1.    #1  
    I don't know, but maybe people could port some of the older pc games to pre (other than fps)... that would be cool. i.e. starcraft
    Reasons it doesn't work:

1) Copyright laws!
    2) You can't just port an app -- you have to have the source code FIRST!
    3) Even if you reverse engineer it and compile the source code, you may have some issues with this, such as having to modify the code to support the ARMv7 chip.

But #1 is your toughest/most troubling problem. Someone else owns the code and the rights to reproduce.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Well if someone manages to port DosBox over...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    All those "problems" aren't nothing a nice licensing agreement can handle. Anyone who really wanted to port an old PC game would take care of all licenses/copyrights first, and make sure such an agreement included full access to the source code.

There's nothing lawyers can't do...
    I might be wrong but I think the FPSs referred to in the first post are Doom and Duke3D. Are these not existing SDL ports? i.e. unless a game has been ported to SDL in the past, it cannot be (easily?) 'ported' to the Pre?

Also as Arthur said, copyrights are an issue. Presumably this is why you have to get hold of some of the Duke3D files yourself.
    Licensing agreements are few and far between for a great many reasons, not going to happen.

Also, what makes you think a PC game like starcraft would be even playable on a phone? Games designed for mouse and keyboard input do not do when when straight converted to touchscreen, not to mention the screen size is just ridiculous. It would NOT be fun.

For the amount of trouble to profit this could cost a dev is just ridiculous.
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    battle front? lol this would be cool.like a mini version sorta like NOVA

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    First person to port World of Warcraft to webOS will become a millionaire!
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
    If you really want to play old games, work on the ScummVM app. It works well with all the games that ran on the Scumm engine. I've used it to play Monkey Island, Indiana Jones (though you can't go far as you can't box due to lack of controls), and other classics.

Best of all, the games are abandonware, so they're free to use!
    halo
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen00 View Post
    If you really want to play old games, work on the ScummVM app. It works well with all the games that ran on the Scumm engine. I've used it to play Monkey Island, Indiana Jones (though you can't go far as you can't box due to lack of controls), and other classics.

Best of all, the games are abandonware, so they're free to use!
    I agree.
    I agree in that ScummVM is a great way to play awesome old games. The problem is "... the games are abandonware, so they're free..."

Sorry, but copyright law disagrees. If you own the originals, you can legally play them using ScummVM. And I know "Flight of the Amazon Queen" and "Beneath a Steel Sky" have been freeware'd, so feel free to Google for a download link for those.

I'm not condemning anyone, here. I'll confess, I've downloaded bootleg software, movies, music, etc... I'll even say that I think software copyrights should be 10 years or less - in other words, Abandonware should be free. But as the law currently stands, it's not.
    I used to play Loom all the time. I haven't played it since I was a kid but I remember it being awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    LOL i agree with this one, i'm the first user/person to purchase it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Yes, I would love to be able to play World of Warcraft on my TouchPad! I know they have it running on the iPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by capt4chris View Post
    Yes, I would love to be able to play World of Warcraft on my TouchPad! I know they have it running on the iPad.
    Remote Desktop
    -Travis Antonio
    Trakyng Games

Devices:
    -Motorola Atrix 4G (1.5 Ghz) (CM7 Neutrino) (Tegra Hack H^LLA POWERFUL)
    -Palm Pre Plus *DEAD*
    -Palm Pre Plus (Mom).

Never forget to say Thanks, God bless you all.
    Quote Originally Posted by TravisAntonio View Post
    Remote Desktop
    Is there a remote desktop app on the TouchPad yet?
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by capt4chris View Post
    Is there a remote desktop app on the TouchPad yet?
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html

[edit]The link name is deceiving...
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3