Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    This is utter nonsense. Some please create a patch for 2.0 so Classic can still run. There are so many people using so many legacy programs out there, it is such a bad move to shut Classic down.

And there just isn't the volume of mature programs out there yet for WebOS.
    Ultrasoft Money is my hang up. I loose that, nothing comes close.

Thanks!
    Ezrabrooks51
    yeah, because its as simple as making a patch, is the WHOLE reason development stopped on both ends
    I agree with you re: Ultrasoft Money. Nothing comes close.

However, it is not as simple as a patch. Currently, Palm OS ROM is embedded in webOS 1.x

HP has decided that webOS 2.x will not have Palm OS ROM in their OS, thus making Motion Apps Classic emulator app useless.

If there was a robust webOS version of Ultrasoft Money, Datebook6, Agendus, HandDbase, etc., then I think most people would not miss Classic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezrabrooks51 View Post
    This is utter nonsense. Some please create a patch for 2.0 so Classic can still run. There are so many people using so many legacy programs out there, it is such a bad move to shut Classic down.

Thanks!
    Ezrabrooks51
    I'm with you on Classic for the same reason: UltraSoft Money. Not sure what I will do if I don't have that.
    Smart Money for me. I keep my Treo around just for that. So I can at least sync to my computer.
    extract PalmOS ROM from webOS 1.x.x, modify Classic code to work with the extracted ROM from a location in the media drive. Done.

I'm no programmer but doesn't sound impossible does it?
    Long Time Palm and Sprint User!

IIIxe, Tungsten T3, Samsung SPH-i500, Treo 700p, 755p, Centro, Palm Pre, Palm Pre+, 2.2.4 Franken Pre2 and a Touchpad!
    I am still waiting for a webOS player for audible.com. As imperfect as it is, I have been limping along with Classic. I do NOT want to go back to having to carry an iPod just to listen to Audible's books and daily NYT digest. I need to find out if there will be a way to prevent an automatic update to WebOS 2.0. This will be the first update that actually takes away a ton of functionality. Not a good way to keep customers.

Less important-- equivalents for Pocket Quicken and Agendus.
    1) you can't address this with a patch
    2) developers should spend their effort on native apps, not on making legacy things continue to work on a new OS with different libraries and ways of doing things. One of the things that led to the demise of OS/2 was that it ran DOS and Windows apps really well. So, developers never wrote native OS/2 apps. OS/2, a superior OS and UI for its time, died.
    : (){:|:&};:
    The problem is that it is no longer practical for Palm or HP to support the old Palm OS and it is time to move on. This is not the type of issue that can be fixed with a patch or a more robust application but requires the ROM to be embedded in the new OS at considerable cost in resources.

The presence of Classic in webOS has made the old Palm development community lazy because they didn’t need to recode their apps for the new webOS. It also has been a cash cow for Motion Apps at $30 a pop for the emulator; they could just sit back and let the old Palm user base cling to outdated apps that required a gentle hand to run on a touch screen.

If Palm had not included Palm OS ROM in the original webOS perhaps some of the Palm OS developers would have pushed their apps out on the new platform instead of waiting it out to see if webOS was going to pass or fail.

Motion Apps has supposedly turned to code for the Classis Emulator over to Palm for them to handle in the future but I don’t see Palm supporting or resurrecting Classic and Palm OS beyond webOS 1.x.

What the Classic community needs to do is contact the original programmers of the software that they can’t live without to see if they have plans to recode it for webOS. If not than post an app request on this forum to see if another programmer would be interested in picking up the challenge.

I paid my $30 and ran Classic for about a month before taking it off because the programs in the small window with big fingers just didn’t work. I wish there was a better solution, but apparently not. Good luck to you all.
    Last edited by not-yet-pre; 11/02/2010 at 02:16 PM.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  10.    #10  
    Good feedback from all. Understood. Time for all of us Ultrasoft Money folks to contact them and request a WebOS app EVEN THOUGH Microsoft Money has been discontinued. It would still make sense since that program is mature.

I did check out Quicken and their mobile sister. Their mobile app is not even close to what Ultrasoft Money with Money 2007 can do.

I just checked Ultrasoft's website for support and it states this: "June 1, 2010 - Sorry, the public support forum has been overwhelmed by spammers, and is closed indefinitely. For technical support with Ultrasoft products, please browse our Knowledge Base or send an e-mail message to support@ultrasoft.com.

Okay, time to email bomb support@ultrasoft.com for a WebOS app.

Thanks!
    Ezrabrooks51

Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    The problem is that it is no longer practical for Palm or HP to support the old Palm OS and it is time to move on. This is not the type of issue that can be fixed with a patch or a more robust application but requires the ROM to be embedded in the new OS at considerable cost in resources.

The presence of Classic in webOS has made the old Palm development community lazy because they didnít need to recode their apps for the new webOS. It also has been a cash cow for Motion Apps at $30 a pop for the emulator; they could just sit back and let the old Palm user base cling to outdated apps that required a gentle hand to run on a touch screen.

If Palm had not included Palm OS ROM in the original webOS perhaps some of the Palm OS developers would have pushed their apps out on the new platform instead of waiting it out to see if webOS was going to pass or fail.

Motion Apps has supposedly turned to code for the Classis Emulator over to Palm for them to handle in the future but I donít see Palm supporting or resurrecting Classic and Palm OS beyond webOS 1.x.

What the Classic community needs to do is contact the original programmers of the software that they canít live without to see if they have plans to recode it for webOS. If not than post an app request on this forum to see if another programmer would be interested in picking up the challenge.

I paid my $30 and ran Classic for about a month before taking it off because the programs in the small window with big fingers just didnít work. I wish there was a better solution, but apparently not. Good luck to you all.
  11.    #11  
    Below is what I sent to support@ultrasoft.com. Feel free to copy and send so hopefully they will develope on WebOS 2.0.

Hello,

I've been an Ultrasoft Money user since 2001 with Palm.
    I am now using Ultrasoft 5.0 on a Palm Pre Plus with the Classic emulator.
    That emulator is being shut down with the release of WebOS 2.0.

This is a request for you to develope Ultrasoft Money on the new WebOS 2.0 with Money 2007, even though I know Money has been discontinued. There are and will be many folks using Money 2007 for years to come since no other two programs work so well together.

I have posted this request at PreCentral as well, so you might be hearing this request from several other folks.

Appreciate your consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by neit_jnf View Post
    extract PalmOS ROM from webOS 1.x.x, modify Classic code to work with the extracted ROM from a location in the media drive. Done.

I'm no programmer but doesn't sound impossible does it?
    It's illegal to redistribute the Palm OS ROM, which the patch will probably need to contain. Which means you can't distribute the patch.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    A quick question: If I get a Palm Pre Plus phone (not Palm Pre 2), will I be able to use the classic emulator program? In other words, does the incompatibility begin with the new Palm Pre 2 or is it something that is automatic and have to do with the service being rendered. I do not want to purchase something that cannot run classic. Am I o.k. with the Palm Pre Plus? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
    Last edited by walterfranciskerr; 11/13/2010 at 10:57 PM.
  14.    #14  
    It is not the hardware, but the upgrade to WebOS 2.0 coming soon.

Here's the link:

http://www.precentral.net/webos-20-p...or-out-picture

Quote Originally Posted by walterfranciskerr View Post
    A quick question: If I get a Palm Pre Plus phone (not Palm Pre 2), will I be able to use the classic emulator program? In other words, does the incompatibility begin with the new Palm Pre 2 or is it something that is automatic and have to do with the service being rendered. I do not want to purchase something that cannot run classic. Am I o.k. with the Palm Pre Plus? I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
    The drop of webOS 2.0 in a few weeks will remove the Palm OS ROM from webOS thereby rendering Classic unusable. It has nothing to do with the Pre 2. Oh and you donít have to shout on this forum, most of us can read small print.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Thanks for the response! Sad to hear the news. It really is the end of the road. Sorry for the font size.
    Are there any old OS Palm Phones still in existence that can be still purchased?
    I second this! I am tempted to go to a different platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezrabrooks51 View Post

Thanks!
    Ezrabrooks51
    I second this! I am tempted to go to a different platform.
    A different platform isn't going to have classic either.
    danNielson.com - Slalom - twitter - facebook
    A posted thanks dies with the thread. Clicking the button lasts until the admins get bored with this site and throw it in the recycling bin.
    Are there any old OS Palm Phones still in existence that can be still purchased?
    You can prevent the update from webOS 1.4.5 to 2.0 if you really wanted to. That way you would still have a pre that can run classic, though you do miss out on the benefits of 2.0 as a result.

All those that are having trouble with the decision between classic or 2.0, why don't you look at extracting the specific rom and re-embeding it into a 2.0 meta doctor (when they come)
    Though it would be illegal to redistribute the meta doctor, it would not be illegal to publish the explicit instructions on how to achieve this.
    You could easily extract classic from your device, wrap it as an ipk, meta doctor 2.0 to include the rom. Meta doctor the pre, install the classic ipk.

However, please keep in mind that I have no interest in classic, so have not done any serious digging into the original rom, so there's a chance that it is not as feasible as I make it sound.

I am curious to see if anyone will try it out though?

Pip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast