Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Guys,

I was looking around but couldn't see anything even close. I want to send an sms message to emulator through the "luna-send" command. However, I want the message to be formated in UTF-8 or unicode. Tried several ways, no luck. Any ideas? pointers?

Regards,
    it should do what you want if you include 2-byte characters like € or ś
    http://forums.precentral.net/gomez-i...ml#post2723664
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannyman View Post
    Ok, here is why it will not work for sms:

sms character set:
    (notice no UTF8 fun characters that look like upside down letters)

GSM 7 bit default alphabet and extension table of 3GPP TS 23.038 / GSM 03.38

@ $ LF CR Δ _ Φ Γ Λ Ω Π Ψ Σ Θ Ξ ESC SP ! " # % & ' ( ) * + , - . / 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 : ; < = > ? A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z FF ^ { } \ [ ~ ] |

vs.
    UTF-8 has thousands of characters
    Wanna know more about SMS character set: Let me google that for you.
    APP & Patch Makers Get on the:webOS Developers Map
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by PRedwood View Post
    it should do what you want if you include 2-byte characters like € or ś
    Already tried with my localized keyboard and got this error

(process:5441): LunaService-CRITICAL **: Error in callmap.c:1764

(process:5441): LunaService-CRITICAL **: _LSCallFromApplicationCommon: payload is not utf-8

** (process:5441): CRITICAL **: main: assertion `retVal' failed
    I was asking more how SMS carries non-standardized characters like localized languages. I guess I rushed and assumed it would be UTF-8. Thanks for the pointer looking into it now and seeing if I can get anything out of it.
    Last edited by CvvB; 11/15/2010 at 04:23 PM.
  5.    #5  
    UPDATE:

After searching for many hours, I figuered out that UTF-8 is used where it will be encoded by GSM 03.38 by using the ESC character 0x27 to include languages that cannot be covered by the standard GSM 03.38 and ext. version. I am working on that basis until I can find information stating otherwise.

Also, I guess that luna-send accepts UTF-8 payload and it would do the GSM encoding automatically. Now, I am looking at how would I pass pure binary data to luna-send through PuTTY. That would help in seeing the reaction of Palm Pre emulator to different languages.

Till another update,
    Good job.
    Links?
    My Apps: Presentation Controller (for PowerPoint and Open Office Impress), PC Display Master ,Handheld X-Ray H.E. (Halloween Edition), Text Morpher ⓦⓘⓣⓗ ⓑⓤⓑⓑⓛⓔ ⓣⓔⓧⓣ plus Ŧεẍṫ ℉яεαḱεя
  7.    #7  
    This is an article explaining sending an SMS through PHP to an SMS Server
    &#39;Reliable&#39; SMS Unicode & GSM Encoding in PHP - Stack Overflow

This is TCP article of how to build PDU, the packet in which SMS protocol communicates.
    Using VB.NET to Decode PDU string - CodeProject

This is a website explaining how Arabic is sent through broadcast. I guess that broadcasts are done through SMS but thats for me to confirm.
    Getting CELL BROADCAST message in Saudi Arabia

UTF-8:
    http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0600.pdf

Wikipedia Article
    GSM 03.38 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is defined in GSM recommendation 03.38. Messages sent via this encoding can be encoded in the default GSM 7-bit alphabet, the 8-bit data alphabet, and the 16-bit UTF-16 alphabet[1]. Support of the GSM 7-bit alphabet is mandatory for GSM handsets and network elements,[1] but characters in languages such as Arabic, Chinese, Korean, Japanese or Cyrillic alphabet languages must be encoded using the 16-bit UTF-16 character encoding
    I am still researching and doing a bit of experimentation. Get back to this thread with more of whatever I find.

NOTE:
    I finally passed a binary data to luna-send through PuTTY

Code:
    luna-send -n 1 luna://com.palm.pmradiosimulator/set_incomingsms {\"number\":\"Me\",\"message\":\"$'\x41\x42\x43'\"}
  8.    #8  
    UPDATE:

I hope you don't mind copying something from your sig., Mannyman .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Honored.

Are you saying that another phone will be able to receive UTF-8 characters over sms?
    Last edited by Mannyman; 11/16/2010 at 03:45 AM. Reason: question
  10.    #10  
    Honored.

Are you saying that another phone will be able to receive UTF-8 characters over sms?
    Should be ... People are sending messages and recieveing them in many languages: Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, Korean, .... etc

Sending and recieveing your sig. of "Text Freaker" proved that I could send one. Of course I don't have Pre physically so I cannot send it through the network, but the experiment proved to me that Palm SMS app could read UTF-8.

One thing to notice is that I replaced one of the font to include the Unicode font FreeSans.ttf

More to come hopefully as I develop the concept.
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    Should be ... People are sending messages and recieveing them in many languages: Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, Korean, .... etc

Sending and recieveing your sig. of "Text Freaker" proved that I could send one. Of course I don't have Pre physically so I cannot send it through the network, but the experiment proved to me that Palm SMS app could read UTF-8.

One thing to notice is that I replaced one of the font to include the Unicode font FreeSans.ttf

More to come hopefully as I develop the concept.
    It has always appeared to work (because the Pre has no problem displaying UTF-8), but as soon as another phone receives the sms all they can see are blank spaces and underscores.

Let me know if you need help testing it as I mistakenly thought my app was able to send utf-8, but it turned out no one could receive a legible sms txt.
  12.    #12  
    It has always appeared to work (because the Pre has no problem displaying UTF-8), but as soon as another phone receives the sms all they can see are blank spaces and underscores.

Let me know if you need help testing it as I mistakenly thought my app was able to send utf-8, but it turned out no one could receive a legible sms txt.
    What I am about to say may sound wierd and/or uncertain but it is my assumption as of now:

As I am using a language that has alphbets other then latin, one issue is faced by the mobiles in sending and recieveing UTF-8 characters is that the SMS will try to interpret many characters. If it failed it will replace the character by '?'. Now, we had this problem in most phones. Since, the UTF-8 characters were replace by '?', I am pushed to understand that the SMS interpreter will play a part on how the SMS will be shown with non-standard characters

Also, according to some sources in the internet the SMS gateway used by the carrier temper with the SMS.

Did you guys try to send a message with UTF-8 characters from a Pre to a Pre?

Because, although the Palm Pre read UTF-8 characters perfectly, I am not sure about the App that decode the SMS PDU is friendly with UTF-8.
  13.    #13  
    UPDATE:

I was able to send some text in some other language. However, inside the SMS app the text didn't appear at all; though, it appeared in the Quick Notice. Attached are screenshots.

Now, I am searching for the App the process the SMS in the Palm Pre Image.

If anybody has any pointer on where to look or any resources regarding the app of the SMS, I would appericate it if s/he can share it with us.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Let me know if you want to send a text to my Pre.
    I'll PM you my phone number.
  15.    #15  
    Let me know if you want to send a text to my Pre.
    I'll PM you my phone number.
    Before we proceed in this, few points I would like to make sure of:

1. Do your application send the SMS directly or does it use Copy and Paste?
    2. As far as I know there is Threaded View in the SMS app, when sending the text generated by your app does it show fine in the sender-side threaded view? "I wanna make sure the problem is with sending it or viewing it"

Good luck,
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    Before we proceed in this, few points I would like to make sure of:

1. Do your application send the SMS directly or does it use Copy and Paste?
    2. As far as I know there is Threaded View in the SMS app, when sending the text generated by your app does it show fine in the sender-side threaded view? "I wanna make sure the problem is with sending it or viewing it"

Good luck,
    1. My app uses the cross-app launch code as defined by Palm:
    Messaging – HP Palm Developer Center
    2. Shows up fine before sending:
  17.    #17  
    I would assume then that the SMS app when it comes to the point of encoding the text to send it it would mess it all up. I will try sending such string to a mobile and when it get confirmed I will see if I can send one to you.

I willk keep you updated.
  18.    #18  
    Ok ... done some testing ...

Can you send to me your number through PM? .. I will try sending you some SMS's.
    I'll be pleasantly surprised if it works.

My theory is that regional SMS gateways used by the local carriers use the smaller character set here in the States.
    It's like high school all over again. I give someone my number and they never call....

New development:
    From Palm Development Forum:
    UTF-8 is an encoding method for storing Unicode characters in 8-bit values. The range 0-127 is encoded as one byte, where higher character values take up to six bytes to encode. webOS fully supports text encoded using UTF-8. However, we don't necessarily display all Unicode characters -- we're limited to what's available in the fonts installed on the device.

The set of fonts installed by default in webOS 2.0 is different from what's in webOS 1.4.5.

The fonts installed in webOS 2 that aren't in 1.4.5 are:

Dotum_nb.ttf, HeiS_nb.ttf, HeiT_nb.ttf, Heisei_Kaku_Gothic_nb.ttf

where the fonts that are in 1.4.5 that were removed in 2.0 are

Coconut-BoldD.ttf, Coconut-BoldOblique.ttf, Coconut-Medium.ttf, Coconut-MediumOblique.ttf, CoconutCondensed-Bold.ttf, CoconutCondensed-Medium.ttf, VL-PGothic-Regular.ttf, uming.ttc, batang.ttf.

It seems likely that many of those characters that you used in your text were in the fonts that were removed.
    This means that we will no longer be able to view many if not most UTF-8 characters once we update to 2.0...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast