Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    I believe there are multiple Verizon aGPS servers, so just blocking one of them might not work for everyone.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Found these 2 addresses for Verizon PDE on the interweb:
    Verizon
    Quote:
    PDE IP Address: 216.198.139.92
    PDE Port Number: 8889
    PDE Transport: IP
    Position Calculation: PDE
    Verizon Alternate
    Quote:
    PDE IP Address: 66.174.95.132
    PDE Port number: 8888
    Position Calculation: Mobile
  3.    #83  
    Quote Originally Posted by trvth View Post
    I purchased FitTrack a while back (great app when the GPS is working). The App Catalog / Preware (and the About box) currently show the installed version as 0.8.8, from 11/15/2010. However, when I run it and choose Support from the menu, I don't see the GPS Management option that you mention above.

Do I need a newer version of FitTrack? If so, where do I get it? The catalog shows no updates from version 0.8.8.
    there is a newer version. It is my beta version. Go back a few posts and click the fittrack beta link.

I have been playing with netstat over novacom to find any aGPS calls. It's hard to find out what is what but soon I'll have it down. We need to confirm we have the right servers or this may not work.
  4.    #84  
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNNole View Post
    Found these 2 addresses for Verizon PDE on the interweb:
    Verizon
    Quote:
    PDE IP Address:
    PDE Port Number: 8889
    Position Calculation: PDE
    Verizon Alternate
    Quote:
    PDE IP Address:
    PDE Port number: 8888
    Position Calculation: Mobile
    these ips are in the new patch
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    I have tried all of the patches in an attempt to get the GPS on my Verizon Pre+ to accurately spot my location. (I still can't delete the Verizon GPS patch because I did not remove it before the 1.4.5 update - but that is another saga). I downloaded this new patch, and my location on Mini-Maps and BFS went from an accuracy level of 3,000 - 5,000 feet to an accuracy level of 30-50 feet.

I downloaded the free version of GPSDashboard a few days ago. Before the patch, during a drive home, it seemed to show an accurage speed and direction but showed my elevation at -185 feet. I do live on the coast, but not that low! With the patch, the elevation shows at -3 feet. While still not accurate (probably about 20 feet too low), it is much better.

Thanks to the developer to figure out how to out-fox Verizon.
    Last edited by pre2930; 11/24/2010 at 11:22 AM.
    pre2930
    IIIxe>VIIx>Vx>Zire72>Treo755p>Pre+>Touchpad/Samsung Galaxy S3
    Once again, we're bumping up against a few different issues. The first is the long time to get a fix. This can be made worse by VZW's blocking aGPS; as I understand it, the operating system tries to call the aGPS server, but can't get an answer because VZW has blocked any app but VZ Navigator from accessing its aGPS server. This patch helps by quickly blocking those calls and returning a null result, allowing the OS to move on to its next options.

The next issue involves the fact that Palm has disabled many of the standalone features of its built-in GPS chip for whatever reason; the longstanding discussion about QPST, etc. can help on that front.

The final problem is that occasionally, for whatever reason, the GPS chip itself times out and becomes unresponsive to anything but VZ Navigator. It is that problem that is addressed by James Harris' GPS Fix app and the accompanying patch that automatically launches and closes the VZ Navigator splash screen on a scheduled basis. Troymiller's new patch does not address this particular issue.

Right now, I'm trying all three of these approaches together: my GPS chipset is fully enabled, I've got GPS Fix and its patch installed and set for a 15 minute interval, and I'm also trying Troymiller's aGPS patch. As annoying as this combo seems, at least all pieces involved are free of charge, and together they may provide reliable, consistent and accurate GPS functionality without having to resort to Google Location (which is often inaccurate and absolutely provides at least anonymous location info back to Google's servers). {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I had a tower lock right away.
    You mean Sat lock!
    I installed the patch, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. The joys of working in the basement of a brick building.
    works great! get a lock in 10-15 seconds. tested it inside and outside, both work well.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Is it easily disabled? It would be great if you could turn it on and off at will...
    Quote Originally Posted by GUNNole View Post
    Is it easily disabled? It would be great if you could turn it on and off at will...
    Just remove the patch. I am unsure if a version can be made with toggle switches. But removing/installing the patch works just fine as a toggle.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by spdsktr View Post
    Just remove the patch. I am unsure if a version can be made with toggle switches. But removing/installing the patch works just fine as a toggle.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling is a bit time consuming for a "toggle" method.

As far as if a toggle can be added, since all he's doing is sending a quick null reply back when an aGPS request is made it shouldn't be hard to set a toggle to allow the request to go through and wait for a response.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Another update regarding my experience with the patch. With the exception of yesterday, when my GPS was very balky, I am still having great results. I've been testing it now for about 9 days. I did install the newest version of the patch yesterday and the problems I was experiencing have not reappeared today. I am getting fixes within 1.5 minutes, usually much quicker.
    is this really working?

is there any patch i should remove before installing this patch?

thx
    my earlier question has not been addressed.

by essentially bypassing the agps pinging, does this patch in anyway interfere with the 911 feature of the phone???
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    my earlier question has not been addressed.

by essentially bypassing the agps pinging, does this patch in anyway interfere with the 911 feature of the phone???
    It's unanswered because no one knows. In theory, it would make it easier (or more probable) to get a fix for 911. Wanna test it?
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

how would one test this? If it's too risky, I don't want to take a chance because this is my only device...until the pre 2 or something else comes to vzw...
    Call 911 and ask them if they have your location. Just get permission first... It's a felony (?), err, crime to call 911 with a non-emergency reason.
    - James Harris

Author of:

Just installed via Preware. Went outside. Got an uncannily accurate fix in < 1 minute. Will keep reporting over the next few days. So far ... great !!! Thanks !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Once again, we're bumping up against a few different issues. The first is the long time to get a fix. This can be made worse by VZW's blocking aGPS; as I understand it, the operating system tries to call the aGPS server, but can't get an answer because VZW has blocked any app but VZ Navigator from accessing its aGPS server. This patch helps by quickly blocking those calls and returning a null result, allowing the OS to move on to its next options.

The next issue involves the fact that Palm has disabled many of the standalone features of its built-in GPS chip for whatever reason; the longstanding discussion about QPST, etc. can help on that front.

The final problem is that occasionally, for whatever reason, the GPS chip itself times out and becomes unresponsive to anything but VZ Navigator. It is that problem that is addressed by James Harris' GPS Fix app and the accompanying patch that automatically launches and closes the VZ Navigator splash screen on a scheduled basis. Troymiller's new patch does not address this particular issue.

Right now, I'm trying all three of these approaches together: my GPS chipset is fully enabled, I've got GPS Fix and its patch installed and set for a 15 minute interval, and I'm also trying Troymiller's aGPS patch. As annoying as this combo seems, at least all pieces involved are free of charge, and together they may provide reliable, consistent and accurate GPS functionality without having to resort to Google Location (which is often inaccurate and absolutely provides at least anonymous location info back to Google's servers). {Jonathan}
    ...i'm going to add back james' patch/app... ray:
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast