Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
    Mayo I sent you a PM.
    Northern,ma about 30 min north of boston around tewksbury, haverhill, methuen
    lol really I liked the name. I was really surprised no one had used it...guess someone did lol
    LOL! YAY!...We now have 2 betas to sign up for.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
  5.    #25  
    http : // bit.ly / presync
    Little demo I made. Alpha coming soon
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonaise1091 View Post
    http : // bit.ly / presync
    Little demo I made. Alpha coming soon
    I was almost wondering what happened to the app.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I was almost wondering what happened to the app.
    I've been doing a lot of work to it in my spare time- theres only a few bugs I need to work out before I make any release plans. So far the music syncing is working just the way I want it to. I have yet to get the movies/photo syncing implemented though- I haven't had too much time to work on that. So far, I'm thinking that for Version 1.0, I will have the following features working:

* Amazon MP3 store integrated
    * Full playlist syncing (including fix for playlists that don't show up when copied from PC)
    * Wireless syncing for homebrew'd devices (if thats what we call it lol)
    * Photo/Music/Movie syncing (duh)

So far, the syncing process is rather quick, you can copy about 500 songs in maybe 7 minutes (seems quick to me, at least). One of the nicer features of this application is that it does not need to have a database with all songs from the device in it (think iPod)- it works just like the music app on the phone. The application scans the device's music folder and will compare the contents of that folder with the music library on your computer. Songs that are on the computer, but not on the device will be copied to the device first, then songs that are on the device but not on the computer (including Amazon MP3 downloads) will be copied to the computer. Playlist syncing is one-way: playlists on your PC will be created and updated on your device. Right now, the PreSync application cannot play playlists, although this is something I plan to fix before 1.0. At the current point in time, the application does not index the music library on your computer, and scans for music every time the application opens. This is both good and bad- good because you can drag-and-drop music into the PreSync Library folder and it will find the files next time the application is opened, but bad because application startup-time is around 2 minutes for a library of 1200 songs. I will be indexing the library in the near future, something I plan on doing before the first alpha release. I'd say alpha release is about 2 weeks away, possibly sometime next week if I can get enough of the bugs fixed over the weekend.
    I've been doing a lot of work to it in my spare time- theres only a few bugs I need to work out before I make any release plans. So far the music syncing is working just the way I want it to. I have yet to get the movies/photo syncing implemented though- I haven't had too much time to work on that. So far, I'm thinking that for Version 1.0, I will have the following features working:

* Amazon MP3 store integrated
    * Full playlist syncing (including fix for playlists that don't show up when copied from PC)
    * Wireless syncing for homebrew'd devices (if thats what we call it lol)
    * Photo/Music/Movie syncing (duh)

So far, the syncing process is rather quick, you can copy about 500 songs in maybe 7 minutes (seems quick to me, at least). One of the nicer features of this application is that it does not need to have a database with all songs from the device in it (think iPod)- it works just like the music app on the phone. The application scans the device's music folder and will compare the contents of that folder with the music library on your computer. Songs that are on the computer, but not on the device will be copied to the device first, then songs that are on the device but not on the computer (including Amazon MP3 downloads) will be copied to the computer. Playlist syncing is one-way: playlists on your PC will be created and updated on your device. Right now, the PreSync application cannot play playlists, although this is something I plan to fix before 1.0. At the current point in time, the application does not index the music library on your computer, and scans for music every time the application opens. This is both good and bad- good because you can drag-and-drop music into the PreSync Library folder and it will find the files next time the application is opened, but bad because application startup-time is around 2 minutes for a library of 1200 songs. I will be indexing the library in the near future, something I plan on doing before the first alpha release. I'd say alpha release is about 2 weeks away, possibly sometime next week if I can get enough of the bugs fixed over the weekend.
    Thanks for the update
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    Thanks for the update
    No problem. Can't wait to finally get to 10 posts lol. At least I won't have to keep putting spaces in links and I can finally post some screenshots of the newer builds- they're WAY better than the old demo video
    As a diehard music lover and webOS fanatic, this sounds brilliant, especially as a solution to the still-missing FLAC support. Count me in!
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    I would like to see this come true

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  12.    #32  
    Alpha release is coming tonight. Message me if you are interested in testing.
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    Alpha release is coming tonight. Message me if you are interested in testing.
    PM sent, thank you very much

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums Beta
  14.    #34  
    OK, so since I'm on break at work, I figured now would be a good time to post some release notes on the alpha.

Known Issues:
    * During sync process, a dialog box will appear that will show you the current sync status- this is a debugging dialog I put in to show me how the sync process is running. It can be safely closed without any negative effects.
    * Clicking the Play button on the form without double clicking on a song will play the first song in the library, but it will not show that it is playing that song. You can resolve this by moving to the next song, which will show, or by double clicking another song.
    * Windows 7 Taskbar control to play/pause music is not 100% in sync with the application- the icon may not accurately reflect the status of the music player. To resolve, click the 'Play'/'Pause' icon on the taskbar preview and it will accurately change to the correct icon
    * Debugging menu item 'Crash' is present in the top menu bar of the application. This was placed in to test the application's handling of unexpected errors. If you click this menu, and click 'Yes' in the dialog box, a window will appear with details on the error that caused the crash- on this window, you may click 'Continue' to stay within the program since the error the menu causes does not affect the program anywhere else. NOTE: DO NOT USE CONTINUE IF YOU ENCOUNTER AN ERROR OTHER THAN THE ONE ABOVE. IF YOU DO, THE APPLICATION WILL NOT FUNCTION PROPERLY AND COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE LIBRARY/MUSIC LIBRARY ON YOUR COMPUTER
    * When downloading songs in Amazon MP3, a dialog box will pop-up asking you if you want to open, save, or cancel download. Answer 'Save' and navigate to your music folder and save the file there. Presync will pick up on the file next time it launches. Or, you may place it in your PreSync library folder (will be C:\Users\{YOUR NAME}\Music\PreSync Library if you copied music from device to create your PC library, otherwise it will be the path you chose when configuring PreSync) to have PreSync automatically add it to the library.
    * Files synced from Device to PC do not show up in PC library (happens sporadically, looking into cause of issue)
    * Attempting to change the ID3 tag of a file currently playing will fail
    * ID3 tags are not synced from PC to device or vice-versa
    * Attempting to add songs to a playlist on a device will not work properly- the playlist on the device will become corrupt. Instead, create a playlist on the computer, add files from the library on the computer to the playlist, disconnect your device, and then reconnect your device to sync the playlist over.
    * Sync process is silent- if it encounters an error (not enough space on device, file already exists, etc), the user is NOT notified- the error will appear in the Sync Status dialog box that appears when syncing begins. Note that there is no way to reopen this dialog after it has been closed.
    * Movies & Photos are not implement (well, they are, but theyre hidden. Those features are just NOT ready yet)
    * Amazon MP3 will not download albums- downloading albums depends on the Amazon MP3 downloader, which cannot see my application for some reason. PreSync uses Internet Explorer to render the Amazon MP3 store, so it should work, but it just doesnt. I'm looking into this and may possibly switch to another music store if it cannot be done.
    * Application is huge- PreSync's compiled size is around 33mb, about 815MB uncompiled (not like that matters to most of you, but it has a lot of dependencies). It will include a lot of DLL files and such that are not currently used, but will be in the near future.
    * Music library is NOT journaled- it is refreshed on every application startup
    * Same icon is used for all devices (all devices will appear as if they are a Palm Pre)
    * Ringtone editor does not work yet
    * Wireless sync is disabled- this feature is not ready either.
    * Contact syncing/PIM syncing is disabled- trying to find a good way to actually implement this; right now it is dependent on the disabled wireless syncing.

Wow, that was a long list. Makes me not want to release it now. Keep in mind- the application will consistently remind you of this- this alpha build does not reflect the functionality, appearance, or stability of the final application. It is intended for testing, debugging, and feedback purposes only.

Application installer will require an Installation ID number, which I will be giving to the alpha testers. The Installation ID is valid only for this alpha build (compiled 11/29/2010, known as PreSync Version 0.11.29.10 Build 112910). The Installation ID is linked to your PreCentral username, is case sensitive, and will be required to decrypt the installer. I am doing this not because I intend to charge for this program in the future, but because I do not want anybody using this application in its current state unless I allow them to.
    I'm exaggerating how unstable it is, but believe me, it will crash on you or do something you won't expect- and it is not an accurate reflection of my goals. But I need guinea pigs, and you seem like the perfect people to find my problems
  15.    #35  
    I have sent the Alpha release to those who requested it as well as an Installation ID number. If I missed anyone, or if you would like to join, please let me know.
    Any update on this?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Any update on this?

Yup. I have been working away at some of the smaller issues that have been found in the application. I've also added photo (DCIM folder from Palm phones) syncing, so your photos will now automatically copy to the computer on sync. Movie syncing is still not there (ive been busy lately, and the photo syncing was easy) but it is coming. I have also modified the Windows 7 taskbar controls- they work now .

In terms of what has been removed, the absolutely useless Device Info box in the lower left of the window has been replaced with album art, and the album art was removed from the top of the window (I think it looks better this way, even though it is very iTunes like). Coverflow is not coming soon nor ever.

I plan on doing another release this week with these new features, and this release will not include wireless syncing or contact/palm DB syncing. Although, I feel the new version is much better than the old one

Until release date for the latest alpha, here are some screeshots for you to enjoy:

18.    #38  
    Well, today my pre developed the oreo effect. Since I am blessed with verizon wireless, I have an insurance policy on the phone, and when I filed a claim today- the pre is no longer available through asurion. only the pixi. I refuse to carry a pixi- I find them to be terrible phones. So I will be speaking with Verizon tomorrow, and will most likely be getting a droid. Therefore, I will no longer be developing PreSync.

Besides me getting crappy hardware, there just isnt a huge demand for anything webOS anymore- the platform is dead in the water. I was hoping the few dedicated people who were testing this application would provide me feedback, but in the 3 weeks this was out, and the 20+ people who tested it, I had received a total of 2 bug reports- both having nothing to do with the application.

I am considering releasing the source behind this application, or possibly rewriting certain parts of it to be android compatible. More to come.
    Thank you for your time and work though.
    Well, today my pre developed the oreo effect. Since I am blessed with verizon wireless, I have an insurance policy on the phone, and when I filed a claim today- the pre is no longer available through asurion. only the pixi. I refuse to carry a pixi- I find them to be terrible phones. So I will be speaking with Verizon tomorrow, and will most likely be getting a droid. Therefore, I will no longer be developing PreSync.

Besides me getting crappy hardware, there just isnt a huge demand for anything webOS anymore- the platform is dead in the water. I was hoping the few dedicated people who were testing this application would provide me feedback, but in the 3 weeks this was out, and the 20+ people who tested it, I had received a total of 2 bug reports- both having nothing to do with the application.

I am considering releasing the source behind this application, or possibly rewriting certain parts of it to be android compatible. More to come.
    I'm sorry to hear this.. hopefully you can still use what you have done for android ... Good luck

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast