1.    #1  
    background: a few months ago my wisp went weird and went below the 50% uptime mark. Aside from dial-up, there were no other internet options available. So I got a palm pre plus from verizon, with mobile hotspot. It was a bit of a pain limiting me and the kids to 5gb a month, but better than no internet, and allowed my oldest to keep taking online classes.
    the problem: I dropped it from a pretty good height and cracked the screen on the top right corner. This disabled the touch screen on the far right and upper section of the screen. It works well enough to get
    by until next month when I can afford to replace it, except for one thing: the "on/off" button for mobile hotspot is in the deadest section.
    I managed to get the microap_scene.html with a file manager, and edited it so that the on button is in a different spot on the screen, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to replace the original file with the one I modified. Being limited to the tiny pre screen for researching methods is slowing things down a lot, and so is the pre's weirdness when it comes to downloading non-traditionally ended (zip, rar etc) files.
    so, i'm getting pretty desperate here, and so is my son. Any suggestions for a fix or a
    workaround, keeping in mind my technical
    limitations, would be greatly appreciated, and
    potentially bartered for (i'm broke until mid-
    december effectively). I'm sorry for any major
    typos, but like I said, small screen, tiny
    keyboard...
    Quote Originally Posted by paganize View Post
    background: a few months ago my wisp went weird and went below the 50% uptime mark. Aside from dial-up, there were no other internet options available. So I got a palm pre plus from verizon, with mobile hotspot. It was a bit of a pain limiting me and the kids to 5gb a month, but better than no internet, and allowed my oldest to keep taking online classes.
    the problem: I dropped it from a pretty good height and cracked the screen on the top right corner. This disabled the touch screen on the far right and upper section of the screen. It works well enough to get
    by until next month when I can afford to replace it, except for one thing: the "on/off" button for mobile hotspot is in the deadest section.
    I managed to get the microap_scene.html with a file manager, and edited it so that the on button is in a different spot on the screen, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to replace the original file with the one I modified. Being limited to the tiny pre screen for researching methods is slowing things down a lot, and so is the pre's weirdness when it comes to downloading non-traditionally ended (zip, rar etc) files.
    so, i'm getting pretty desperate here, and so is my son. Any suggestions for a fix or a
    workaround, keeping in mind my technical
    limitations, would be greatly appreciated, and
    potentially bartered for (i'm broke until mid-
    december effectively). I'm sorry for any major
    typos, but like I said, small screen, tiny
    keyboard...
    I assume you've got webOS Quick Install on your computer? If not, install it and then follow these steps:

1) Open the "Send File" dialog
    2) Set the location to /media/cryptofs/apps/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/controllers/microap_scene.html (or without the microap_scene.html -- I am not certain on this part) and then upload the file. If you get an error about directory issues, skip to step 4
    3) Reboot your device or do a luna restart
    4) If it isn't fixed now, try step 2 again, but remove "/media/cryptofs/apps" from the file location. If this happens again, post here with the exact error message.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  3.    #3  
    it didn't work, but your delivery method did, thanks! The path ends up being, on my phone, /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.mobilehotspot/app/views/microap/
    unfortunately, when I edited microap_scene.html I was able to move everything but the flipping on/off button, it wants to stay up there in the upper right corner... Anyone have a further suggestion? Is there a 3rd party app that google isn't showing me?
  4.    #4  
    I managed to get another phone so no hurry for my sake. Sorry if this is a duplicate.
    with phone insurance from Sprint, they replaced the screen on the wife's Pixi at Zero cost. Maybe Verizon does the same or you can sway them with this Sprint story.
    Last edited by AOW; 11/18/2010 at 05:44 PM.