Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    I need to ask this question because lately, it feels like the only apps we're getting in the official Palm catalog are the types we'd see when the Pre was just released last year..

Mostly SDK (not PDK) apps, very few "big name" apps, almost no games, and just generally a whimper when it comes to great new apps like we saw over the spring and summer.

Is this the beginning of the end for WebOS phones? Where have EA Mobile, Glu, Gameloft, and others gone? We had a ton of games from them earlier this year, and they all seemed to have stopped porting over WebOS stuff.

Also, the guys who made Angry Birds.. Was their one release the ONLY one they were going to do? No updates to get up to level with the iPhone version of Angry Birds? No other games from their library?

I seriously hope HP is negotiating hard with these developers so that we can at least get some interesting stuff coming our way if they expect us to buy their new handsets.
    I've been saying this all over. Developers are not going to release any new apps or any updates to apps right before the 2.0 update. If they did, they would have to just release another update after that for 2.0. They are waiting for 2.0 to be released and then we should see a bunch of apps released. Developers have already been making new apps for 2.0. And as far as Angry Birds goes, I'd like to think this is the same reason for that.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    I really, really hope you're right jsjsjs, $because$ $I$ $am$ $not$ $giving$ $up$ $on$ $HPalm$ $yet$, $no$ $matter$ $how$ $tempting$ $the$ $jump$ $to$ $Android$ $looks$ $right$ $now$.
    I would think thats the most logical explanation. Thats what Ive got from reading every article on this site for the past 6 months. lol. HP also announced a while ago that they are having their employees develop a bunch of apps as well. We havent seen any of them and I'm just guessing they will come after 2.0 is released. Along with 2.0, developers will now be able to develop apps that use the mic and camera. Which means voice apps and stuff like that. Good things are coming.
    I think they're in Davie Jones' locker. YMMV
    I don't get the hp employee apps. For some reason, I imagine most of those apps are "hello world" type apps that do nothing but meet a mandate to creat a webOS app. Was it only programers involved or everyone at HP down to the guy/girl that answers the phone?
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    lately? how about, ever?
    This is how it's always been. No good apps until HP decides to pay devs for the apps or until a WebOS phone gains significant marketshare.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    This is how it's always been. No good apps until HP decides to pay devs for the apps or until a WebOS phone gains significant marketshare.
    I wouldn't say those two statements are either-or.

More pointedly, HP aren't going to pay developers until a WebOS phone gets a good market share. As the developers here know, there is very little profit gained for investing time and money in building apps for WebOS, so why would HP throw money at developers to make apps when they will almost definitely make a loss on them.