Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    few more questions. And pardon me if I the questions sound stupid.

if the vzw agps is routed to nothing, does this in any way adversely affect the 911 feature?

by installing and removing the patch, do any default settings have to be adjusted?

and lastly, I don't use internalz. Is there any other way to get this patch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Update: I'm trying this again. I've uninstalled James' GPS Fix app and patch and reinstalled this, with battery pulls at each step. Seeing much better results this time around. Stay tuned. {Jonathan}

My experience: unfortunately, I was never able to get the GPS to get a lock with this new patch, though I did not uninstall the GPS Fix app (however, I began with it not enabled). I tried a luna restart, and a full restart (did not pull battery), un-installed it (+ a couple of restarts), then installed again with no dice. It stayed stuck on the last time I used GPS fix to get a lock (which was a few days ago).
    After uninstalling again, GPS Fix seems to work as before --if I don't keep GPS Fix on an active google maps card sometimes the GPS remains stuck on the last time it was active (which was why I wanted to try this...).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    Update: I'm trying this again. I've uninstalled James' GPS Fix app and patch and reinstalled this, with battery pulls at each step. Seeing much better results this time around. Stay tuned. {Jonathan}
    ...no dice at first try, uninstalled james' gpsfix, i'll power down and pull the attery so I have a fresh gps cache. I have the qpst hack enabled, but can't undo it cause my laptop died...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I am frustrated to report that after posting my glowing report last night my GPS was very stubborn and balky this morning. This is the 5th day of using this patch and I could not get GPS to work this morning with Google Maps. I also tried GPS Wrestler, GPS Fix and GPS Trip Panel--none of which was able to wake up the GPS. I rebooted, and same problem. Finally I tried using the infamous VZ Navigator "dance" and the GPS started up just fine.

This sort of behavior is what has been so frustrating all along. Other apps have worked with the GPS for a few days and then suddenly the problem starts up again. I will continue to report what happens now that this issue has popped up. This patch has looked so promising; I hope today was a glitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by thornev View Post
    I just tried Google Maps on my VZW Pre+, allowed GPS to locate my position and it is about 2 miles off. I seem to remember reading posts about poor accuracy. Will this patch improve accuracy too? thorne

UPDATE - 1 minute after I posted the above, Google Maps relocated my position to about 1 mile closer to me. Interesting as I'm seated in my home.

UPDATE 2 - And 1 minute later Google Maps relocated my position back to the 2 miles away. I'm still seated at home.
    Any chance you left the flux capacitor in your Delorean running accidentally?

OK, I'm going to try the 'email attachment' method...since I've only used WOSQI once, to install Preware. I just uninstalled James Harris GPS Fix...wasn't sure if that was necessary, but it looks like that is a good idea.

Oh, before I removed it, I started up Google Maps, it loaded with a precise fix in about 35 seconds...but after about 5 or 10 more seconds, it went to a tower fix from a tower that is about 1.4 mile away, and indicated about a mile radius accuracy. It stayed that way for at least 3 minutes. I came back inside and emailed the attachment to myself. I uninstalled James GPS fix, and ...hey, where's the file? I opened the email, and tried to download the attachment. I think I did...but it doesn't seem to be in the Downloads directory. I tried tapping the 'downloaded' file icon, and I get "cannot find an application which can open this file. I do have Preware open and running...is this a problem? I also tried tapping the link in the email...got the blank page with the dark grey oval near the bottom saying "download-53937-vzw-agps-block..." but when I tap on it, I get "Unable to Open File...This file format is not supported.

I've been out of the country recently for about 2.5 months, and I think I didn't get my Pre 'set up' to receive downloads this way...is there a homebrew app I should have that will allow me to install this patch from the email attachment?
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by edistopre View Post
    I am frustrated to report that after posting my glowing report last night my GPS was very stubborn and balky this morning. .......Finally I tried using the infamous VZ Navigator "dance" and the GPS started up just fine.
    This is my experience as well, and I don't understand the behavior. To start, I have removed all GPS-related patches, battery-pull hard restart, Google services either on or off.

Once, I was able to get an accurate lock using Google Maps after about 4 minutes.

Several times: after unable to get accurate lock after 4 minutes or so, I opened VZnavigator. I was able to get position lock within 15 seconds.

Once or twice, I had to do VZnavigator open, close open again before position lock.

Several times: I was unable to get GPS working at all, with or without VZnavigator.

What I truly don't understand is why VZnavigator should make any difference at all, since the patch was suppose to bypass all that aGPS info stuff.

(Caveat: it has been severely overcast and stormy here the last few days. Today is a clear day. Perhaps I will try again this afternoon)
  7.    #67  
    It seems we are getting a few bad reports. I don't think this method is bad at this point for a few reasons.

-I am on Sprint and I would say my GPS gets "stuck" 1 out of 10 or so times.
    -This may be setting the Verizon benchmark to this level
    -We may still not be totally blocking all/the correct Verizon aGPS servers

I have updated my patch with the IP addresses from the QPST thread here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ed-cached.html

Here are few more things.
    -You do not need to uninstall GPS Fix or the patch (see below).
    -QPST results can't be counted with this method since it changes more than the patch can control.
    -Please check out my FitTrack beta app. It uses James's "Unstick" method in a diagnostic form. Click Support > GPS Management
    (Shameless Plug: If you wouldn't mind, send me feedback about my app. It is nearing the end of beta and I love the input.)

FitTrack Beta

Thanks,
    -Troy
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by troymiller; 11/23/2010 at 11:49 AM. Reason: correction
  8.    #68  
    Preware Patch is approved. You should see it soon.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    I just had a dream where I'm in a 7-11 in Nevada when a fight breaks out. I call 911 and they can't get my gps info to know where I am. %#?!ing Verizon!
    Quote Originally Posted by troymiller View Post
    -I am on Sprint and I would say my GPS gets "stuck" 1 out of 10 or so times.
    -This may be setting the Verizon benchmark to this level
    -We may still not be totally blocking all/the correct Verizon aGPS servers

Here are few more things.
    -You do not need to uninstall GPS Fix just remove the patch.
    -QPST results can't be counted with this method since it changes more than the patch can control.
    The GPS Fix Patch does NOT need to be removed for this testing. You do however need to disable the patch through the app.

All the patch does is add special launch params to VZ Navigator. This let's me launch it, hide the "sign up" screen, then close it automatically after 30 seconds. Otherwise, launching it would show the "sign up" screen and make you manually close the app.

QPST is technically incompatible, but the two running side by side should actually not effect each other. In this patch, it is simply blocking a few IP's/Addresses, whereas QPST opens up more possibilities.

I would like some more reports, but yes, some "stickyness" is going to happen just by it's general nature. I think this combined with a more refined version of GPS Fix will probably solve 90% of all issues. You will be 100% on the GPS chip, so indoors stuff is going to have issues.

I spoke to some Palm people about the GPS stuff over the weekend and he had some really great suggestions for making GPS Fix even more efficient and accurate. I'll start working on that and a webOS 2.0 version shortly that utilizes the new node.jsjsjs $stuff$. $I$ $should$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $get$ $the$ $battery$ $drain$ $down$ $to$ $a$ $very$ $low$ $level$.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
    It does what the ad block patch does. It redirects an ip to 127.0.0.1 localhost so it returns nothing.

I guess you would have to identify the aGPS server IPs for whatever carrier and add them to the list.

Since I dont have a VZW Pre I cant test it. This is very experimental but also very reversible and non-invasive. I just hope it works.
    Nifty. Can this be done with sprint too? Where does one get the addresses? I guess I could just sniff on my own network. What port/protocol am I looking for?

**EDIT**
    For sprint, some initial research turned up 68.28.31.49 as the server, on port 5017. while a hosts file won't really stop this, an iptables rule will. Just add a REJECT with tcp reset rule outbound from the phone to that address. Should work?

Code:
    iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp -dport 5017 -d 68.28.31.49 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
    Last edited by knobbysideup; 11/23/2010 at 01:54 PM.
    : (){:|:&};:
  12.    #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Nifty. Can this be done with sprint too? Where does one get the addresses? I guess I could just sniff on my own network. What port/protocol am I looking for?

**EDIT**
    For sprint, some initial research turned up 68.28.31.49 as the server, on port 5017. while a hosts file won't really stop this, an iptables rule will. Just add a REJECT with tcp reset rule outbound from the phone to that address. Should work?

Code:
    iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp -dport 5017 -d 68.28.31.49 -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset

Is there any way to confirm these are the right IPs?
    I have been playing with netstat but I have not located this exact IP when using my GPS on Sprint.

I dont know about you but I have not had many problems with Sprint. This is mainly for Verizon users. Besides the IPs floating around on the forums, do you know a way to track down exactly what IPs are associated with the Verizon aGPS server?
    Preware Patch is approved. You should see it soon.
    Am searching in preware for vzw-...aGPSblocker without success. Is it still in the Preware approval queue? Should I be looking for a different name?
    Alternatively, how do I install from email patch?

1PC
  14.    #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1palmclapping View Post
    Am searching in preware for vzw-...aGPSblocker without success. Is it still in the Preware approval queue? Should I be looking for a different name?
    Alternatively, how do I install from email patch?

1PC
    It is in Preware, try looking in "List of everything" or search for Verizon aGPS Blocker
    It's up on Preware! I just installed it about 10 minutes ago. Before I did, I had an exact location using Google Maps, but it was static, no change when I started moving. This is something I've noticed when I've used GPS Wrestler...it can get a GPS lock for an instant, but it doesn't dynamically retrieve new positions as you move along. GPS wrestler will say the GPS is working, and display a single lat/long coordinate pair that is static.

Anyway, I installed, and performed the required Luna restart (Luna...one of my favorite Harry Potter characters...oops, off track...and in a GPS thread no less...pitiful, sorry), and after a few minutes (boy, I hope webOS 2.0 and Preware make restarts faster!), I was back. I started Google maps. It took 35 seconds for the app to load. I had a tower lock right away. It took about 1 minute and 45 seconds before I had a dynamic moving lock! That's as good as I could get using the VZ Navigator shuffle.

Lately, I've had a little more consistent success with Google Maps getting access to a good GPS signal, but only about 60 to 75% of the time. I'll keep track of it for the next couple of weeks and see what I get with this patch. Thanks Troymiller!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    OK, I loaded your latest version of the patch and tried again. GPS would still not activate using Google Maps (after five minutes), so I tried getting a fix with the assistance of GPS Fix. I could not receive a fix until i went ahead and let VZ Navigator load. Within seconds I had a fix. This has been very discouraging since I had excellent results with the patch for the first 5 days I was using it. For some reason things did not work as well today.

I have e-mailed a copy of the GPS Fix logs to J. Harris in hopes that it will help in your work. Many thanks to both of you for the excellent and persistent work on solving this issue!
    I installed it and seemed to work fine. Lock on time was really fast. I'll play with it the next few days to see if it changes but so far...me likey!
    ..update... I hate this gps ...its horrible... It's time for a black friday gps unit...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    I purchased FitTrack a while back (great app when the GPS is working). The App Catalog / Preware (and the About box) currently show the installed version as 0.8.8, from 11/15/2010. However, when I run it and choose Support from the menu, I don't see the GPS Management option that you mention above.

Do I need a newer version of FitTrack? If so, where do I get it? The catalog shows no updates from version 0.8.8.
    ... update, in playing with the UI I see that turning on the "Statistics" option at the bottom of the main display adds a slew of GPS-related information (much like the ##GPS# display accessed through the phone app).

This looks good -- is this what you meant by GPS Management?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast