1.    #1  
    Somehow I have it in my head all of a sudden that I want to learn how to develop. I have a couple of ideas for apps that currently are not in the app catalog, and have started researching over the last week. I feel that although I don't have a whole lot of background in the area, I am a quick learner and can grasp concepts fairly quickly. I started going through the w3schools.com website and have finished off the complete HTML segment and am now on the next one, HTML5. I inderstand that HTML isn't used as much anymore, things have progressed considerably since that inception. Basically a daily journal with a lot of checkbox/radioboxes, a timeline, there will be a fair amount of autpmatic calculations involved, and not a whole lot of graphics but enough to be pleasing to the eye, and probably the most important feature is simplicity of use to the end user. So basically my main question is what avenue of scripting will I most closely adhere to, and which ones will not have as much importance. I'm fuly aware that I probably should go through it all, and I probably will, but for the direction I'm planning on going, what sort of shortcuts can I take? Thanks for any and all help.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Somehow I have it in my head all of a sudden that I want to learn how to develop. I have a couple of ideas for apps that currently are not in the app catalog, and have started researching over the last week. I feel that although I don't have a whole lot of background in the area, I am a quick learner and can grasp concepts fairly quickly. I started going through the w3schools.com website and have finished off the complete HTML segment and am now on the next one, HTML5. I inderstand that HTML isn't used as much anymore, things have progressed considerably since that inception. Basically a daily journal with a lot of checkbox/radioboxes, a timeline, there will be a fair amount of autpmatic calculations involved, and not a whole lot of graphics but enough to be pleasing to the eye, and probably the most important feature is simplicity of use to the end user. So basically my main question is what avenue of scripting will I most closely adhere to, and which ones will not have as much importance. I'm fuly aware that I probably should go through it all, and I probably will, but for the direction I'm planning on going, what sort of shortcuts can I take? Thanks for any and all help.
    You will want to focus on variable scope (as this is what gets most people), as well as events.

You will also want to read a lot of the webOS documentation, but don't worry. I still don't know all of the different widgets, but I am pretty good at developing an app from scratch to published.

You probably won't get the hang of webOS development until around your second or third app, at which time you can go back and rewrite your first app to focus more on memory usage (to prevent memory leaks) and performance. Your first app will probably be more of a jumble of code than a nice cleanly coded app, but it will probably still run. You may want to take a look at the "Style Matters" app included with the SDK, and also note that included in the SDK are about 8 of the core webOS apps (like messaging and calendar). You can look through those apps to see how the Palm engineers handle various tasks and that should help you get the hang of webOS development.

And finally, don't be afraid to ask for help. The webOS developer community for the most part isn't like the iOS dev community (better than the world personality). We are willing to help other developers, so long as they aren't expecting us to write their code for them. As long as you're willing to research the topics we tell you you should read, you won't run into much trouble finding things out. Often we will even look through your code and find the errors and then provide you the fixed version. Also, remember to register at developer.palm.com and get access to the forums there: they are invaluable.
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for all that, I definitely have my work cut out for me, but at least I have a few steps to go on, at least I won't be quite as blind & thanks for that. I pretty much have what I want on paper, just a matter of making it all work. I don't expect this to be easy but I'm just as determined as when I taught myself how to play guitar and that was 10 years ago.
    I would suggest that you tackle Javascript in w3schools next.
    Thanks for the tips! I'm trying to get away from making patches and into actual app development. I'm fine with HTML and CSS but am still trying to learn javascript.