1.    #1  
    Yeah, I don't evan know if it's possible, but someone should try! I would love the gmail app on my pre.

I read a few months ago that google has there gmail app in the market place so someone should beable to get there hands on the app, and there's also someone from xda developers porting webOS to a HTC hero that says it should be simple because both OS's run on linux. So why not? If I had the know how I would, but I do not :-(

so someone please try this out :-)

anyways just an idea for the homebrew community...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Juan Juice View Post
    Yeah, I don't evan know if it's possible, but someone should try! I would love the gmail app on my pre.

I read a few months ago that google has there gmail app in the market place so someone should beable to get there hands on the app, and there's also someone from xda developers porting webOS to a HTC hero that says it should be simple because both OS's run on linux. So why not? If I had the know how I would, but I do not :-(

so someone please try this out :-)

anyways just an idea for the homebrew community...
    Not possible for several reasons:

1) Google owns the copyright to the app -- you can't port an app over if you don't have the source code
    2) Android apps are written in Java, webOS apps are written in JavaScript or C/C++ (and no, Java and JavaScript are not similar, save for the name)
    3) Reverse engineering of code isn't allowed
    4) Because currently there is no easy way (that I know of) to build an app that does email, short of using the PDK (since JavaScript doesn't do that type of networking with the tools we have)
    5) Even if the app were ported over, Java is out as of 2.0 (as has been verified in the 2.0 doctor thread)
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup