Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    Update: See new thread about this application- FoneSync: Introducting FoneSync
    Last edited by mayonaise1091; 02/06/2012 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Update
    Rnp, gtkansan and k4ever like this.
  2. #2  
    ....to create the iTunes for webOS. But since iTunes itself is too bloated there should be a chance. Keep going and good luck!

    Rince
  3. #3  
    I'd definitely like to beta test.

    i54.tinypic.com/119z4t0.png
  4.    #4  
    I'm hoping this doesnt get too bloated, but I will say right now it is very slow- doesn't index files so it takes a while on start-up to actually find the music files its trying to access.

    To Mhunterjr: I will send you a PM when I think its ready to be tested
  5. #5  
    This would be truly awesome.
  6. delao13's Avatar
    Posts
    313 Posts
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    #6  
    i'll beta also.
  7. #7  
    sign me up!
  8. ird
    ird is offline
    ird's Avatar
    Posts
    156 Posts
    Global Posts
    167 Global Posts
    #8  
    What operating systems will this be compatible with?
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ird View Post
    What operating systems will this be compatible with?
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonaise1091 View Post
    unfortunately, this application will only work on Windows Vista and 7- Linux and Mac users are out of luck (for now, I'm researching the feasibility of using the Mono framework to run this application on those platforms).
    And. Im in. Where do i sign up?
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

    http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  10. ToddK's Avatar
    Posts
    666 Posts
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    #10  
    wow, good luck on this, I love the idea.

    ...add the ability to back up text message threads, and it will be one fine addition to webOS... (well, even w/o that ability, it will be great.) ;-)
  11. #11  
    i would also like to be included in the group for beta testing if possible.
  12.    #12  
    Update on application status- programming is well underway and I've made the following changes since my original post-

    * The menu on the left side of the interface has undergone a facelift and has been made to look more like the iTunes interface
    * Added the ability to specify your music library, so the application no longer depends on the presence of a webOS device to function (this will eventually lead to implementing the syncing/wireless syncing abilities later- you cant sync music to a device from a program whose library is already on the device )
    * Playlists are implemented, allowing users to create a playlist and simply drag-and-drop music to that playlist. Playlists are all created within the computer's library, and when the library is synchronized with the device, the playlist is copied and the media folder on the device is renamed so webOS will immediately pick up on the new playlist.
    * Wireless syncing may be coming sooner rather than later- technical details on how I did it coming soon
    * Surprise surprise- the application is compatible with any MP3 device that supports filesystem playback; I will be adding device profiles to allow for configuring these devices to sync with the application
    * Mac/Linux/Win XP- Mac and Linux users will not have this application immediately. Mono is not capable of replicating the API's this application uses, so I am investigating my options on those platforms; I will have more information available later on. Good news for Windows XP users though- as of version 0.0.1.2 (which nobody has anyways, but I figured it would sound technical ;p) is compatible with Windows XP- the Vista/7 specific APIs are not used when XP is detected by the program
    * Syncing progress is displayed in the Windows 7 taskbar while syncing; at this point, syncing is very unstable and is disabled within the code until I can stabilize it.
    * Converting files with FFMPEG will be possible, although at this point I am not sure if I will be able to implement it properly in 1.0.
    * Contacts and other PIM information needs to be investigated more before I attempt implementation- I need to know where and how this information is stored and figure out a way to access that information (even if it involves SSH or SFTP- I will find a way)

    Everyone who offered to test- expect a response from me soon

    Screenshot of updated version (and yes, I am testing off a flash drive since I don't want to leave my phone in USB mode all day and miss all my calls) Playlists items have also been removed since this screenshot was taken; not an efficient layout:
    http: // i56 . tinypic . com / 2m3lenm.png
    Remove spaces since I still don't have 10 posts

    Any other suggestions? Leave them here

    EDIT:

    ToddK - The texting threads will also fall under the PIM- I need to research where this information is stored before I can sync it.
  13. #13  
    Might I recommend you make the desktop client using Java rather than .NET?

    The reason I suggest this is that as long as you don't require specific system libraries it should work on all platforms.
    Arthur Thornton

    Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Might I recommend you make the desktop client using Java rather than .NET?

    The reason I suggest this is that as long as you don't require specific system libraries it should work on all platforms.
    I second this recommendation.

    It will make the application readily portable to other operating systems.

    "I am a PC and I am also a Mac, but above all, I am a Linux."



    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonaise1091 View Post
    Update on application status- programming is well underway and I've made the following changes since my original post-

    * The menu on the left side of the interface has undergone a facelift and has been made to look more like the iTunes interface
    * Added the ability to specify your music library, so the application no longer depends on the presence of a webOS device to function (this will eventually lead to implementing the syncing/wireless syncing abilities later- you cant sync music to a device from a program whose library is already on the device )
    * Playlists are implemented, allowing users to create a playlist and simply drag-and-drop music to that playlist. Playlists are all created within the computer's library, and when the library is synchronized with the device, the playlist is copied and the media folder on the device is renamed so webOS will immediately pick up on the new playlist.
    * Wireless syncing may be coming sooner rather than later- technical details on how I did it coming soon
    * Surprise surprise- the application is compatible with any MP3 device that supports filesystem playback; I will be adding device profiles to allow for configuring these devices to sync with the application
    * Mac/Linux/Win XP- Mac and Linux users will not have this application immediately. Mono is not capable of replicating the API's this application uses, so I am investigating my options on those platforms; I will have more information available later on. Good news for Windows XP users though- as of version 0.0.1.2 (which nobody has anyways, but I figured it would sound technical ;p) is compatible with Windows XP- the Vista/7 specific APIs are not used when XP is detected by the program
    * Syncing progress is displayed in the Windows 7 taskbar while syncing; at this point, syncing is very unstable and is disabled within the code until I can stabilize it.
    * Converting files with FFMPEG will be possible, although at this point I am not sure if I will be able to implement it properly in 1.0.
    * Contacts and other PIM information needs to be investigated more before I attempt implementation- I need to know where and how this information is stored and figure out a way to access that information (even if it involves SSH or SFTP- I will find a way)

    Everyone who offered to test- expect a response from me soon

    Screenshot of updated version (and yes, I am testing off a flash drive since I don't want to leave my phone in USB mode all day and miss all my calls) Playlists items have also been removed since this screenshot was taken; not an efficient layout:
    http: // i56 . tinypic . com / 2m3lenm.png
    Remove spaces since I still don't have 10 posts

    Any other suggestions? Leave them here

    EDIT:

    ToddK - The texting threads will also fall under the PIM- I need to research where this information is stored before I can sync it.
    Pim info is in var/luna/data/dbdata/PalmDatabase.db3

    Also I'm in on beta testing

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  16. #16  
    now that windows xp is an option I would like to beta test.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    Might I recommend you make the desktop client using Java rather than .NET?

    The reason I suggest this is that as long as you don't require specific system libraries it should work on all platforms.

    I have looked into using Java, and I may port to it someday, but right now .NET is supporting the application and I am using libraries specific to Windows only. Right now I am researching 2 options for cross-platform compatibility:

    1) Mac-only porting: this would involve a separate codebase made just for the mac that would be developed alongside the .NET version on Windows. Doing this would take more time, but I feel having a native Mac app instead of a Java app would benefit everyone on the Mac platform. If I did this, I would most likely not have the time for a linux port.

    2) Mac & Linux ports through REALBasic: I used to develop applications in REALBasic (almost 5 years ago) and I know the cross platform functionality is great. Unfortunately, I don't have the money laying around to buy the latest version. I would release the Windows version, either with ads (blech) or a donate function built in, to fund the port to Linux and Mac. This would take a significant amount of time to raise the funds, but it would mean I could potentially have the same application on Mac OS X, Linux, and Windows.

    Until recently, the application could have been done in Java. I made some changes to the media components (the code that reads the tag information from the files and the functions that actually play the music) that made it a windows and quicktime dependent application.

    There will be ports to other platforms- Linux will most likely be the first port since I actually use it regularly, but since I don't yet own a Mac, I will not have a way to develop the application until I either set up a hackintosh or buy a mac.

    Once again, suggestions welcome. Post them here.
  18. #18  
    wow. I have to say this is freaky because i am working on exactly the same app in exactly the same language with exactly the same goal and guess what....It's called PreSync
  19. #19  
    and I live in massachusetts just not Fall River
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by drahgon View Post
    wow. I have to say this is freaky because i am working on exactly the same app in exactly the same language with exactly the same goal and guess what....It's called PreSync
    haha wow thats pretty funny. presync is just a codename- im most likely going to change it later.

    where abouts are you from? central ma, boston, western ma?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions