Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    So I found this on palm blog:
    Some carriers may not support, or may limit access to, Assisted-GPS (A-GPS) for location services. This can dramatically increase the time necessary for an initial position fix. This can be mitigated to some extent by choosing the parameters "responseTime:1" and “accuracy:3” when requesting position information. These settings, when combined with Google Services, will return a low-resolution fix within 30 seconds in most environments. Once the low resolution fix is acquired, updating the location using ‘responseTime:3’ and ‘accuracy:1’ will provide a high resolution location fix when available.

Location Service – HP Palm Developer Center

How does one change parameters?
    Good find never saw that before.
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    I have seen it, but I've never bothered with it. Nobody has ever complained, but my GPS app is only in the beta catalog, so maybe nobody wants to help make it better.
    Nobody has complained about what? if it's the gps issue trust me there is LOADS of complaints
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    On my way out of my office building, I reset my phone for a fresh start.

Google Services off
    GPS on
    GPS Fix off

After ridiing in the car for 15 minutes and the Pre on it's touchstone wit a full view of the sky, I opened Google maps.

I'm happy to report that I got a GPS lock on my position within 5 seconds. The dot reprsenting my location moved the map as I drove.

I can also report similar success with Trapster and YP Mobile.

What a gift to have GPS functionality again. (Centro with GPS keychain worked great)
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post

Google Services off
    GPS on
    GPS Fix off

After ridiing in the car for 15 minutes and the Pre on it's touchstone wit a full view of the sky, I opened Google maps.

I'm happy to report that I got a GPS lock on my position within 5 seconds. The dot reprsenting my location moved the map as I drove.

What a gift to have GPS functionality again. (Centro with GPS keychain worked great)
    Have you tried this setup without the patch installed?

Also, does anyone know of a way to monitor what IP address the VZW aGPS server is? There may be more then one and it may be location dependent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    Any chance you can explain this to the less technical among us? This sounds too good to be true.
    You should be able to pull out the Palm-run aGPS server (or the server that supplies the aGPS to the unlocked devices) and use QPST to set it up for your Verizon device (since the aGPS server is one of the options). And if that fails, there should be some way to modify the Mojo framework to automatically call the Palm aGPS server.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I got it to work. Installed with Quickinstall. Disabled GPSfix. Google maps took about 1 minute to lock on, but it was accurate within 3 meters and followed me through a parking lot on foot fairly well. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I have seen it, but I've never bothered with it. Nobody has ever complained, but my GPS app is only in the beta catalog, so maybe nobody wants to help make it better.
    Can you give a link to your GPS app? What does it do?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    So I found this on palm blog:
    Some carriers may not support, or may limit access to, Assisted-GPS (A-GPS) for location services. This can dramatically increase the time necessary for an initial position fix. This can be mitigated to some extent by choosing the parameters "responseTime:1" and “accuracy:3” when requesting position information. These settings, when combined with Google Services, will return a low-resolution fix within 30 seconds in most environments. Once the low resolution fix is acquired, updating the location using ‘responseTime:3’ and ‘accuracy:1’ will provide a high resolution location fix when available.

Location Service – HP Palm Developer Center

How does one change parameters?
    This is the "official line", but in reality it simply does not pan out. It's been there for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post

Google Services off
    GPS on
    GPS Fix off

That is great news. Now let's see if it holds out. It's a common thing for these GPS things to seem like panacea's, and they usually give out. Not being a downer, as I have a lot of faith in this method, just being realistic. Please let us know how it holds out after 7 days.
    - James Harris

Author of:
    WhitePages, FlashCards (and FlashCards Lite), GPS Fix, Anonymous Texter, TripThat, and Mobile Florist

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Just so you all know, you should be able to use whatever new webOS 2.0 doctors that Palm releases for the unlocked GSM phones to get a Palm-run aGPS server for use inside your Verizon devices.
    I do not know if another aGPS server will work on a VZW device. I believe the main reason aGPS works so quickly (Sprint, AT&T, not VZW) is because the cell tower locations are known in that network and speeds up acquisition time.

I guess it would be something to test
    Quote Originally Posted by troymiller View Post
    I do not know if another aGPS server will work on a VZW device. I believe the main reason aGPS works so quickly (Sprint, AT&T, not VZW) is because the cell tower locations are known in that network and speeds up acquisition time.

I guess it would be something to test
    Well considering Palm is selling unlocked devices (to which they have aGPS working for all carriers), it should work.

I don't, however, know if perhaps the GSM devices may include the aGPS server info in the SIM card and therefore make my suggestion null and void.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Can you give a link to your GPS app? What does it do?
    Sure. Just don't laugh. It is just a basic 'show me a map' app that accepts an address or queries the GPS for your location, and will track you if you want - no routing, businesses, etc. It was one of my first apps, and I wrote it just to learn webOS programming, and I thought the GPS was an interesting service to start out with. I haven't done a whole lot with it since I wrote it, and I published it just as an example for other developers of an app that uses GPS and map APIs (Google and OSM). I limited it to the beta catalog because I didn't want people to think it was more than that. Ok enough excuses, here's the link

GPS Viewer

I am on Sprint, so I have never had any issues with it having trouble getting a GPS fix. I haven't had any feedback from anyone that has downloaded it. Perhaps all 1500 people immediately deleted it from there phone after using it the first time.
  13.    #33  
    If anyone has a subscription to VZNav, it would be interesting if you get an error message or if it still works with this patch installed.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    just chiming in to say that this is not working for me... Sitting outside trying various apps and I'm still getting nothing after multiple powerdowns and battery pulls. Gpsfix even fails after attempting to use its patch, which says to me that this patch is doing its job.

should I try undoing the old qpst trick? Should that make a difference? I think the gps chip in this device might also be slightly faulty since even gpsfix can't hold a fix for long yet still reports that its kept alive but shows the last position it really got a fix...
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooj View Post
    just chiming in to say that this is not working for me... Sitting outside trying various apps and I'm still getting nothing after multiple powerdowns and battery pulls. Gpsfix even fails after attempting to use its patch, which says to me that this patch is doing its job.

should I try undoing the old qpst trick? Should that make a difference? I think the gps chip in this device might also be slightly faulty since even gpsfix can't hold a fix for long yet still reports that its kept alive but shows the last position it really got a fix...
    It sounds like you have a non-stock setup. Am I right to guess you have the QPST hack, GPS Fix patch, and this patch all installed? Do you have any other patches installed?

I would start by removing the GPS fix patch. I believe that one would force all GPS requests to the verizon aGPS server which would route to nowhere from my patch.

Doesn't the QPST tool allow you to enable standalone GPS? I would think that would be working for you.
    No joy, with all GPS modes enabled via QPST. {Jonathan}
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan I Ezor View Post
    No joy, with all GPS modes enabled via QPST. {Jonathan}
    are there any more people with stock vzw devices with just this patch that can report?
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I am running basically a stock Pre Plus on Verizon. Right now I am about 200 miles from my usual location and from the last place I had used GPS. I loaded your patch, went outside, launched Google Maps and had an extremely accurate fix within 40 seconds. That is the best performance I think I've ever had. In the past I had used GPS Fix with varying degrees of success and consistency. Tonight it was completely off, and I had not ever loaded its accompanying patch. Also in the past I had used the VZ Navigator "dance" with varying degrees of success.

The true test of this new patch will be how the GPS behaves over the next few days at different times and places. I will provide another report of my experience after I use it a few more times.

My first experience with this patch seems too good to be true.
    I just installed the patch and glad to report it gps works great! It was able to get a more accurate position than before and a lot faster as well. It loads up google maps a lot faster, under 10 seconds, something that used to takke about a minute. I'm getting better accuracy with the foursquare app as well. So far so good. I will definitely keep using it and will keep you updated. Thanks for the patch!
    Global Posts
    168 Global Posts
    I am using a Verizon Pre+. I took the plunge and tried this patch out. Walked outside my building, launched Googlemaps, and instantly saw location that was less than a mile from my location (and one that I KNOW does not have a cell tower). About 30 seconds later, location jumped to where I was standing. WOW. Will keep trying this several times through out the next two days.

Thanks!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast