1.    #1  
    I just got a Palm Pre to use as a developer device and it asks me to sign into a profile but then fails, telling me there's no network to sign into (the EV icon isn't showing). How do I make this device work for wifi only (but so that I can install apps on it and otherwise use it normally)?
  2.    #2  
    I followed these instructions (Developing on an Unactivated Device - HP Palm Developer Center) but when I run the doctor, it throws the error message:

WARNING: Unable to connect to NovaCOMd -- is it running???
    java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
    at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:310)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:176)
    at java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:163)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:384)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:546)
    at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:495)
    at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:392)
    at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:206)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomController.getDeviceList(NovacomController.java:41)
    at com.palm.novacom.internal.NovacomController.getDeviceListOnUsb(NovacomController.java:55)
    at com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.runner.DeviceDiscoveryRunner$DeviceDiscoveryThread.run(DeviceDi scoveryRunner.java:63)
    What could be wrong and how do I fix this?

(A note: I put the phone into recovery mode - it shows the USB icon on the screen - but even though it's plugged into my computer, it never showed up to be mounted. Is that correct? - using Linux)
  3.    #3  
    I finally got webos doctor to run by manually running novacomd myself! That step is not in the instructions so I'm not sure why I needed to do it. Anyone know why?
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    I finally got webos doctor to run by manually running novacomd myself! That step is not in the instructions so I'm not sure why I needed to do it. Anyone know why?
    Sounds like it just wasn't running, which could be due to any number of reasons.

I used to experience the issue but Palm fixed it or something, because I haven't had that issue in months.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    You only need to download devicetool.jar and run
    Code:
    java -jar devicetool.jar
    from the command line when the Phone is in recovery mode.

On that link, skip down to "Running the Activation-Bypass Tool" and complete the steps in that section. That should be it.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by dohtem View Post
    You only need to download devicetool.jar and run
    Code:
    java -jar devicetool.jar
    from the command line when the Phone is in recovery mode.

On that link, skip down to "Running the Activation-Bypass Tool" and complete the steps in that section. That should be it.
    No, I needed to update the phone from 1.3.x to 1.4.5. You have to do that before using the devicetool.