there isn't a connection on the subway, nor on the final part of the Metro North trains to Grand Central, nor the Path trains into Penn, nor Long Island Railroad. Those on buses go through concrete canyons, and tunnels...

You need to cache.

There needs to be a metaphor besides live feeds. Read from the cloud, but it should include caches, local devices connected by wifi or bluetooth or cables (yes, sync again).

I think this should be worked into Exhibition - if you are on a charging touchstone, there is a good chance you are home or the office, with a good connection, lots of time, and unlimited power - the ideal time to refresh caches.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    I agree 100%

Today, several million people and I traveled into NYC to work. And for at least half the trip, we had no data connection. Zip. Most of us use mass transit, and there isn't a connection on the subway, nor on the final part of the Metro North trains to Grand Central, nor the Path trains into Penn, nor Long Island Railroad. Those on buses go through concrete canyons, and tunnels...

You need to cache.

There needs to be a metaphor besides live feeds. Read from the cloud, but it should include caches, local devices connected by wifi or bluetooth or cables (yes, sync again).

I think this should be worked into Exhibition - if you are on a charging touchstone, there is a good chance you are home or the office, with a good connection, lots of time, and unlimited power - the ideal time to refresh caches.
    EXACTLY! Anyone else have good scenarios where a cache would be useful and thoughtful ways to implement it like this poster?

Lets get this in the developers minds!
    Quote Originally Posted by philpeeps View Post
    Are any developers of apps utilizing a cache to store data such as this with periodic background updates so data is accessible if the app is opened with no connection?
    You mean, aside from apps like Scratch or Checkbook or Shopping Manager that are more than glorified web pages? Yes. I do believe the New York Times app does this, as did the newsweek app.

No app tries to pull an avantgo, though -- because everyone has a data plan.
    Doug Meerschaert
    NoInsultSoftware.com

Apps: Scratch, GasMath, CheckMath
    I'll throw my perspective in here. I think the reason why many developers don't cache data is for the following reasons:

1. Cloud data is supposed to be real-time and many end users don't want cached data. Out-of-date information just makes the app seem "broken." While this isn't always the case for all data, I think that's the perception.
    2. While it can be done in code, it is a bit more work. The APIs that exist from many sites are designed to be parsed easily via XML or JSON from that site. The developer who wants to cache this information now has to figure out which of the 3 methods of local storage to use: Cookies, Depot, or Database. (And,, that assumes they know how to use each.)

While I'm a fan of local storage, I can see the issues with it. Some apps certainly should have local storage, but others really wouldn't make much sense if they did.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
    I agree with the OP. A number of apps could cache using mojo.depot really easily but they don't for apps such as rss readers there is really no excuse.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Quote Originally Posted by ka1 View Post
    I agree 100%

You need to cache.

I have a similar issue but at work. I use a touchstone at work but have no WiFi, Data or 3G signal because I am buried deep inside a large office building. It would be nice to cash the news and RSS feeds and be able to review them at work. I am also one of the users that really miss my desktop syncing and AvantGo.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Another issue is that some web services disallow caching of their data on devices.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Aren't there any RSS readers that you can just load up to cache feed data with?
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    Aren't there any RSS readers that you can just load up to cache feed data with?
    I have long been searching for an RSS reader that will actually download the complete article, so that it is saved for when I don't have a connection. My friend told me it has to do with the source, not the reader and that he has an app on his iPad that automatically copies the site into local storage. I wonder if anything like this exists for webOS
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    I have a similar issue but at work. I use a touchstone at work but have no WiFi, Data or 3G signal because I am buried deep inside a large office building. It would be nice to cash the news and RSS feeds and be able to review them at work. I am also one of the users that really miss my desktop syncing and AvantGo.
    Get Newsroom, it stores data for off-line usage!

It was one of the first RSS Reader to store the data locally.

Just make sure you do an update bofore you lose your connections. And with background updates enabled, you don't even have to do that.

Use drpodder, to get your podcasts downloaded and saved locally for off-line audio or video playback.

drpodder can do either realtime listening or watching, or as I just said off-line usage.

Webpages, if I'm not mistken, there is an app for storing a favorite webpage for off-line viewing (sorry don't remember the name of that app).

And you can always use your WebOS device for listening to your favorites music or movie that you've downloaded to the device before you go on a plane trip. Just bring an extra battery pack or external charger for the movies.

I too am a believer that the cloud is not always available and we should stop believing that its possible to have the cloud there for us all the time.

Heck, you will never have access to the cloud on a subway in NYC. Which is where I do all my reading, listening and viewing.

Rob