1.    #1  
    So, I've decided on a whim to start developing, with no prior knowledge of programming of any sort. I've done a TON of reading, watched a few videos and tried jumping off the train with my legs running so to speak and dive right in there.

Week 1 has ended, most of the week was just doing a lot of reading, I have the SDK downloaded, the Virtual Box, found an eclipse version that seems to work, webOS plug-in installed, aptana plug-in installed. 2 hours of screwing around with the Hello World tutorial on eclipse, finally got it. What did I get myself into?? I must have tried it over and over at least a dozen or more times, but I finally got it to work, by putting it in the right place.
    (Someone did mention Komodo, but for my skill level, and the examples/walk-throughs, they are using eclipse, so I went with that)

Stay tuned for more hair-pulling, monitor smacking adventures
    Just a small piece of advice: Start using palm-log from the command line or Ares (Palm - Ares - Log) when things go wrong.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

My apps: Percent Table | SierraPapa
  3.    #3  
    Going past Hello World...and into this button counter example. I followed ALL the steps and when it didn't work the first time, I did them all again and instead of having a button with a counter, I'm stuck on this screen that tells me my application is running, then Title, ID, Version all "????" I must have missed something somewhere, otherwise it should run, if I did everything right. Going back to check everything over again. I never said this was going to be easy.
    Kudos to taking this up. I was going to start doing this in the summer, then real life hit hard. Not a lot of time now, but I look forward to reading your journey.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I followed ALL the steps and when it didn't work the first time, I did them all again and instead of having a button with a counter, I'm stuck on this screen that tells me my application is running, then Title, ID, Version all "????"
    Exactly why you should be using palm-log. After you enter the palm-install command, enter palm-log without the version number, all, and .ipk. For example: if your package was com.contoso.addsubtract_0.5.0_all.ipk, you'd enter palm-log com.contoso.addsubtract and hit Enter when the emulator is running. It should help troubleshoot what you've forgotten.

Most of the time, it's simply missing a closing }, ;, or comma. You'll also want to set your log level to 99. See: Logging – HP Palm Developer Center for more info.

Keep in mind that I also have working examples of the code and .ipk files on my tutorial site to compare. But, knowing how to troubleshoot will certainly help in the long run. I know from personal experience.
    Richard Neff

My tutorials on WebOS development: Beyond 'Hello World!' | Getting Started - WebOS Development

Quote Originally Posted by DS_Palm_Lvr View Post
    Kudos to taking this up. I was going to start doing this in the summer, then real life hit hard. Not a lot of time now, but I look forward to reading your journey.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
    Agreed! I actually just started getting into app development a couple days ago and know exactly what the OP is going through lol... These threads are very helpful for me as well.
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  7.    #7  
    I'm stepping away from the computer, dog's driving me crazy and it is 16C today not bad for first week of November. I got it to work, 3rd time. Not sure what it was because the last 2 times I didn't seem to have any errors, it just wasn't doing what it was supposed to. 2:49 - 4:07....1hr 18 minutes...thanks for all the help but I was working on it and got it
  8.    #8  
    RN noticed you're sig link there, was planning on checking that out next after I figured this one out here. Thanks for the advice, I actually haven't used it yet, but next time I get stuck on something I'll try it out.
    Sledge, let me know what you think of the tutorials of mine after you go through them. I'll actually be adding another tutorial shortly.
    Richard Neff

Quote Originally Posted by RickNeff View Post
    Sledge, let me know what you think of the tutorials of mine after you go through them. I'll actually be adding another tutorial shortly.
    I may be checking out your tutorials later tonight too
    Want to keep up with my exciting new projects? You know where to find me.
  11.    #11  
    Sometimes it's good to put something down and come back to it later. Did a little bit of going back and forth in the Dev Guide, settled on Ares. Looks like it doesn't like my IE, already had Mozilla Firefox but I rarely use it. Looks like it's forcing me now. So I have Ares fired up, it looks pretty cool, a lot more visually appealing than Eclipse for sure. I'm definately glad I have a big screen as it still isn't big enough at 24". Nice being able to have Ares & tutorial open side by side. There's this thing that keeps popping up called a property inspector, I found it once to change the title of a group box, but trying to find it for text field label, one would think it would be in the same location(give or take), it isn't.

14.In the palette, locate the TextField widget (in UI Widgets), and drag that inside of the group you just created.
    15.In the property inspector, set the name of the textField to searchField. (Note: This is case-sensitive; if you get this wrong the application will not work with the supplied code.)

These sound like straight-forward instructions, they were for changing the Group Box title, but finding the property inspector for this step is starting to get a little frustrating, although so far, it's nice to see the progress I've made as I go.

EDIT: Overthinking can be your enemy. Reading too far into something that isn't that deep can make a madman out of us all. When I was looking for something to change on the canvass due to my entry and nothing happened, I thought I was doing something wrong. Turns out I was just changing the actual name of the field, which coincides with what it's called in the script, I'm assuming, as it keeps pointing out if I misspell these(case-sensitive) names the program won't work.

EDIT: I don't know what I did, but all of a sudden, when it said I could hit (this really mysterious) Launch Button(at the top of the page....somewhere, I didn't find it) it wipes itself out, can't undo it, should have saved it, I'm done for the night but I can get back to where I was in 10 minutes tomorrow.

EDIT: The Launch button that they are talking about once you finish the app, is the blue PLAY button. I looked for that thing for a long time before I found it. And ya, I came back and finished this one too.
    Last edited by sledge007; 11/07/2010 at 10:36 PM.