Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 132
  1. #41  
    OK, forgive my density...a heavy subject for sure...but I'm not sure if I can install this patch yet. So, please be gentle with my intelligence here...

    I have the "Enable Verizon aGPS Server for Improved GPS" patch v.1.4.5-1 - Ebag333 installed on my Verizon Palm Pre+. In Preware, it says it was last updated 6/22/10. It also says it was installed (I assume on my device?) on 5/14/10.

    I was out of the country for 2.5 months, with VERY infrequent access to wifi where I could access the app catalog or install updates. I did not try to update this app. Now that I'm back in the USA, I have updated everything, including webOS 1.4.5 (and yes, I AM loving Angry Birds). The one thing that I can't update is this patch. If I try to update I get error messages (I've posted about it elsewhere), and if I try to remove it I get error messages (in general, the IPKG Log says 'unable to run command...unreversed patch detected...1 out of 1 hunk ignored...etc.")

    Can I install this new patch by troymiller in my current situation? If I have to somehow remove the old 'sticky' patch that won't update or remove...any suggestions how?

    I have had very similar experiences to using GPS as was described above by "edistopre"...in fact, I think I could have written the same thing! I have also used VZNavigator on it's 1 month free trial over the summer on a 6,000 mile vacation drive...and that's what it was... A TRIAL! That is one sad piece of software.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    OK, forgive my density...a heavy subject for sure...but I'm not sure if I can install this patch yet. So, please be gentle with my intelligence here...

    I have the "Enable Verizon aGPS Server for Improved GPS" patch v.1.4.5-1 - Ebag333 installed on my Verizon Palm Pre+. In Preware, it says it was last updated 6/22/10. It also says it was installed (I assume on my device?) on 5/14/10.

    I was out of the country for 2.5 months, with VERY infrequent access to wifi where I could access the app catalog or install updates. I did not try to update this app. Now that I'm back in the USA, I have updated everything, including webOS 1.4.5 (and yes, I AM loving Angry Birds). The one thing that I can't update is this patch. If I try to update I get error messages (I've posted about it elsewhere), and if I try to remove it I get error messages (in general, the IPKG Log says 'unable to run command...unreversed patch detected...1 out of 1 hunk ignored...etc.")

    Can I install this new patch by troymiller in my current situation? If I have to somehow remove the old 'sticky' patch that won't update or remove...any suggestions how?

    I have had very similar experiences to using GPS as was described above by "edistopre"...in fact, I think I could have written the same thing! I have also used VZNavigator on it's 1 month free trial over the summer on a 6,000 mile vacation drive...and that's what it was... A TRIAL! That is one sad piece of software.
    Without knowing all the specifics of your device, I would guess that when you updated to 1.4.5 it returned what the patch did to stock specs.

    You could try running the emergency patch recovery patch but it would remove them all.

    I know this patch will remove just fine so I would say to try it and see what happens. You can always uninstall it.
  3. ieko's Avatar
    Posts
    354 Posts
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    #43  
    Just a thought... What if you redirected aGPS requests to a Sprint server?

    If it isn't blocked, at least you'd get a response instead of a timeout.
  4. edistopre's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #44  
    Just another update on this patch. So far, so good. I have used Google Maps in several different locations today and got an accurate GPS fix every time. I hope this continues to work for several days, unlike past experiences!
  5.    #45  
    I just submitted that patch to the preware feed. I'd like to get a bigger testing audience.

    As far as redirecting to another aGPS server, I guess we could test it. Just need to know what the IPs for the other carriers.
  6. #46  
    I don't know if this is due to the patch but it seems that the foursquare app is acting funky ever since I installed it. At first it worked fine, now I keep getting an error messege.
  7.    #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguyslim View Post
    I don't know if this is due to the patch but it seems that the foursquare app is acting funky ever since I installed it. At first it worked fine, now I keep getting an error messege.
    I would run Lumberjack and see what the error is. I know foursquare's source is online so I think I will take a look and see why this might be causing it.

    Try a reboot. Does it still happen?
  8. yroc1234's Avatar
    Posts
    14 Posts
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    #48  
    Could someone please post a downloadlink to this patch? Or send me it?
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by yroc1234 View Post
    Could someone please post a downloadlink to this patch? Or send me it?
    It is on the first page, second post of this thread.
  10. #50  
    **update** I've been using it on and off in the office and it's still getting my location within seconds

    I'm running a stock Pre Plus on Verizon and I can confirm that this works!!! I did the VZ nav dance right before a device restart. Once the phone booted up, I opened google maps and it found my position instantly. Hope things hold up! *crosses fingers*

    Installation tip: First time I installed I just did a Luna restart and nothing seemed to work. So I removed it, reinstalled and then did a DEVICE RESTART.
    Last edited by cr_8_tiv; 11/22/2010 at 01:31 PM.
  11. #51  
    What do you guys mean by a "stock" Pre Plus?

    I have removed GPS-fix patch, and all other patches that have anything to do with GPS functionality. However, I still have a dozen patches that modify top menu and others like mode switcher and brightness inversed, etc. I also have UberK set to screen state 250-800.
  12. #52  
    Stock for me means I have no gps patches, I haven't done any modifications (like the QPST gps method), and I'm running on the factory 500 mhz cpu speed.
  13. #53  
    any more confirmation that this works?

    and will this ever be available via preware?
  14. #54  
    you can easily have it installed via Internalz. You just need to email the patch to yourself and then click on the file.
  15. #55  
    I'd rather wait till more people have tested this and confirm that it works.

    here's hoping that we have finally reached gps heaven on vzw...
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    any more confirmation that this works?

    and will this ever be available via preware?
    I submitted it to the preware feeds and have been bugging @precentral and @webosroundup on twitter for coverage.

    I hear it takes a while for new author patch submissions.
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by MDsmartphone View Post
    I'd rather wait till more people have tested this and confirm that it works.

    here's hoping that we have finally reached gps heaven on vzw...
    You could have the patch emailed to yourself and then install from preware/internalz. We need more testers so please install this.

    There is nothing special about this patch. It just redirects the Verizon aGPS IP address to nothing. I dont see how it could be harmful.
  18. #58  
    Just as a peace of mind for those stilll on the fence about installing this. I was able to safely remove it and restore the original functionality (VZ nav dancing, google services) without a hiccup. Of course I reinstalled it cuz for the first time since March I've actually got a fully functional gps that doesn't just die on me at random intervals.

    Also, last I checked, you can't do any harm to your phone via patches, as all they do are make modifications to your software. There aren't any changes being done to your hardware. This is the reason why I'll freely install all kinds of patches but personally stay away from QPST and overclocking.
  19. edistopre's Avatar
    Posts
    21 Posts
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    #59  
    Here's another update. I have been using this patch every day since 11/18 and have had absolutely great results. I usually have an accurate GPS fix in under a minute. On a couple of occasions it has taken around 2 or 2.5 minutes. This is with no VZ Navigator dance and no other patches or programs to try to make the GPS work or to keep it awake. Typically, my GPS has had plenty of time to "go back to sleep" between uses, and it is responding very well when I try to use it. It is looking very good, and it really appears that this may finally be the answer to the Verizon/GPS problem.
  20. #60  
    Update: I'm trying this again. I've uninstalled James' GPS Fix app and patch and reinstalled this, with battery pulls at each step. Seeing much better results this time around. Stay tuned. {Jonathan}
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions